S5 4.2 good buy?

matthewsarg

Reaction score
been after an s3 for a while then I heard a s5 drive past me the other day and I just wonder how good is the 4.2 s5? It's the sort of power standard that I would want to get out of an s3 with a great sound track and the price about the same as an s3 , are they a good buy Or is it just a ticking time bomb?

On the whole they are pretty reliable. Obviously the 4.2 was only available on the older B8 platform, so yo will be buying an older car with higher mileage, which like any car comes with additional risk.

Main problem I have seen pop up a few times is the clutch with the 6MT versions. Would be worth looking at carbon cleaning with higher mileage as well.

Great power and noise stock, but as with any NA engine, engine modification is limited. If you have deep pockets you could go an add a supercharger and get an absolute beast of an S5....!

Absolutely love mine, it's an 08 with 53k on the clock. Gets lots of admiring looks as I rumble around town, is awesome away from the lights but is also a very relaxed long distance cruiser and will pull cleanly from 1k revs in any gear and howls when nearing the redline.
The only downsides are the £500+ road tax and 23mpg but I knew that when I bought it.
The V8 is not so tuneable as the newer V6 but the better sound makes up for that.

Loved ours when we had it, looks great (even now) and sounds even better. The one thing that did annoy me was the auto flare of revs as you pull away from zero, programmed in apparently due to light flywheel.

TX.

I love mine
£500 tax is only down side
23-27 mpg daily
9.6 mpg on track

Reactions: voorhees
I think the B8 S5 looks gorgeous! One of the nicest Looking audi models imo.
Mines in the £500+ tax band aswell now, definite downside:tired:

I just bought my 4.2 s5 in June but although it can't be tuned I love the sound it produces it's one of the nicest sounding cars on the market I've looked at tuning options and there aren't any so it looks like I have what I have which I must say is fast enough haha

I just bought my 4.2 s5 in June but although it can't be tuned I love the sound it produces it's one of the nicest sounding cars on the market I've looked at tuning options and there aren't any so it looks like I have what I have which I must say is fast enough haha

Would recommend a carbon clean. Depending on the mileage, carbon build up can result in a lot of escaped horses. Nice cheap way to gain those back!