S5 Annoyances

zseth

Reaction score
so after posting my thread about stone chips to front end, i thought id make this thread to highlight annoyances woth the car as it seems to be letting me down:

Alarm triggers sometimes just after iv locked the car for no reason

Tailgate opens with water splashing against the quarter panels soaking papers etc i have in hand or in boot

Bolsters have worn quite badly considering under 4k miles

Accelarator Pedal - i wish it was like bmw wher whole foot rests on the pedal from the floor

Rattle from plastic cover under steering wheel footwell

Terrible mpg for my use - though its not the cars fault

Limp mode come on today randomly indicating drive system fault - awaiting technician from audi assist tomorrow morning to see whats going on

Rant over.... for now

Attachments

• E027F85A-DC5C-4BC2-B56A-620C0A9CA11D.jpeg
    E027F85A-DC5C-4BC2-B56A-620C0A9CA11D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 727
  • D91C1B52-B51F-43F8-865E-061DDB293340.png
    D91C1B52-B51F-43F8-865E-061DDB293340.png
    119.5 KB · Views: 590
Update

Audi technician came out and updated engine software (common issue)

No more drive fault

Update

Audi technician came out and updated engine software (common issue)

No more drive fault

Did this improve your throttle response? May ring my Audi Assist/Driverline to query getting mine done.

And yes, how much fun is it watching water **** into the boot....

Throttle felt sharper for sure

However id say this was down to the gearbox software update they did for me

Reactions: SRB93
Try a soapy microfiber on the bolsters and steering wheel. A few rubs and a clean damp microfiber to rinse off. Theyll come up like new - back to matt. After 14k miles mine still come up like new!

Steam clean your drivers seat ever 1000 miles. The heat from the steamer cleans out any crap embedded in the leather and helps tighten up any looseness.

Throttle felt sharper for sure

However id say this was down to the gearbox software update they did for me

This just flashed up for me this morning, did you use Audi Driver Line to book out the technician?

Did you also ask for the gearbox software update or did they just update it anyway?

This just flashed up for me this morning, did you use Audi Driver Line to book out the technician?

Did you also ask for the gearbox software update or did they just update it anyway?

I called audi driver line (very good response)

Also asked the technician to check gearbox software and sort for me which he was more than happy to do

Also asked the technician to check gearbox software and sort for me which he was more than happy to do

Indeed, technician came out 40mins later from calling the driver line.

He confirmed it was a common fault, updated this along with the gearbox, looking forward to the drive home

Indeed, technician came out 40mins later from calling the driver line.

He confirmed it was a common fault, updated this along with the gearbox, looking forward to the drive home

Would they groan if say... the exhaust valves were unplugged :grin:

Would they groan if say... the exhaust valves were unplugged :grin:

I’ve not unplugged mine but I don’t think the technician really cared.

I had a look at his laptop screen as it was loading everything on and there were so many error messages anyway, lots that obvious happen behind the scenes which are not very serious.

It took a while for him to locate the actual error so unless they were looking out for it, it would be easily missed.

This is all dependent on the technicians attention to detail which is anyone’s guess!

Who did you call? I called Audi Driverline and they were so confused about me asking for a technician to come out a complete a Gearbox software update.. like it was never heard of. Said they would only be able to do it if there was a recall and it would be done at my garage.

I called audi driver line and option for breakdown assistance

This was not just for gearbox update, the car had an error light on

I called audi driver line and option for breakdown assistance

This was not just for gearbox update, the car had an error light on

According to Audi UK and driver line, there is not update out for any software changes (Gearbox & Transmission) what so ever.

Slightly confused now.

According to Audi UK and driver line, there is not update out for any software changes (Gearbox & Transmission) what so ever.

Slightly confused now.

Just book it in to your dealer and complain of hesitant gearshifts .

There is an update. Just Driverlibe don't want to have to send techs out unless your properly broken down.

its great that some of you guys have apparently had this software update. but i've called my local audi and they say there is no such update. what do we need to do to get this sorted? if driverline also dont seem to have a clue , i'm not wasting a day or so getting my car booked in to to be "looked at" by some incompetent audi technician for them to tell me they dont see any problem with it and that there is no update. seems to me that it is a bit of a rock/hard place situation. maybe those of you who have had this update can find out the details of said update for the rest of us to take to the garage?? i dunno.

Reactions: SRB93
its great that some of you guys have apparently had this software update. but i've called my local audi and they say there is no such update. what do we need to do to get this sorted? if driverline also dont seem to have a clue , i'm not wasting a day or so getting my car booked in to to be "looked at" by some incompetent audi technician for them to tell me they dont see any problem with it and that there is no update. seems to me that it is a bit of a rock/hard place situation. maybe those of you who have had this update can find out the details of said update for the rest of us to take to the garage?? i dunno.

I'm in the same boat as you... Audi DriverLine and my dealership have both said nothing is out or needs updating in terms of software.

Yes!!!! It maybe broke.
Trick was to not drive it for 14 days.
I'll act dumb and just ask what the fix was after its done.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180513-151223.png
    Screenshot_20180513-151223.png
    337.6 KB · Views: 556
  • Screenshot_20180513-151226.png
    Screenshot_20180513-151226.png
    148.8 KB · Views: 480
Yes!!!! It maybe broke.
Trick was to not drive it for 14 days.
I'll act dumb and just ask what the fix was after its done.
Must have just been the app, car had no fault messages when I took it out earlier.
Damn!!

Visited audi dealer today to raise concerns as follows:

Dangerous lag pulling out of give ways or changing lane/kick down

Fluttering/rattle at idle almost like a diesel!

Vibrating rattle/buzzing sound when foot off throttle and revs come down

Hissing on hard acceleration (almost like a boost leak)

Above will be looked into in 2 months which is the next available book in!!!!

Below the advisor basically said ‘yeh, cant do much about that really’

Bolster creases
Folding seat rattle when in normal position

Audi are no dyson about their creations i tell you, so far not impressed, lets see what they say after they have car in (hoping its not just a ‘everything is fine and couldnt find anything wrong’)

Limp mode come on today randomly indicating drive system fault - awaiting technician from audi assist tomorrow morning to see whats going on

Rant over.... for now

Was this with Start Stop engaged? I has the issue where it goes into limp mode as it believes the radiator fan doesn't work, not happened since I disabled start stop though and I certainly wasn't going to wait over a month and a half for Audi to have a slot to take a look at it!

Actually, you didn't get the start stop disabled message so probably not, glad the 'hopefully' sorted it :)

I didnt realise it was to do with the start stop but that issue never returned after a software update

New host of issues though

I must be lucky as mine seems to behaving, especi6since I have retrofitted a bunch of stuff too.

The limp mode issue I had was due to absensors on the radiator fan or something but only happened with start stop active when stopping and starting a lot, happened at a drive through. Never happened after killing start stop.

Wow, sounds like some of you have a Friday end of production S5. Had no issues with mine whatsoever after 2 years, although the D mode can be sluggish when pulling away which is inherent in all B9 S4/5. There is no actual Audi fix for this, even the reported 'software update' makes no difference, BUT there is a sort of fix if you are happy to pay for one...…..DTUK have come up with a OBD plug in which by all accounts makes a HUGE difference in response and gear changes in all drive modes.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tcu-gearbox-flash-tool/

Yet to try it myself, so only reporting what I have read. The DTUK tuning box I have is epic so I would imagine the reports are probably accurate.

some of the feedback from s4/s5 owners

Michael in the USA – Customer with 2018 Audi S5 – WhatsApp group

Installed TCU upgrade this morning. What a difference. Pulls harder in low gears, dead spots gone, shifts way smoother on harder acceleration.

————————–

Anson in the US – Customer with an Audi SQ5 3.0 TFSI 354PS

Quick feedback on our side of the pond.
On B9 SQ5 have everything DTUK, from tuning box , pedalbox, and now TCU tune.
Though only have about 30-40 miles into it. It mainly wifey’s ride.
Things I notices..
Gears run smoothly on normal city drive.
Gears change quicker. But that still all depend on the driving condition. Little throttle will still have slow shift, but quicker than stock
Definitely feel the there is more Torque. Especially at lower RPM.
When gears changes. The delay is gone. And power comes instantly.

Did not have a chance to drive it like a Maniac yet.

Once I get more miles on it, I will report again.

——————————–

David in the UK – Customer with 2018 Audi S3 2.0 TFSI 310PS S-tronic

Yeah have to agree. Pulls harder, gear changes better, Launches are ******* quick! jolts my head right back and just trying to work out of the box and Bluetooth will give me a time! .

Just got home and it does really complement the box. Did a good handful of launches and it’s really quick, scary quick. Feels like the box has grown in power! Feels like there is Much more torque. Manual for me is most impressive, sadly i just kept running out of road! The car just kept pulling and pulling the only thing I would say A few gear changes were still laggey going from 1-2-3 but mainly from a standing start. Once rolling didn’t have any issues

“4th is now like another 3rd”

———————————

Adrian in the UK – Customer with a 2018 B9 S4 3.0 TFSI 354PS S-tronic

Flashed yesterday afternoon – did over 300 trouble free, fun and enjoyable miles today – with some very smooth and quick gear changes, noticeably less lag and generally a gearbox behaving and feeling like it really should do. No downsides noticed – and on a good (efficiency and ACC) 70mph run on the M4 was seeing 40+MPG. Thanks!

—————————-

Francis in Canada, another customer with a 2017 Audi S5 3.0 TFSI 354PS S-tronic

OMG !!! Guys if tou have a dtuk modul for the motor you need the flash for the gearbox !!! It’s fantastic.. Best $$$ spend on my car

———————-

Tim in the UK with an Audi S5 3.0 TFSI 354PS

Ok Gents I just went for a brisk 20 mile drive on some fast A roads. I’ll reserve writing a full review until I’ve done a few hundred miles but I will say of the 5000 miles I’ve put on my car from new I think the last 20 I just did were the most enjoyable. I test drove a new Panamera 4S recently which ironically basically has the same 2.9L V6 engine in as the B9 S4/5 and my gearbox now feels and behaves like it did in the Porsche. Manual is now completely sublime, you can feel the extra torque in all driving modes and the changes are smoother both at low speed and when pressing on. I’ll report back again when I’ve done some more mileage but initial impressions are if you’re sitting on the fence about this don’t, just do it.

Did a 30 mile drive this morning to work and the TCU has completely transformed my S5. I am so happy with my car now. The gear changes are smooth, fast & you can feel the extra torque but most importantly it now feels like there is a direct connection between the throttle and gearbox. Thanks Andrew you ******* legend

————————–

Alan in the UK – Audi B9 S4 3.0 TFSI 354PS

Some initial perceptions from my drive into work this morning. I’m driving an 67 plate Audi S4 avant with the tuning box (2+2) and pedal box on sport+1. Drive to work is about 10 miles, 8 of which is motorway driving. Gear changes driving out of town are perceptively much smoother and quicker when in town and driving normally in Comfort mode. On the motorway, not much to tell, but I did an overtake of a lorry whilst driving at 60. Foot down, pulled out and the drop down in gears from 8th to 4th was much much better, and without the 0.5 lag from before the TCU flash.

I’ll post another report after my drive home from work, where I intend to “drive it like my gran stole it”

—————————–

Dan in UK – S4 B9 S4 3.0 TFSI 354PS S-tronic

I thought that since I’d been running the gearbox tune from DTUK on my S4 for a while now I’d give some feedback so others can decide if it’s a good option for them.

Basically it feels like it’s tightened up the gear shifts. Downshifts are significantly faster and therefore smoother and I’ve found that it’s much smoother when travelling slowly and in traffic. I’ve also noticed with the ‘butt dyno’ that the pull in gear is stronger, potentially being down to the torque limiters being raised slightly to let more of the available power through.

Thankfully, the most annoying aspect of the gearbox has also been addressed by the tune. The initial lag is better, but the transition from braking to accelerating (like when approaching a roundabout or junction) is night and day. My car used to pogo if you tried to get on the power immediately after being on the brakes but this doesn’t happen anymore thankfully.

I can’t comment on the outright speed of the upshifts being faster as advertised because I’ve not had the chance to do a full launch control (that’s the only time I noticed the shifts felt sluggish), but I’d imagine that much of the smoothing at low speeds is down to the shift speed being increased.

For installation it took all of 6 minutes and that included the 5 minutes for allowing idling of the engine afterwards.

All in, I’d definitely recommend it if you have the spare cash and it can be supplied for most makes of cars rather than just Audi. It also works with S-tronic and has similar positive effect by all accounts!

If you decide to buy, feel free to mention you read this review and it might get you some money off. ;)

If you have any questions about my experience of it, just ask!

———————-

So handed car in today to be told loan car will not be provided as audi have changed the way they issue them (basically i did not break down so dont qualify)

To say I was furious is an understatement, argued my point and got told they will see what can be done and got a lift to the station

Still didnt receive update on loan car so called them at 4pm (the loan car department for audi) and told them my story

They now have a rs5 loan car on its way to me shorrtly before 8pm

Will be an interesing comparison to the s5 and a pretty impressive loan car to say the least.

They sent a 64 plate rs5 which isnthe 4.2 v8 so no comparison but a beast non the less

Thats a bit old for an Audi loan car isn't it?

They used an external provider as i needed the car today

Strange yes and a bit thrown back as loses the finesse of new car etc

I remember a couple of years ago when a BMW drove into the side of the A7 I had back then I let Audi Ensurance handle the claim for me and they arranged a comparable loan car, I had to sign a letter saying it was needed for the status of my job etc and they used a 3rd party. The A7 was just over a year old and initially I was put in a 3 yr old A6, a very basic one at that. After about a month I complained and they came and swapped it for an A8 which was less than a year old.

I saw the bill the insurance company got landed with too, they certainly know how to make their money!

Overall i am not pleased with audi as this is the second time they have let me down

Just hope the s5 comes back soon and sorted from the issues?

@ABYSS Whats the price for the TCU Tune box for a 2017 S5?

£479 rrp, £449 online, but at present I have a couple left at £399 inc uk shipping
I think I might let you twist my arm at that, although what's the most beneficial, the box or the TCU? I have to say I don't find the car slow to say the least....

I think I might let you twist my arm at that, although what's the most beneficial, the box or the TCU? I have to say I don't find the car slow to say the least....

I have a couple of customers whom have added TCus to standard cars and have been over the moon, they’ve both come back and added the tuning box :)

Feel
Free to drop me a DM

No problem guys, mine is full of complaints lol

I too would be looking at these mods however just counting the days to return car at end of lease and move on tbh

@zseth Any update on your issues? I love my S5 and just ordered the TCU+ and Tuning Box