S5 "Black edition" grille

Jonnie

Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death in various threads but I'm interested to know what people have personally done.

I'm wanting to black out everything on my car, having come from a Black Edition A3 looking at all of the chrome on my S5 is grating on me. So far I've come across the following options:

Buy a genuine "Dark Chrome matte/dark chrome high gloss" grille from Audi for £712.00 + fitting.

Buy a "genuine" black grille from eBay for £450 + fitting.

Buy an unbranded black grille on eBay for £225 + fitting.

Or get it wrapped, but of the 5 or so companies I've spoken to all of them say they cant wrap the internal slats.

So, those that have gone for the black grille, what have you done? Is the genuine grille from Audi worth £500 more than the eBay one? Is there a company out there that can wrap the internal slats?

Are you wanting to keep the S5 style grill?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jonnie
Yeah same style, not wanting to go for the honeycomb one.

Reactions: Adam14
Can't help too much there unfortunately mate. Painted grill would last longer than a wrap, that's one thing to consider. It would also appear more seamless.

Personally I'd go for the eBay one as worst case you'd be covered by PayPal protection, just check reviews and that first.

The other thing that could be done (haven't looked into it) is remove your current grill and get it sprayed gloss black yourself, not sure if it's doable but could be worth a look. Might be your cheapest route

Can't help too much there unfortunately mate. Painted grill would last longer than a wrap, that's one thing to consider. It would also appear more seamless.

Personally I'd go for the eBay one as worst case you'd be covered by PayPal protection, just check reviews and that first.

The other thing that could be done (haven't looked into it) is remove your current grill and get it sprayed gloss black yourself, not sure if it's doable but could be worth a look. Might be your cheapest route

I don't mind paying the ~£700 for the genuine Audi one if the cheap ones are going to look crap, but if I can save £500 with the eBay knock off then bonus.

I did consider spraying my current one but I wanted it to be reversible should I change my mind in a few years.

Might just go for the eBay one then and if it's absolute rubbish get the genuine one

I don't mind paying the ~£700 for the genuine Audi one if the cheap ones are going to look ****, but if I can save £500 with the eBay knock off then bonus.

I did consider spraying my current one but I wanted it to be reversible should I change my mind in a few years.

Might just go for the eBay one then and if it's absolute rubbish get the genuine one
Could plastidip it maybe?

Could plastidip it maybe?

I think it’s probably out of my capabilities to do that, seems like a lot of effort to get it perfect

I think it’s probably out of my capabilities to do that, seems like a lot of effort to get it perfect
I meant get a company to do it, plenty about I'm sure. Just an idea as would be easier than wrapping and reversible.

Just out of interest what are you doing with the rest of your chrome trim, are you going down the wrapping route?

Just out of interest what are you doing with the rest of your chrome trim, are you going down the wrapping route?

Windows, lower bumper, door handles, rear bumper trim and diffuser I’m having wrapped black. Mirrors I’m going to order some carbon ones

Reactions: Bells
Windows, lower bumper, door handles, rear bumper trim and diffuser I’m having wrapped black. Mirrors I’m going to order some carbon ones
I'm surprised you're not keeping the car with yours being black, know it's all personal preference at end of day because I'm getting the same done (apart from handles).

I've bought a non-OEM RS grill and honestly the feel of the plastic and look I couldn't tell the difference frankly. I'd have thought this would be the same with the black grills online.

I'm surprised you're not keeping the car with yours being black, know it's all personal preference at end of day because I'm getting the same done (apart from handles).

I've bought a non-OEM RS grill and honestly the feel of the plastic and look I couldn't tell the difference frankly. I'd have thought this would be the same with the black grills online.

I’m mildly torn. I think coming from a black edition seeing the chrome everywhere on this car makes it stand out 10x more to me than it would otherwise.

Partially why I want it to be reversible incase I change my mind down the line.

Have you fitted your RS Grill yet? Quite a few one the ones listed on eBay say they don’t need any cutting etc and they’re just bolt on and a straight swap which I’d prefer. I’m tempted to get one already :tearsofjoy:

Have you fitted your RS Grill yet? Quite a few one the ones listed on eBay say they don’t need any cutting etc and they’re just bolt on and a straight swap which I’d prefer. I’m tempted to get one already :tearsofjoy:
It arrived today It's being fitted on the 13th July, didn't get mine off eBay however! I think all (including mine) need the crash bar to be slightly cut back, but no issues with that. Straight swap over.

Sounds good, I didn’t think I’d like the chrome coming from a black edition but I must admit on Daytona it’s growing on me. Although I noticed quite a big scratch of my window trim the other day though so that’s tempting me into having it wrapped gloss black and see how that feels before doing the rest.

Sounds good, I didn’t think I’d like the chrome coming from a black edition but I must admit on Daytona it’s growing on me. Although I noticed quite a big scratch of my window trim the other day though so that’s tempting me into having it wrapped gloss black and see how that feels before doing the rest.

Yeah I’ve debated leaving some bits chrome, I found theses pics of cars in various levels of dechroming,

(In order) Either total black out, blacking out all but the badges and the side trim, same as previous but leaving the mirrors, just doing the grille, and then my car as it is now.

664C1A5D 372B 4C72 AA33 DB2EA05AF29B
CCE590EE DBC4 4182 97B9 16F41BBC107B
B242AD09 FF65 4115 987C AFD9D3BAA26D
48678995 0588 4187 8A5A 5979661CD972
1720BA39 6213 45EC A954 AC8E6CEC5FB0

I’m not a fan of the black badges so will probably go for the 4th highest of the “5 levels” of dechroming.

It arrived today It's being fitted on the 13th July, didn't get mine off eBay however! I think all (including mine) need the crash bar to be slightly cut back, but no issues with that. Straight swap over.

Ah nice, you’ll have to let me know how it goes I might follow suit if it isn’t a big job, I take it cutting the crash bar back isn’t a huge job then?

Ah nice, you’ll have to let me know how it goes I might follow suit if it isn’t a big job, I take it cutting the crash bar back isn’t a huge job then?
I guess not as the chap has done it before and quoted me 2 hours for the work including the removal of the rear chrome rings to gloss black

First part of the dechroming done. All chrome wrapped in gloss black with the diffuser wrapped in satin black. Also ended up ordering the genuine black edition grille from Audi so that’s being fitted next week. Carbon mirrors had been fitted previously.

Car is a little dirty but this is it at the moment.

5F79B85F D095 40F3 A9AC 7346DF3345F9
487EE354 8E84 4E4F BC66 E768BE70C64C
63C71F45 256E 4E96 8779 5F7BD4CC6D80

First part of the dechroming done. All chrome wrapped in gloss black with the diffuser wrapped in satin black. Also ended up ordering the genuine black edition grille from Audi so that’s being fitted next week. Carbon mirrors had been fitted previously.

Car is a little dirty but this is it at the moment.

View attachment 191748 View attachment 191749 View attachment 191750
Diffuser looks great! I was told the wrap wouldn't stick to it. So currently looking at the Maxton diffuser instead!

Wrap job looks good on the whole!

Diffuser looks great! I was told the wrap wouldn't stick to it. So currently looking at the Maxton diffuser instead!

Wrap job looks good on the whole!

They've done a really good job of it, I was expecting the odd bubble or rough edge but it's spot on all over. Intrigued to see how it holds up over time.

The Maxton diffuser looks really nice! I was trying to keep the car as standard looking as possible. Do post pics up if you get one

Reactions: Adam14
I got my bumpers, window trim wrapped 2.5 years ago and mines all good still :)

I got my bumpers, window trim wrapped 2.5 years ago and mines all good still :)
That’s reassuring to know, I did wonder how it’d last.

The new grille finally arrived, just need to wait for it to be fitted now
DF87E008 F14B 479C 9267 E0EB3E7EF215

Reactions: bmullan
Last piece of the puzzle is finally complete, grille fitted. Just resisting the urge to buy some rotors now to complete the full Black Edition look.

1BE5A2CC 42AD 4937 9531 DB70329C7F06

Reactions: Nfn3174 and scobie140
Your wheels are much better than the rotors ;)

Looking good jonnie, how did you fit the parking sensors in the end?

Cheers! I removed the mounts from the old grille and spray painted them black. Then just did two cuts in the slay to allow it to flex enough for the mounts to clip in.

4EED3F6B 1447 43CD 8930 D8A268ADF151

Nice work, did the black ones you bought not fit then?

Unfortunately they turned out to be the ones for the A5 black edition which are a different shape. There were 3 other potentials but at £25 a set I didn’t really want to risk it when spray paint is £5 a can.

So if anyone reading this is fitting parking sensors to their A5 Black Edition you’re welcome to have them.

Reactions: crazylegscrane
I don't mind paying the ~£700 for the genuine Audi one if the cheap ones are going to look ****, but if I can save £500 with the eBay knock off then bonus.

I have changed my Audi A5’s grill for a honeycomb grill I bought online and I’m willing to sell my original one if you like, then you could get it painted and would be a lot cheaper than going for an original one from Audi. Mine is still in great condition, if you’re interested let me know and I can take some pictures for you. Kind regards, James.

I have changed my Audi A5’s grill for a honeycomb grill I bought online and I’m willing to sell my original one if you like, then you could get it painted and would be a lot cheaper than going for an original one from Audi. Mine is still in great condition, if you’re interested let me know and I can take some pictures for you. Kind regards, James.

Cheers for the offer but I’ve already replaced my grill with a genuine Audi one. I also think the A5 and S5 grille differ from each other.

D3F4DFCE E467 427B A976 7C552B3C17A3

Reactions: James5semaJ
By the way I suppose you got your chrome parts wrapped, can you tell me how much that cost you.

Yeah sure, it was £480+VAT for the door handles, the lower chrome bar on the front that extends into where the fog lights would be, the window trims, rear diffuser, and the silver bar across the back.

That's quite steep!

I had the whole car wrapped, window trims, diffusers wrapped, S Line Grill for £1200

That's quite steep!

I had the whole car wrapped, window trims, diffusers wrapped, S Line Grill for £1200

£1,200 for a whole car wrap is absurdly cheap. Most places around here would charge more than that for a Mini.

Quotes I had ranged from £280 to £1,500. It took them 2 days and they’ve done an incredible job.

Last piece of the puzzle is finally complete, grille fitted. Just resisting the urge to buy some rotors now to complete the full Black Edition look.

View attachment 192963
Hello, can you share the link , part number or website where you got the grill from please? Is it OEM? I’m after doing similar. Thanks.

Hello, can you share the link , part number or website where you got the grill from please? Is it OEM? I’m after doing similar. Thanks.

Yeah it’s a genuine Audi part, I believe it’s from the European black edition S5s.

I bought mine from an Audi dealer on EBay, the part number is 8W6.853.651.AP. I think I paid £450 in the end, my local dealer wanted £712+VAT for it.

Reactions: Nfn3174
Yeah it’s a genuine Audi part, I believe it’s from the European black edition S5s.

I bought mine from an Audi dealer on EBay, the part number is 8W6.853.651.AP. I think I paid £450 in the end, my local dealer wanted £712+VAT for it.
Thank you