S5 brakes

DaveTM

Reaction score
is everyone pleased with the brakes on their S5 ?
You seem to have to stamp hard to stop if going quick?
Have golf before and seemed to have sharper brakes

mine are pretty sharp tbh, reversing with the auto i find there is either go or stop.. no inbetween to slow it down haha reversing can look a little stop starty which is annoying when trying to get within an inch of the wall behind without shooting into it/complete halting :)
b8.5 s5 (16 plate)

prob worth mentioning the whole car has only 17k on the clock so they arent very old tbf
You feel yours arent as good as they should be? pretty sure the s5 is heavier than the golf so i might expect it to take a little longer to brake from a greater speed like 80 compared to the golf.. in my eyes that is!

No, not pleased with the brakes on the S5 - going to try some red stuff pads soon as the brakes dont really give me confidence. Had the pads checked for wear and theres 30% ish left so due a change soon.

EDIT: The S3 brakes were far better, granted a different car but still - they at least had some strong stopping power!

No, not pleased with the brakes on the S5 - going to try some red stuff pads soon as the brakes dont really give me confidence. Had the pads checked for wear and theres 30% ish left so due a change soon.

EDIT: The S3 brakes were far better, granted a different car but still - they at least had some strong stopping power!

I've just fitted EBC Red Stuff pads & EBC Disc's all round, they do make a difference. Will be looking at getting Q5 4 pot Brembo calipers in the near future, S5 should have these from factory, Q5's are a straight swap, but be careful if looking at doing this mod there are two different sizes of calipers.

JG

Reactions: Hellz
Mines only done 14000 so not much
Yes I know it’s heavier than a golf but faster too so brakes should cope
They do stop it but more effort involved
Golf brakes were on like a flash

Might look at changing pads
Never been a fan of EBC pads but that’s from bikes not cars

Reactions: Meemo
on the market for new brakes for my 2011 S5 sportback. Currently have standard discs, and put the basic brembo pads on from GSF. first couple of hard stops at 100mph+ speeds has warped the discs, vibrates when braking hard at anything above about 70 now... (so no, not happy with them lol)

any recommendations on disc/pad combos? is it worth upgrading callipers too? (maybe SQ5?)

cheers.

on the market for new brakes for my 2011 S5 sportback. Currently have standard discs, and put the basic brembo pads on from GSF. first couple of hard stops at 100mph+ speeds has warped the discs, vibrates when braking hard at anything above about 70 now... (so no, not happy with them lol)

any recommendations on disc/pad combos? is it worth upgrading callipers too? (maybe SQ5?)

cheers.

EBC Redstuff pads & EBC Disc's is a good combo.

JG

Have you done a brake fluid flush? It made a noticeable difference to brake response on my B8.5 S5, which has done 39k and has OEM pads at around 50% wear.