s5 purchase advice

s5noob

Reaction score
Hi All
i am new to S5 and Audis in general , i am a BMW guy but now getting bored with the interior and shape and want something new
i am about to purchase this car and had a few questions
https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/i/d|GBR005571333833/controller.htm#/i/s/l
main one is, has the front been modified or was this an optional extra at Audi
the grill and chrome seems different to most 2018 S5
im concerned that Audi are selling a car with modified parts as i was told all their used cars will only be manufacturer sec and standard.

i will have to tell my insurance company , also has the previous owner changed something else
was it accident and replaced with another cheaper grill etc etc

regards

the dealer says its standard but im concerned

21364817944.jpg

That’s not standard IMO.

he’s either blacked the original grill and badge or replaced with an aftermarket grille/badge.

Compare it to the other S5s on usedaudi that are the same age.

That’s not standard IMO.

he’s either blacked the original grill and badge or replaced with an aftermarket grille/badge.

Compare it to the other S5s on usedaudi that are the same age.
thats what i thought, there is a couple on auto trader,
im not sure if it was an Audi option in 2018

when i spoke to Audi customer services, they said Audi shouldn't be allowed to sell modified cars
what they did say is that if it is standard or fitted by Audi then they will give me a letter to confirm its standard and i can then provide that to insurance company and in future i can sell it as unmodded

does anyone know how to change it back to normal and rough costs
hopefully they haven't cut the bumpers etc

It was a pcp car, im surprised, Audi took it back like that and haven't realized

I can guarantee to you that is not standard, it’s an RS honeycomb style grill and it won’t be genuine OEM one as the proper RS5 grill isn’t able to be fitted to a S5. They are all Chinese produced copies.

For future reference, if you see any S5’s for sale with black trim it’ll have been wrapped as the black pack wasn’t ever an option on S5’s to my knowledge, so they all come with chrome as standard.

Back to the grill, I’m surprised Audi are selling it to be honest given it’s obvious :tearsofjoy: it’s a common modification and one I’ve considered doing to mine, although obviously not knowing the previous history of the car it does make you wonder what else may have been modified like a remap etc, as it’s obviously been previously owned by someone that likes or doesn’t mind modifying their cars.

Thanks guys
Audi are adamant that its standard under their 159 point check etc etc. Lol

In my experience you as the potential buyer can often know more about a car/model than they do!

I bet in the 159 point check I’m there isn’t one that says check front grill is OEM!

Reactions: Sibmets
In my experience you as the potential buyer can often know more about a car/model than they do!

I bet in the 159 point check I’m there isn’t one that says check front grill is OEM!

that is true, good think i did my homework and find the right forum

to be honest, the grill isn't and issue, its the dealer saying , "its standard mate"
my worry is what else has he modified that hasn't shown on checks

does anyone know how much it would cost to put a normal grill on it

not so much the part but the labour

does anyone know how much it would cost to put a normal grill on it

not so much the part but the labour
You’d be able to get a used grill off eBay for £150 or so, a genuine new one from Audi would be in excess of £500 I’d imagine as parts are expensive from Audi directly. Labour wise it’s about 2 hours, bumper off job to take out the grill and replace.

The dealers are having you on trying to say it’s standard, I doubt if you’ve already asked outright they’ll change their minds. For me that would be a red flag, there’s lots of S5’s out there so wouldn’t discount searching a little further afield, I’m sure given the current climate there’s a lot of dealers across the country wanting some business.

From personal experience Audis 159 point check isn’t worth the paper it’s written on, it’s basic things checking the car has oil in or the windscreen wipers work :tearsofjoy:

im concerned that Audi are selling a car with modified parts as i was told all their used cars will only be manufacturer sec and standard.
my worry is what else has he modified that hasn't shown on checks
You are worried = walk away!

not knowing the previous history of the car it does make you wonder what else may have been modified like a remap etc, as it’s obviously been previously owned by someone that likes or doesn’t mind modifying their cars.
Exactly my thoughts.

I remember when the new A5 coupe first came out, they had a Sport and an S-line next to each other. As you know the S-line has a different bumper, the sales guy came over and asked if I need help. I said that's a Sport isn't it and pointed out the different bumper, he said yeah I think so...so I said "So why has it got an S-line badge on the passenger side wing?" the drivers side was blank as it should be :D Nobody that works there had noticed!

They did my 1st service on my S3 and said they had completed all the checks required bla bla bla, I got in the car and noticed the mmi was still showing that the service was due!!! Went back in and said "Did you say ALL the checks had been done?"...Yes..."So why hasn't the mmi been updated?" :whistle2: I wouldn't trust them to check a bus timetable.

Reactions: Bells
Its got an obvious thing to show its been modified, as I've changed these for clients, the parking sensors are the original colour still for the silver grill.

Fitting aftermarkets on these is a pain tbh, the foam unit behind has to be trimmed or it simply will not allow the bumper to refit properly flush, its also grey so needs black duck tape wound round, there is front impact system built into the foam insert, so you have to be wary of this, I generally respray the sensors, the lower part needs stripping to allow fitment, it takes quite a few hours to do.

Reactions: mister.c. and Bells
Its got an obvious thing to show its been modified, as I've changed these for clients, the parking sensors are the original colour still for the silver grill.

Fitting aftermarkets on these is a pain tbh, the foam unit behind has to be trimmed or it simply will not allow the bumper to refit properly flush, its also grey so needs black duck tape wound round, there is front impact system built into the foam insert, so you have to be wary of this, I generally respray the sensors, the lower part needs stripping to allow fitment, it takes quite a few hours to do.
Slightly off topic have you ever successfully fitted these for a car that has the front 360 parking camera?

Its all down to the relevant modules fitted, there's an environment camera on the front iirc, some systems employ a laser, amongst other systems & a grill of course needs matching to those systems fitted, if there's a grill with fitting locations & cutouts for your cars systems then I can fit it, it takes time to do this install.

the dealer says its standard but im concerned

21364817944.jpg

Out of curiosity what dealer is it that’s trying to pass that off as standard?

If they’re lying about something so painfully obvious I wouldn’t trust a single thing they’ve said. Especially on a car now out of its standard warranty.

Reactions: Bells
The car’s not available anymore so either it’s sold or they’ve removed from sale and (hopefully) looking at the grill plus other bits?!