S5 sportback gearbox issues, really had it

Ronmr2

Reaction score
This has been probably discussed at length but I have had it with the hesitant transmission. My car is brand new and it is a fantastic in every way except for this. Usual issues reported by most , hesitant at junctions and other acceleration situations. It is now in my opinion dangerous. Dynamic mode seems to cure it. If I new this before i paid £50k then I would not have bought it.
Anyway it is booked into my local dealership in 3 weeks- this is the soonest they could take me.
Is everyone else living with this issue or maybe it is worse on some cars than others. I would be interested in hearing others views.
Ron

There's a software update that really improves the situation.

Have a read of the ''S5 Annoyances" thread.

I]
There's a software update that really improves the situation.

Have a read of the ''S5 Annoyances" thread.
I asked my dealer about that .. they never heard of it! this is Audi Belfast, Northern Ireland

You need to speak to a technician and ask them to check the system for it .Service Advisors are very good at saying they've never heard about things....

Reactions: SRB93
Deffo available and deffo an improvement

My car is no longer hesitant or sluggish by any means

Same here, Driverline and my local dealership have stated there is absolutely nothing out for this. It's difficult to then ask for a technician, best to take it into the dealership I suppose?

Very strange

Driver line sent audi technician to my house, he knew problem with drive sustem error and when i asked if any gearbox updates he said yes a couple of weeks ago, i alsed if he can do it straight away and he said of course

100% noticeable improvement

Very strange

Driver line sent audi technician to my house, he knew problem with drive sustem error and when i asked if any gearbox updates he said yes a couple of weeks ago, i alsed if he can do it straight away and he said of course

100% noticeable improvement

This is madness! I'll need to call them again today. What did you ask for specifically on the phone and which department did you speak to, if you don't mind me asking?

I asked about it and the tech checked the systems and said there was no update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someones lying or incompetent, either is unacceptable.

Does anyone know how to check what software version is on your car and what the latest version (with the fix) is?

Someones lying or incompetent, either is unacceptable.

Does anyone know how to check what software version is on your car and what the latest version (with the fix) is?

I've called Audi Driver line twice and my Dealership, both of which have stated that they cannot find anything in recalls or software updates. So I'm a little bewildered.

Speak to Audi Uk tech support, they may be of more use, they might be able to give you a software version number the dealer can search for, failing that ask them to call your local dealer and enlighten them about technical updates

We need to start seeing some VCDS info for the B9 S4/5 - surely some of you B9 owners have it?

Unbelievable! I just know Audi Belfast will come back and say no update etc , but I am not giving up, not happy with my car like this. For those that have replied thank you, also for those that got the update are you in the UK ?

My 2017 S5 has slight hesitation in any mode except dynamic, however I do not find it too noticeable, I may just be used to it?

Interested to see where this goes as I’m with Belfast Audi also......

Im in uk

Asked the audi tech who came if there is gearbox software update and he said yes

I called driverline as had drive train error putting car in limp mode

I went to pull out of a garage forecourt the other week and after a couple of yards, there was nothing, for at least a fews seconds (as a car was approaching rapidly) then all hell broke loose and the car shot off like s**t off a shovel! Going to be booking mine in this week too!

Very dangerous and makes you look like a ****!

Those who've had it done can you confirm the software version you are now running? Should be in the MMI somewhere

This is quite worrying. I have just started looking around at changing cars and the s4/5 was on my list to try. Hmm... certainly will watch out for this in a test drive.

Ok Everyone, I was holding off posting anything for a while until I got some legal advice. The situation is there IS a software update , my car needed it, I have the invoice detailing it and it was subsequently was done by Audi - It made absolutely no difference to the car.

Audi suggested I give my car to the sales manager who also drives an S5 to drive it and see if there is an issue – he took my car for a week, they obviously either did not believe me or wanted to blame my driving style or some other reason anyway it seemed to backfire on them. The sales manager called me and stated that my car HAD this issue and I quote “I have had 5 S5’s and this issue occurs in all of them , it is a characteristic of the car” I escalated this to Audi UK citing that the car now has a major safety issue which too me it is , the car has hesitated badly twice now at junctions which nearly caused an accident- this was the reason I actually called Audi and reported the fault in the first place. I wrote to Andrew Doyle director of customer services at Audi , the letter was passed on to a clerk in customer services who rang me and gave me the “as it’s a characteristic of the car and we can’t find a fault with it then we can’t do anything” at this stage I asked what my next course of action would be ; they told me (unbelievably) to raise it with the motor ombudsman. I have now done this and included all the details of the calls with AUDI , the software update, various reports and a downloaded copy of the telephone call of the conversation with the sales manager admitting that this was on all S5’s. I have also filed a vehicle safety data report with The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) I have let Audi UK know I have done this. I have also engaged a lawyer pending a decision by the Ombudsman. For everyone reading this – I have spent £47,000 ($59,800) on a car that not only has a drivability issue on my car anyway ,I have to knock it down into sport mode every time I want to be sure to get out of a junction safely – something I should NOT have to do - I don’t care what anyone says but the car in my opinion is not safe to drive considering I have nearly had 2 accidents in it. So looks like I am taking on Audi , we all know that I won’t win but I am not going to lie down and take it. To be told “this is a characteristic of the car and it is on every S5” is NOT ACCEPTABLE if I had of known that this car had this “characteristic” then its simple .. I WOULD NOT have bought it.

For the people who are reading this and have replied on this post that I should drive it in sport mode all the time etc etc yes I could, fuel economy means little to me but the point here is I should not have too, also for the people who state that it is not on their S5 then great - health to enjoy it, for the people reading this wondering whether to buy an S5 or not then test drive it well and make your own opinion. I am really upset and disappointed that Audi have treated me like this and have not taken this issue seriously enough.

Reactions: Simonwhite2000 and SRB93
I completely agree, the gearbox hesitation and lag on my car is a f**king disgrace verging on dangerous, you'd never think it was the same ZF gearbox if you drive a 440i BMW, why can BMW programme gearbox software but Audi can't.

Its the one major gripe I have with my S5 and the one reason I'll be going back to BMW again when the lease is up

In the same boat as you after owning my S5 for almost a year now, although when I contacted my Dealership regarding the issue with delayed feeling of the acceleration, they replied with "your car hasn't arrived in the UK yet" I almost fell over laughing with the incompetence. Replied reiterating my initial request, to which there was no reply.

I did have an anon source contact me on here stating the following

Hi,

My mate is a tech at the Audi dealer near me and he sorted my update out....

I don't want this attributed to me, but ask for the following TPI:

TPI
2050764/1

SVM
01A234

Seems it's an ECU update, rather than gearbox.

Do what you will with that if it is actually a true ECU update, as Audi seem to be denying one exists currently. After I called Audi Assist and numerous other people.

One solution is a DTUK Pedal Box, but again, we shouldn't need to.

Let's see what happens.

I think all us B9 S5 owners have this issue without exception. There is a reported software update for this issue, but it does in fact do nothing at all to cure it rather fixing some other unknown issues instead. I agree with all the points made above that this should NOT happen, but for me I just drive around town in S mode all the time, and only use D mode on long runs, so the issue does not bother or affect me, and nor does the extra fuel cost as a result. Still love the car after 18 months and would still buy another regardless, and deffo not IMO a B**** M**** Wheels at any price.

I've had mine "updated" allegedly by Audi, and it does seem better, but it still does feel a bit all over the place sometimes.

Merc or BM for my next lease im afraid

Ok Everyone, I was holding off posting anything for a while until I got some legal advice. The situation is there IS a software update , my car needed it, I have the invoice detailing it and it was subsequently was done by Audi - It made absolutely no difference to the car.

Audi suggested I give my car to the sales manager who also drives an S5 to drive it and see if there is an issue – he took my car for a week, they obviously either did not believe me or wanted to blame my driving style or some other reason anyway it seemed to backfire on them. The sales manager called me and stated that my car HAD this issue and I quote “I have had 5 S5’s and this issue occurs in all of them , it is a characteristic of the car” I escalated this to Audi UK citing that the car now has a major safety issue which too me it is , the car has hesitated badly twice now at junctions which nearly caused an accident- this was the reason I actually called Audi and reported the fault in the first place. I wrote to Andrew Doyle director of customer services at Audi , the letter was passed on to a clerk in customer services who rang me and gave me the “as it’s a characteristic of the car and we can’t find a fault with it then we can’t do anything” at this stage I asked what my next course of action would be ; they told me (unbelievably) to raise it with the motor ombudsman. I have now done this and included all the details of the calls with AUDI , the software update, various reports and a downloaded copy of the telephone call of the conversation with the sales manager admitting that this was on all S5’s. I have also filed a vehicle safety data report with The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) I have let Audi UK know I have done this. I have also engaged a lawyer pending a decision by the Ombudsman. For everyone reading this – I have spent £47,000 ($59,800) on a car that not only has a drivability issue on my car anyway ,I have to knock it down into sport mode every time I want to be sure to get out of a junction safely – something I should NOT have to do - I don’t care what anyone says but the car in my opinion is not safe to drive considering I have nearly had 2 accidents in it. So looks like I am taking on Audi , we all know that I won’t win but I am not going to lie down and take it. To be told “this is a characteristic of the car and it is on every S5” is NOT ACCEPTABLE if I had of known that this car had this “characteristic” then its simple .. I WOULD NOT have bought it.

For the people who are reading this and have replied on this post that I should drive it in sport mode all the time etc etc yes I could, fuel economy means little to me but the point here is I should not have too, also for the people who state that it is not on their S5 then great - health to enjoy it, for the people reading this wondering whether to buy an S5 or not then test drive it well and make your own opinion. I am really upset and disappointed that Audi have treated me like this and have not taken this issue seriously enough.

It's sad to read this. It may not help but just in case it is worth noting that whilst performance in D for the B8 is pretty sluggish due to the gear mapping, there is definitely no similar hesitation when pulling away at junctions. If what you describe for the B9 is true then it is very much a regression from the previous model.

I don't want this attributed to me, but ask for the following TPI:

TPI
2050764/1

SVM
01A234

Seems it's an ECU update, rather than gearbox.
Does you mate know if this update is only for B9 S5's, or includes S4's?

...and yes, the DTUK Pedal Box is the way to go, as one could die waiting for an Audi.

Last edited:
Been annoyed by the laggy gearbox since day 1
It took me 2 months to get local dealership to collect my S5 to update the gearbox software. I wrote to the service manager ahead of time and explained the problem and my wish for them to investigate and know about the software upgrade before the car went in.
They were very good and sent the 'Master Technician' to pick up the car at my house and let me show him the problem. Going swimmingly until he tried telling me it was a twin clutch gearbox and sometimes they stay in 2nd gear when coming to a halt. Had to put him right on that which dented my faith.
Anyway, after the software update the lag is exactly the same. The only change I've noticed is that sometimes it will hold on to too low a gear whilst descending a hill.
I do as others do and stick it in S at junctions but should not have to do that.
Nevertheless, with 6 months lease remaining, I'm struggling to think of a better car to replace it with.

Been annoyed by the laggy gearbox since day 1
I do as others do and stick it in S at junctions but should not have to do that.

My previous A4 (also had s-tronic) would occasionally have the lag when setting off, you'd press the accelerator a little, it would be reluctant, then push a little more, nothing, until finally it shot off like a rocket. I haven't noticed this at all on the A5 only had it a couple of months. The reason I *do* push it into "S" at tricky junctions is to prevent the stop-start coming into play at just the wrong time.

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has had any success over this "Laggy" transmission??
I am currently in the same situation as most and have basically been told to "Reject" the car by Audi UK, even though I've covered 5000 miles.
Currently I've had all the software checked and a gearbox adaption undertaken (Which I don't recommend, is now worse than ever!) and all I get from the "Master" technician is " It drives like a peach!" I tend to agree... soft and mushy!
Like most people, I really do like the car (Although I have had a few issues;) its a great smile maker when driven hard but as for a day to day vehicle I find myself using a different car as its so intolerable.

Hello, My lawyer and the UK Motor ombudsman are pursuing this with Audi for me . It doesn't seem to be moving anywhere fast (shocker). I also hate it but will not sell the car until I have resolution on this one way or the other

Reactions: Jonathan Mack
I have done a fair bit of investigation of the 'D lag' issue and there is NO software update to fix this specifically whilst maintaining the existing MPG. All you will find they do is increase the idle speed a little, much the same as S mode does. They say they 'update' the software, and yes they do with a little more idle speed and that's it. Then you will find D mode only slightly better to S mode in terms of fuel consumption so it will cost you more in fuel to have it done. Basically it is a sh**t fix to shut everybody up. Apart from that the S5 is great.

I have done a fair bit of investigation of the 'D lag' issue and there is NO software update to fix this specifically whilst maintaining the existing MPG. All you will find they do is increase the idle speed a little, much the same as S mode does. They say they 'update' the software, and yes they do with a little more idle speed and that's it. Then you will find D mode only slightly better to S mode in terms of fuel consumption so it will cost you more in fuel to have it done. Basically it is a sh**t fix to shut everybody up. Apart from that the S5 is great.

Yes , that is true, once I got the software update the MPG did suffer and the car was no better to drive

Hello, My lawyer and the UK Motor ombudsman are pursuing this with Audi for me . It doesn't seem to be moving anywhere fast (shocker). I also hate it but will not sell the car until I have resolution on this one way or the other
Hate to say it but don't waste your money and/or time on this. The VW group are a far to big and powerful company to take any notice of a one man crusade and a UK ombudsman, but good luck anyway.

Thanks people, there are some interesting points here.
Ironically, my fuel consumption has suffered after the "Reset" they performed and as I said, the car seems worse than before they touched it!
I'm currently awaiting a return call to decide on whether to reject the vehicle.
The way I see it (Hazardous at junctions aside) is it is sold as an automatic so doesn't fit that description on the basis of having to intervene all the time!
I'll post my outcome (Hopefully Monday) but would very much appreciate any further posted updates from others incase I keep the car!

Just another quick note whilst on this subject...……
As there is no proper fix to the D lag issue, what I tend to do when just cruising around is use D mode (which gives lower gearing anyway & saving fuel) and when approaching a busy junction flip it into S mode temporarily, and then back into D mode again. Not a great answer for an auto car, but is far more safer when you have to move off without any delay.

Thanks people, there are some interesting points here.
Ironically, my fuel consumption has suffered after the "Reset" they performed and as I said, the car seems worse than before they touched it!
I'm currently awaiting a return call to decide on whether to reject the vehicle.
The way I see it (Hazardous at junctions aside) is it is sold as an automatic so doesn't fit that description on the basis of having to intervene all the time!
I'll post my outcome (Hopefully Monday) but would very much appreciate any further posted updates from others incase I keep the car!
Some have suggested on other forums using the DTUK peddle box conversion to overcome the issue. Not tried this myself but may be worth considering?

Well... Just had a long conversation with a chap and it goes back in W/C 14th so averaging a trip back every 1000 miles!
Last chance saloon as far as I'm concerned.
What I will say is that strictly off the record, even he alluded that this is not an uncommon issue (Which of course we already know) so will contact some higher being whilst they have the car!
As for tuning boxes etc... Why should I?
I'm afraid I simply want the car I was sold, an automatic which changes gear! I don't wish to jeopardise a warranty on a car that potentially looks like it could need a new box!!