S5 Wheel Size..

Addict

Reaction score
Right, so I'm waiting to see what's happening with the RS4 and to see what is announced at Geneva next month.. but my local sales man at Birmingham Audi was raving on about the S5 Sportback to me while in there the other day... my response being that I'm not keen on it but I don't know why.

So I went home and started studying it as you do, and guess what, it's grown on me.

So much so that if I don't go RS4 I'll probably (come back to the probably bit shortly) be ordering an S5 Sportback rather than an S4.

However, after watching various YouTube vids and looking at lots of piccies, I've now worked out what was bugging me about it...

I have an S3 Saloon currently, on 19 inch wheels and looks beautifully in proportion... you can see where this is going can't you?

In my opinion the S5 (coupe and SB) are just simply too long to be running on 19s. Interestingly, if you check out the Paris motor show cars last year, both the blue coupe and the nardo grey SB are on 20 inch wheels... which is a bit naughty considering you can only order an S5 on 19s (there's no option for 20s on the configurator!).

So I sit here still pondering what to do, hoping that if theres no RS4 on the horizon in time to order one this year, that Audi add 20 inch wheels to the options on the S5.

I can't find the other vid now, but the guy doing the walk around on the blue coupe checks the wheel sizes and comments that it's weird that they are 20s as they come on 19s as standard. But you'll see on this one that they are clearly 20s and (imo) just look more proportionate to the size of the car.. (which is no doubt what Audi think too or why put them on 20s for the shows?!)

What do you guys think?

20s suit the S5 well, but having said that, I don't think my S5 with 19s looks odd.

IMG 3197
IMG 3198

Problem with 20s is they accentuate the wheel arch gap, so you end up wanting to lower it more as well...!

The slippery slope of modding a car....!

Yeah I think on the Coupe they look a bit more at ease with the shape, but not on the SB (well not to me anyway). Just think it's odd that Audi showcase the car on 20s and sell it on 19s!

Reactions: DrEskimo
Yeah I think on the Coupe they look a bit more at ease with the shape, but not on the SB (well not to me anyway). Just think it's odd that Audi showcase the car on 20s and sell it on 19s!

Yea think you have a good point there. SB is a big ol car!

Ha...well it's not unlike many companies to try and sell you something that isn't what was advertised...

Reactions: Addict
The old S5 could be had with 20" wheels. I have 20" summer wheels and 19" winter wheels. I suspect when the black edition is brought out, they will add 20" wheels to the lineup. On the old S5, the 20" wheels were a £1500 option on the "standard" S5 and £500 on the BE.

Yeah that's what I was thinking re the black version.. which would be pretty annoying if you'd already ordered the standard :/

But we'll wait and see... a little birdy tells me the RS5 will probably be out before the end of the year.. which might open up a whole different conversion! :)

Reactions: DrEskimo
Just go out and get a set of 20inch decent rims before you receive the car.
I recommend BBS, but then again I am biased.
Then you have the best of both worlds, standard spec and your spec

Reactions: Addict
Yeah that's the obvious option.. I just don't really want to have to fork out on a 2nd set of wheels! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem with 20s is they accentuate the wheel arch gap, so you end up wanting to lower it more as well...!

The slippery slope of modding a car....!

Upsizing with the right 20" size tyre usually is bigger in profile than suggested as tyre manufacturers don't keep to the width and aspect ratio sizes , bigger as the tyre company builds some comfort into the elastic band profile .

This sees the arch gap reduced but lifts the car higher off the ground requiring the further lowering .

So what was on an Eibach Pro kit then has to go to a Sportline kit to pull it off .

Yeah that's the obvious option.. I just don't really want to have to fork out on a 2nd set of wheels! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can pick up second hand OEM wheels if you scour this and other A5 sites. I picked up a perfect set of 19" gunmetal Y spokes WITH a good set of tyres on for £700. 20" are more expensive, and the sexier 20" rims are more expensive again, but... Depending on how you are paying (do you need to give the car back in full spec at the end of a period for example), you may be ablke to get your money back by selling the others on.

ive got 20" on my a5 convertible but i need to lower it now

Attachments

• 14316697_1241748992522168_99986072386240855_n.jpg
    14316697_1241748992522168_99986072386240855_n.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: CHEZ
i like my cars looking low id like air ride but just cant afford it at the moment as having another car that is my pride and joy.

So after making the decision to get an RS4, and then realising how long it's going to be before I get my mitts on one (following how the story has unfolded on the RS5), as it's going to realistically 6-9 months before they hit the streets and as my 3 years on the S3 is rapidly approaching.. I've managed to swing a deal with Audi Birmingham to put me in an brand new stock S5 Sportback in Mythos until the RS4 lands :) (and yes, it's got 19s on it) but the car looks mint and really looking forward to having it as my interim ride! :)