S6 or not to S6..?

RaymyM

Reaction score
So, quite fancy a 2015 S6. Thinking I should get something with a fair bit of power and grunt before we all need to wise up and go electric lol. Plus I've never owned a V8 :cool:

Every time I mention it to friends etc. all I hear are the horror stories and extreme running costs. £4k to do chains, £300 for an oil change, 15 mpg... to name a few.

For all you S6 owners, would you recommend one? Or are the stories true and I really would need huge pockets?

Then again, if I'm spending around £25k, what's the alternative?

Currently have an A4 B9 2.0Tfsi 252bhp, but it just sounds so tame :blush:

Ta.

I've been looking for an S6 Avant for about 6 months now and nothing in the right spec has came up and the prices are going up currently.
I too would be interested to hear the possible running/repair costs of the 4litre v8 lump

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

I've been looking for an S6 Avant for about 6 months now and nothing in the right spec has came up and the prices are going up currently.
I too would be interested to hear the possible running/repair costs of the 4litre v8 lump

To be honest, saloon or Avant would do me, whichever comes first in the right spec as you say. Running costs are high I'm sure, but I've a TT Mk1 at home too. If ever there was a car that was a money pit lol. Love it though

Another question, do all A6 BiTdi's have the sound actuator? Judging by how rare a good S6 is to buy, that's my Plan B.

Last edited:
Yes they do mate. Add a kufetec module and they sound pretty good tbh

Drive a bitdi as well and you will love the immense torque it has. Get it remapped and you'll never be disappointed. Awesome engine

Just read up on the competition model. Very nice. Would certainly do the job either way.

How are you going to look after it?

Anything with an "S" or "RS" will incur a premium on servicing.

You also need to remember that a S6 weights about 300kg more that your A4 quattro. It is a lot more to sling down a country road. Arguably it is a more of a motorway crusher than a sports saloon.

I have a BiTDi on soft SE suspension and it a perfect motorway cruiser. Following the Cairngorms tourist route recently, I chose to drive the car like a manual using the paddles and found it quite engaging. It definitely reacts well to a slow in/fast out approach.

As much as I'd love an S6, the more I'm reading up on the A6 BiTurbo, particularly the Avant Competition, the more it ticks the right boxes for me. All that torque, boot space and plenty of power, the sound actuator for that deeper exhaust sound, I need a drive in one

Interesting conversation with the BiTdi coming in, really depends on what you’re after, isn’t the latest S6 the equivalent to the current BiTdi as a diesel?

As much as I'd love an S6, the more I'm reading up on the A6 BiTurbo, particularly the Avant Competition, the more it ticks the right boxes for me. All that torque, boot space and plenty of power, the sound actuator for that deeper exhaust sound, I need a drive in one
I was getting 45 mpg in the BiTDi cruising round Scotland, but the roads were pretty empty and I had my better half as a passenger!

I probably got nearer to 36-37 mpg when driven less gently on a A and B roads! Obviously accelerating 2 tons of vehicle (when laden with people and luggage) up and down such roads takes its toll on fuel consumption. A pre-paid Audi 2-year service plan is also quite reasonable.

I think finding a good facelift bitdi will be as challenging as the s6, I’ve never seen a competition for sale in the UK.

Yeah, finding an A6 Avant BiTdi seems to be difficult enough with the right spec. I can forget about the Competition model :blink:

Hands up if you're selling a 2015+ A6 Avant BiTdi? :whistle2:

I have the RS6 C7 performance on a 2016 plate & to be fair other than a service last year £327.00(due again in September) x2 M.O.T nothing required it's been fairly cost free. Insurance just done at £556.00 fully comp. Tyres will need to be changed in a couple of months & Michelin pilot sport 4 are £287.00 each at the moment. Fuel can be a bit heavy when you start playing but what do you expect & mine has only ever run on 99ron since iv'e had it since January 2020. If you stick to the speed limits on motorway & A&B roads there really good considering the power. The cylinder deactivation really does help with fuel consumption. The other weekend to wales & back for me & the wife was 556.00 miles,when i got back it had averaged 32.9 to the gallon on the MMI computer!!!!!!. This was just about staying on the legal limit all the time as most of the journey down was on the motorway littered with average speed cameras & most of the A&B roads we used while down there were the the same & littered with Yellow cameras so i took it steady.

Reactions: toooldforboyracing
That's surprisingly really good for as RS6.

Is it just me or have S6/RS6 Avant's suddenly become quite rare? When I say rare, I mean on my budget of £25-27k lol. I live in NI so there's even less to choose from, but like many of my last cars including the wife's, I've had to fly over and get something and get it home on the ferry :friendly wink:

Reactions: RS3 S.
My budget is around the same and I let a 2016 S6 slip through my fingers around 3 months ago and I still kick myself. Was up from 28 at a Mercedes dealer then they reduced down to 26500 but it was 300 miles from me and at the time they wouldn't let me test drive it anyway so was waiting then they sold to another dealer who listed it for 30k. It sold a week later

Nothing has came up since with anywhere near the spec I'm looking for within my budget. Prices are ridiculous

Reactions: RS3 S.
So giving myself the option for a BiTdi, S6 or RS6 Avant should be much easier..... if only :crying:

I'm not dropping to a 272 V6, I'd sooner look at an E43 lol. Large fast estate car, how hard can it be to find one :friendly wink:

Having had an A7 BiTdi and recently changed to an A6 BiTdi (needing roof rails / extra boot space) I’d happily say it’s an incredible engine. Finding a good one is tough and time consuming - took me nearly 2 months to find mine (‘66 plate). They either seem to have no extra spec options at all or everything under the sun including the dreaded pan roof which is no good for me as I’m 6’6” and the amount of headroom you loose is shocking! Find a good one though and you’ll be very happy with it. …also cheaper to insure than an S6.

I’ve recently changed from an A6 BiTDI to an RS6. I’d definitely have another BiTDI. Does everything well but as some have already said, not many good spec ones around. RS6 is a monster and I love it though, can be tame and surprisingly economical, and can be a complete hooligan. BiTDI is a great car though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess question for Mike, but Yes & Yes from my side.

- it's an Avant
- it's got air suspension as standard
- it's got the sound actuator as all BiTdi's

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Does the air suspension drop reasonably low? To avoid it sitting high up and handling like a boat with BiTdi power?

Does the air suspension drop reasonably low? To avoid it sitting high up and handling like a boat with BiTdi power?
I'm sure it's the other way around regarding handling as it is constantly controlled by the system to match the driving mode, certainly should be more advanced than standard suspension setup.

As for height, there are different levels, I'm sure most you'll see on AT are set to the lowest setting, so can be a good guide.

As I understand lowering further is also a simple procedure involving different drop links and / or lowering module...

Yes. They also look really good if you get the colour coded / sprayed bumper option rather than the plastic ones - looks like it has really wide arches. Particularly nice looking with a set of 20” rims. …if that’s your thing obviously!

Yes. They also look really good if you get the colour coded / sprayed bumper option rather than the plastic ones - looks like it has really wide arches. Particularly nice looking with a set of 20” rims. …if that’s your thing obviously!
Does the A6 even come with plastic (uncolourcoded) bumpers ?

Most Allroad's do, it looks like untreated plastic but it's actually painted/coated that way.

The latest of the same model get colour coding, I'm not sure if it's an option or like a second facelift feature.
ffac1e2a9ec4398fe8e79729e3ab9801.jpg

The allroad? …yes
Most Allroad's do, it looks like untreated plastic but it's actually painted/coated that way.

The latest of the same model get colour coding, I'm not sure if it's an option or like a second facelift feature.
ffac1e2a9ec4398fe8e79729e3ab9801.jpg

It’s a factory option - full colour coded paint finish and makes it look like a totally different car, especially on silver or white one.