S8 Steering Problems

STUART HODGSON

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and have joined to ask a question. I bought a 2016 S8 from Audi last August but started noticing a weird noise from the front end. When turning slowly it seems the wheel is losing traction and jumping across the surface of the road. It has gone back for investigations and the response from Audi is that this is a "normal characteristic" of the quattro system on the S8 and R8 models. Seems very strange to me. Has anyone else with a 2016 onward S8 or R8 got the same problems ?

'Crabbing' can be a characteristic of some 4WD vehicles at low speed. I know Mercedes had a lot of complaints with some of their models when their 4WD systems were released (GLC etc). I haven't really noticed it in my D3 but could well be normal at low speed and turning.

I have what sounds to be the exact issue you are having. 2013 S8 with just over 10k miles. Mine is much more noticeable when in reverse. I have not been to dealership for this issue, but have had car on lift several times looking for source of noise. I've had 7 AWD audis and this is the only one that I have ever had this issue.

I have what sounds to be the exact issue you are having. 2013 S8 with just over 10k miles. Mine is much more noticeable when in reverse. I have not been to dealership for this issue, but have had car on lift several times looking for source of noise. I've had 7 AWD audis and this is the only one that I have ever had this issue.

Do you have winter tyres on?

My 2016 S8 Plus does this, at low speeds and more often in the colder weather. I've noticed it much more in the past few days where i have had as low as -5c.

I believe it to be completely normal and the tyres will also have an impact on this.

Just to update on this. My front tyres were right on the limit and after replacing them 2 weeks ago, i have not had this wheel skipping sound/feel. Same tyres as before.