Sad Farewell

Spook

Reaction score
I have sadly had to put my S3 up for sale :sorry:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/340498.htm

I'm not sure whether I have pitched the price right though. Any constructive advice on this would be welcome, as I would like to find it a new home as soon as possible..... I can't bear long goodbyes .... :bye:

Stunning seats, not sure on the price and how they compare to dealers. The only thing I would suggest would be more pictures.

Good luck with the sale

Good luck Spook.

As Steve said, more pictures and see how comparable your price if you want a quick sale.

Nice car.... I can imagine how gutted you are...

Sell the house and keep the car!!! :jester:

I think you've pitched the price dead on. £30k represents a massive psychological barrier. How many times have you been in a shop and seen something priced at £29.95 and how many times £30.05?

Yeah me too, i'm confused tho as you say in the spec it has satnav+ yet yours looks nothing like mine i have a much bigger screen in the console :detective2:

TBH I think you have priced it too high. Have a look at Audis approved used cars and you bang on what you would pay from a dealer. We part exed our car last week and found out the hard way that all the extras you pay for and spec make no difference to the second hand value of the car. Apart from Bose and metallic paint on the A3. I dont think anyone will pay the same privately as main dealers are charging.

Good luck anyway though.

Why is everyone selling there S3's =(

I just don't get it...

Twizzler said:
All buying a Tata Nano?
mmmmmmm......Tata Nano...........:hubbahubba:

Seriously, the reason I'm selling is that I need a cheaper car for a few months due to a business venture.

I'm still not sure that I've got the price right...... goes without saying that I'm happy to negotiate with anyone on the forum who wants to give a good home to a fully-specced, nearly-new S3 at a price considerably below what a dealer would ask for a car of this spec.

Anyone who is interested please feel free to PM me and we can sort something out!

Price is one thing, but to someone wanting that spec and beat the waiting list you might get it. Have you tried contacting specialest dealers that advertise in top marques ? you might be able to sell it direct to a trader, you might not get as much for it but the risks will be lower.

Its a tad dear.

There is a dolphin grey one in my dealers with the seats /dvd NAV (proper screen)/arm rest wipers & lights/ flappy mirrors/ipod for £300 more. Considering the DVD nav (big screen) is a £2500 extra, i would say you need to look at the price. Why not get an estimate on it from a dealership?

SteveTDCi said:
Price is one thing, but to someone wanting that spec and beat the waiting list you might get it. Have you tried contacting specialest dealers that advertise in top marques ? you might be able to sell it direct to a trader, you might not get as much for it but the risks will be lower.

True , i think the price is about right , but the problem you have is at this price point and for the this brand, people will rather go to the dealers , there is more come backs for them , and fianace can be had also!

Also anybody could turn up, with the intention to TAX you!

I would look into getting a decent dealer, Audi or other to sell the car for you at the price you want ,then give them a commission?

Safer for you safer for the buyer!

Good luck with the sale mate.

p

phantom said:
True , i think the price is about right , but the problem you have is at this price point and for the this brand, people will rather go to the dealers , there is more come backs for them

Yes, but by buying my car privately you still have the protection of the manufacturer's 3-year warranty, you have the advantage of not having to deal with a grasping dealer who will fleece you, and I've already taken a large part of the initial depreciation hit ! :asskicking:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/340498.htm

Sounds to me like a good deal for the right buyer ......

Have a look at the used cars on the Audi website. There are loads of S3s there with 4-5k+miles for less than yours on the same age. You arent going to command top dealer money for a private sale S3 people when can buy from the dealer the same spec for the same or less money. Your car will have lost £4k when you drove it off the forcourt on the day it was new. I would guess you would be looking at a max of 28k(and i think that may be pushing it) and thats if you can find someone who will pay that on a private sale. Theres a Dec07 car on there with 150miles and thats £29980.

People tend to get a bit nervous spending large sums on private buys. Doesn't mean they're a bad thing, it's just peoples perception. I even had problem shifting mine at £16000 because people were aprehensive, despite the fact it was only 18mths old and had the balance of the warranty remaining.

Ive just bought my 07 S3 from a dealer , there was a private one for sale, slightly better spec, slightly less miles and before any discout cheaper than the one i bought!

I think at this type of money people are gonna go to the dealer, PX/fianace are available if you need them.

I think for the extra people would rather spec there own and get a brand new car!

On a slightly different note , why are there so meny used S3's around?

I hope you get the price you want for your car.

p

Looking at the spec/age/price I think you have it priced a bit high. I appreciate you have the audi warrenty back up but people dont want to spend that sort of cash on a private sale when they can go to a dealer and get a similar car for less.

J.

I'd recommend taking it to your local stealer to see how much they can offer for it. If it's not that far off (chances are it won't be close to your expectations) then go with it. It'll take sooooo much of the hassle out of a private sale. I've got a mate who sold a 55 plate S4 to his local dealer for only 1k short of what he had it up at in the autotrader.

You never know you may be pleasantly surprised by them.. :)

Nice car though mate and good luck with the sell.

-Sal-

I think a dealer would look as selling a similar car for around £29950,trouble is most dealers have their own S3 demos to sale and for a dealer to buy it they will want a quick turnaround on their money. I hate to say this but I think the dealers will look at offering you around £25/26000 they then might try for a few weeks selling at a higher price but to purchase it at £25/26000 they can drop it to £27500 and still make some money on it.
So to tempt a private buyer £25500 and expect to drop to £25000

There are already other S3 on Pistonheads for that sort of money(poss less spec)
Had same sort of situation with one of my minis
Works cooper S high spec £28,000 needed to sell it 10months old low mileage etc
Started at £21000(which I thought was cheap) private (best dealer offer no part/ex £16500 taking the p)
Over 3 months dropped price to £17500 no interest so eventually sold it to the dealer for £16500,he had it on his forecourt for two days and sold it for £19500.
As previous people have said private buyers dont seem to want to hand over that sort of money on your doorstep,after saying all of the above I purchased my second mini privately (one year old for £2500 less than the dealers were asking for the same car,as the saying goes "if the price is right etc")
The trouble is we all know what the car is really worth as opposed to what someone will pay for it
Hope the right buyer is out there for you
Good luck

sjahS3 said:
I'd recommend taking it to your local stealer to see how much they can offer for it. If it's not that far off (chances are it won't be close to your expectations) then go with it. It'll take sooooo much of the hassle out of a private sale. I've got a mate who sold a 55 plate S4 to his local dealer for only 1k short of what he had it up at in the autotrader.

You never know you may be pleasantly surprised by them.. :)

Nice car though mate and good luck with the sell.

-Sal-

My R32 was sold back to the supplying dealer after advertising it on autotrader. In the end I got £500 quid less than I was advertising it for so I think I was probably better off not selling it privately.

J.