Safety Recall 27H2 - 45TFSI Starter/Alternator

MCarda

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a less than ideal letter from Audi UK advising me that there is a safety recall on 2.0l petrol engines (in this case for my C8 45TFSI but this also affects Audi A4, A5, A7, and Q5) manufactured between May 2017 and March 2020.

To summarize there is a fire risk due to short circuit occurring from moisture entering the starter-alternator housing. Audi has recalled the cars for a full starter-alternator replacement to commence at a date TBA.

Attachments

• 2020-06-18 09.33.221.jpg
    2020-06-18 09.33.221.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 847
  • 2020-06-18 09.33.361.jpg
    2020-06-18 09.33.361.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 806
Hi Mcarda,

I've not got a letter yet but, I've read this on one of the other sites too (which had a link to the attached EU notice) looks like it's the 2.0l diesels as well - that is a lot of cars over a 3 year period ...

Attachments

• Notification_A12_00689_20_en.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 357
Hi Mcarda,

I've not got a letter yet but, I've read this on one of the other sites too (which had a link to the attached EU notice) looks like it's the 2.0l diesels as well - that is a lot of cars over a 3 year period ...

Great, it looks like we are all in it for the long run then, I am already seeing the waiting lists longer than the queues at Primark this week!

I had an existing appointment in mid August for another warranty job - I managed to get this recall added to that appointment, subject to a stock of replacement alternators on hand I guess.

Yes I assume getting the parts will be as big an issue as getting time in the dealer's garages

Ummm I've just spoken to Audi UK Customer Services and asked them if Recall Code 27H2 applies to my Jan 2020 manufactured A6 40 TDI (2.0 TDI) and they said noooooooo. Yet the EU notice states 2.0 TDI models are affected as well. Should I assume Audi UK aren't aware of this yet? Or maybe someone's doctored the EU document in PhotoShop?! lol

The wife got this letter re: her C8 45 TFSI.

We will obviously get the work don’t though frankly I’m not concerned about getting it done that quickly - I would happily wait until the backlog is cleared at the local Audi service centre.

The defect affects what must be thousands of cars over a period of three years and not a single one has gone up in smoke due to the fault, so it seems almost certain that you’re at greater risk of destroying your car in an accident than it spontaneously combusting.

The defect affects what must be thousands of cars over a period of three years and not a single one has gone up in smoke due to the fault, so it seems almost certain that you’re at greater risk of destroying your car in an accident than it spontaneously combusting.

Fair point, but let’s not forget about that 2019 A7 being tested by Audi caught on fire in the alps (Google images: audi fire).

I too got that letter and had my recall done today, along side an oil change. More luck than judgment on the timing!
Although, it doesn’t look like they’ve actually done anything! Dusty engine bay looks untouched around the alternator and the paint blobs on the bolts are still intact. So who knows?
What they did do though was spill oil all down the front of the engine and scratch the bumper on a low wall.
I’m not a happy bunny...

I too got that letter and had my recall done today, along side an oil change. More luck than judgment on the timing!
Although, it doesn’t look like they’ve actually done anything! Dusty engine bay looks untouched around the alternator and the paint blobs on the bolts are still intact. So who knows?
What they did do though was spill oil all down the front of the engine and scratch the bumper on a low wall.
I’m not a happy bunny...

Demand they show you the old alternator. I never pay up or sign until I am shown the old parts removed or can otherwise see new parts fitted. Learned that when living in the developing world a while back, not necessarily applicable in the UK but old habits never seem to die and no doubt is left lingering.

Good evening from Singapore. I had mine done 2 weeks ago.
Car spent 3 hours in the workshop to change the alternator and update the MMI software.

So today was my appointment for the recall, left the car in the morning and informed in the afternoon they didn’t have the part in stock.

Mine had the recall finally done last week and it still is the same old alternator unit in there I can see by the black copper coils. I called up and they confirmed it was done properly, so I am assuming they just replace one part of it rather than the whole unit. Unfortunately the service advisor did not know the specifics of what the job involves.

My A6 C8 (40 TDI Quattro) went in for its first service today at Highland Audi and the service agent has just called to tell me that they will be replacing the start-alternator as well under a safety recall. So it appears the 40 TDI engines are affected as well. Though strangely I never got a letter in the post.

I got a letter from Audi for the same issue, and booked an appointment for next week. Audi A4 Avant, 35 TFSI, March 2020.

Doesn't seem great the time it takes to recall affected cars, given the seriousness of the issue.

On the positive side, I'll get a free wash which is always a bonus during lockdown...