Saloon Or Avant, Which Is The Better Looking ....and I'm Biased Anyway.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really guys,
curious as to the general line of preference in the overall looks dept , is it the saloon or the avant.
For me i find the avant a much better looking car to be honest, i have one so i'm a bit biased anyway, but as i require the option that the avant offers then i that is a major part of my choice of variants.
I can't put me finger on what it is that makes the avant for me that is look so much better, it just looks right.
Dont get me wrong , the saloon is a great looking car, in all variants especially the DTM, but the saloon just looks to much like other saloon cars apart from the front grill, whereas the avant looks much more aggresive and the rear end view is just spot on for an estate car.
Given the choice between the two and if i didnt need an estate car for specific uses, i would still go with it because i just love the overall look and stance of the car...

Anway , what are your thoughts guys, it sallways going to be a personal thing , but it would be nice to get your responses .

let the flames begin......

rob

Despite me owning a saloon I say avant is better looking, more practical. so I vote for the avants

The saloon has a better front end but the avant has a better back end:uk:

Avant for me:thumbs up:

Reactions: Roots
Funny one this, I much prefer the B7 Avant and having owned both saloon and avant recently I think the avant handles better too. When I look at B8s tho I think the saloon is a much better looking car, the B8 avant does nothing for me at all. With RS4s too I much prefer the B7 avant, then the B7 saloon, B8 RS4s not so wild about.

Avant every time for me. Think it all started with Volvo estate touring cars for me!

I think the Avant is better looking on the B7 but the saloon on the B6 is better......The B7's in both styles are fine by me....

Cheers
A

Never owned an avant, however from the practicality side of things if I ever moved away from a cab I'd definitely consider it.

More important is service history, bodywork, the right engine and the right toys... these will be the test of your ownership enjoyment 90% of the time

DTM

Reactions: Roots
I bought my Avant for a number of reasons, one being that Audis are one of the best looking estate cars on the market (IMO anyway)
I also prefer them over the saloons, they look more expensive and nicely proportioned, especially the higher spec versions.
The other reasons I bought my particular model are:
Looks
Premium Badge
Speed
Handling
4WD
Practicality (for my bikes and camping, although I always get calls off friends/family to help shift stuff!)
Not a BMW
Good value

As you can see it ticks most of the boxes when looking for a car other than MPG and the fact that the engine failed on me, but hey ho !
IMG 1751
IMG 1756
IMG 1757
IMG 1761
IMG 1850

Attachments

• IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
I prefer the avant, so probably why I bought one. Much prefer the b7 over the b8 but just my opinion guys.

I cannot decide to be honest. I have had both, currently saloon. Estate cars in general look awful apart from audi. Audi estates look the muts nuts!!! I love both saloon and avant lol

Bought a saloon but wanted an avant. Next one will be an avant....preferably an rs4 but doubt that will happen.

Reactions: seandom
DSC 0295 DSC 0297
DSC 0295
DSC 0297
DSC 0295
DSC 0297
got to be the b7 avant ! i'd love a b7 rs4 avant will soon be christmas lol
since photos taken ive added wind deflectors all round not sure if i want tints what do you think ??

Reactions: seandom
All about the purpose and use of the car, good amount of practicality and room that comes with avants. Either version looks just as sporty with a couple of upgrades, have personally always had a soft spot for the look of saloons and have never needed extra space. Tempted to go for a 3 door A5/BMW if I change because I generally don't take passengers and 3 doors are hot (or maybe I'm going through a mid life crisis :sadlike: lord have mercy).

The avant looks good as far as estate car goes but I think the saloons look alot sportier and don't give out the old man persona of an estate car. However something inside me still wants an avant dropped on air over some large wheels. :rolleyes:

looking like the B7 Avants are the prefered choice , and there are some really nice example so far, keep them pic and views coming guys.

rob

I have a saloon but I prefer the avant as well, for some reason it just appeals to me. Looks like you mean business in an avant, my only problem is I'm 22 so I would just look weird in one

I felt weird in an A4 saloon at 22 haha both look like business to me although, 25 next month so just feels like anything now.

Avant all day !

If you like the look of the DTM but prefer the Avant then you could do what ive done and get a DTM bumper :)

oh, just noticed that you're they guy that said I should raise it up and preferred it when it was standard :unhappy:

14899585527_3699bdefe3_b.jpg

Reactions: JudderMan
No probs mate, like all things it's all about personal preference etc, nothing wrong with yours at all i just prefer to see a little bit more wheel.
I really like the front bumper , is it oem .
rob

well to date looks like the avants still have it guys, having been watching and reading many , many new posts etc avants do appear to prefered variant...:cool::), and yes i'm still biased.....:p:)

I actually prefer the saloon in b7 form. The b6s are a bit plain in general. But b7s having an amazing front look. And the rear is awesome too, very classy looking cars. Especially in phantom black :)

I bought my Avant for a number of reasons, one being that Audis are one of the best looking estate cars on the market (IMO anyway)
I also prefer them over the saloons, they look more expensive and nicely proportioned, especially the higher spec versions.
The other reasons I bought my particular model are:
Looks
Premium Badge
Speed
Handling
4WD
Practicality (for my bikes and camping, although I always get calls off friends/family to help shift stuff!)
Not a BMW
Good value

As you can see it ticks most of the boxes when looking for a car other than MPG and the fact that the engine failed on me, but hey ho !
View attachment 41165 View attachment 41166 View attachment 41167 View attachment 41168 View attachment 41170
hahahaha "Not a BMW" love it, made me laugh :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: