Sat Nav Systems

drummie

Reaction score
Hi There.

Does anyone know if the Audi RNS-E A4 Sat Nav / Navigation System or the VW RNS510 RNS 510 MFD3 DVD system work in the A6/RS6 variant? I'm looking at upgrading the satnav system in my car but I'm a little confused as to which models to buy. I've seen the RNS-E system in an RS6 before but I have no idea exactly which model it is.
Is it the connectors or the way the system fits in to the dash that is the issue?

Cheers

Dave.

There is an A6/RS6/S6/AllRoad specific model 4B0 035 192 P

The facia is specifically for the A6 double din fitting, although all RNS-E's are electrically the same and just have different facias and codings for specific models. All the connectors are the same on each model.

4B0 035 192 P is this the model number for A etc ?
Your post seems to suggest there is some way of modifying ?
There are a number of units for sale on eBay at the moment you see and I was wondering if they might work.
I know one fittd by Audi would be a small fortune.
Cheers
Dave.

No, my post says there is a specific model for your car.

Why would you want to modify another model when the right one exists?

4B0 = A6/RS6/S6/allroad
8P0 = A3
8E0 = A4
8H0 = A4 CAB
8J0 = TT (new shape)

They all have different facias but are electrically the same.

...because I might be able to get a close enough model much cheaper that I'd only need to change, say, the facia on, but that mustn't be the case. That was just my hope...

I had a look at your website, the link in your message. What kind of price would I be looking at for an up to date touch screen DVD based system for my car? I actally like the one I have now except the input system is annoying and I'm unclear as to whether the latest software does really do detailed street information and full postocde.
Cheers
Dave.

also, the car has a retro fitted iPod connector. It never seems to work for me. I plug in my iPod and it never comes out.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Dave.

Yes you could buy a cheap A4 unit and change the faceplate to an A6 one, but A6 faceplates are not common as they stopped making them in 2005

Audi don't make a touch screen navigation system. The input method is the same as your old one with the dial wheel.

The VW 510 won't work in your car.

Unless you tell me what Ipod connector you have fitted, what the symptoms of the problem are and any other information such as what it says on the Ipod and Nav unit when the Ipod is connected I can't really help you.

Hi There.
I'm not sure what the ipod system is. It came with the car. it has an iPod connector, a USB connector and a Phono connector. I plug in my iPod and it charges the battery, so it's working/connected, but doesn't do anything else. If i remove the CD cartridge from the changer in the boot, sometimes it'll pickup the iPod, say it's "A CD", like it'll say there is a cd in mag 1 etc and then It'll play the iPod back through the car stereo, but only every so often. Sometimes a LOGO comes up on the iPod screen, but I cannot tell what it is because I've only ever seen it do it once. It's the LOGO for the iPod system I assume.
I'd assume any good system would work if you wanted to play CD's or your iPod etc? In my last car, a MrkV Golf, with the RNS5.x DVD system in it, the one that has all the buttons around the screen, the iPod connector in that car was instead of the CD player. Someone had wired the iPod in and unwired the CD changer. Mine is not like that.
Maybe that is the only way they work properly? I dunno, but I was wondering generally, in your experience, how they are actually supposed to work? Do you retro fit systems like these to have the CD and iPod connector working, and if so, is there a magic "Button" you press to get it all working? There were no instructions with the car in the iPod connector. I have all the manual for the RNS system etc...
Cheers
Dave

Sounds to me like you have the old Dension Gateway 400, the phono device should have a switch on it. This selects CD or Ipod. But they were very tempremental about switching between them.

Sounds stupid I know but try the switch in each position, but get out of the car and lock it for a few minutes each time you try the switch. ALternatively there is a reset hole in the phono unit and jamming a paper clip in after moving the switch will set the gateway to whatever setting the switch is in without having to power cycle.

Many thanks.

Yes, that name seems familiar and it does have a switch next to the phono inputs that seems rather poor in quaility (no definite click) I didn't think it did anything as it was so poor.

I'll let you know how I get on with that.

Another question, sorry, Is the CD interface supposed to run the iPod? Do you know of a better way of finding/indexinig the tunes? I thought that putting tunes in playlists might arrange them on the screen/via the interface but all I get is it playing the same tunes whether it CD1 or CD5. Other CD numbers are basically ALL the iPod tunes listed track 1 track 2 etc.... all the way up to track 99. And some are very short lists of tunes. Up to say track 12 and then it moves to the next CD number.

Cheers for the advice.

I had a look at your prices for the systems. Need to get saving!

Cheers

Dave.

Yes the CD changer interface is where the Ipod interface lives, the Gateway 400 allows switching between CD and Ipod. The software is pretty poor in the gateway 400, you can download the manual from Dension.

Setting up the first 4 playlists should allow you to select them as CD1-4

Thanks mate.
that's really helpful.
I'll try that later. I'm waiting for the car to come home. Having new front brakes...yikes!
Dave.

All the advice you've given has been great.
I now know how to use my iPod system. It actually works uite well, as long sa I turn the unit off and on with a 5 second gap between each mode.

One last question (sorry) I used to have link for firmware updates for the NAVI PLUS RNS4.X systems but the site went ofline and I've been trying to find out if there is a later firmware for my system. I updated the dension interface via their site and I think this is why it may all be working better.
I'm wanting to but up to date sat nav maps and I want to make sure the NAVIPLAUS system is on it's latest firmware. In my old RS4, I did the same thing and it worked better with my updated software.
Many Thanks
Dave.

i have the update_RNS_D_151101 files if anyone needs them, is working as ive done mine with no probs :)

i have the update_RNS_D_151101 files if anyone needs them, is working as ive done mine with no probs :)

What does the update do (in English)?

I've never bothered find out about OEM sat nav as I've never had it until the RS6, and TBH still haven't found out much about it. But you use the mystical "update" word and I feel I MUST have it!

it has compass, think you can zoom in more on the maps, when you turn up/down volume you can see the bar, which is handy, as you can set the voice for satnav too....not quite sure what else, i think maybe its more for running the newer discs....i want a newer disc but im unsure which version it can run...seems to be that many...if anyone wants the files to burn to CD just PM me ;)