Sat Nav - Traffic

RMJ891

Reaction score
Hi there - does anyone else find that the 'live traffic' through data in the tech pack is absolutely terrible? In the mobile phone era I find it crazy that you have to take it to a dealer to update, but it always thinks there's traffic where there is none, diverts randomly into traffic and tries to take me down one-way / closed roads.

For £1,500 it really isn't good enough. I would always spec the nav / tech pack or equivalent on a car, but it does take the mick when phones / Tomtoms are so much better for a fraction of the price.

Online Traffic is awesome - has been since 2013 on my SQ5, S1 and now RS3.
Never had an issue and comparing it to the TMC data it seems much more up to date.

When it doesn't re route, if I look at the map where the road borders change green to Amber/red it's always pretty much exactly right.

I went to take my MiL to pick up her new A1 with SD nav, on the drive home mine re-routed me and I beat her by an hour. This just confirmed to me how my better/up to date the online traffic is.

Also, the online traffic data is the same data Google/TomTom uses, so not sure why you are seeing a difference.

I can only think you are only using TMC? Which is crap!

What is TMC?

I have a sim in the dash, and do the dynamic traffic avoidance... yesterday for instance it went crazy when I drove down a road that was built a year ago, and then tried to route me straight through the middle of London when Google Maps on my phone said that would take twice as long. The destination arrival time was also out by 45 minutes on a 1h30 drive, which is pretty atrocious!

Would love to be having your experience on it - but just don't seem to be at the moment!

TMC is the traffic info it gets via FM radio.
Does it say ONLINE in the bottom left of the sat nav screen, or TMC?
Yours seems to be doing odd stuff for sure! Or maybe you've left it on avoid motorways or something.

Last edited:
I'll have to check that out - yeah the radio traffic is terrible, is it just done on old people phoning in to report things being a "a bit slow-going"?!

I just find some of the route options weird, too. Mine is done so that it gives three route options, and the other day I needed to drive around the M25 and then out on one of the "spokes" off the M25 (the A41). The options either had me drive through central London and then up the A41, or around the M25 and then a really strange route not involving the A41. Again, Google Maps on my phone showed that the M25 -> A41 was clearly the quickest option.

Maybe I need Audi to perform a software update.