Satellite view no longer supported.

Jabba46

Reaction score
Spoke to my Audi Salesman this morning and he informed me that Audi are no longer subscribing to Google Maps and will therefore no longer have the satellite view. I liked that option and my car has now reverted to the traditional map view. I think it extremely cheeky of Audi to remove a feature without consent. My car had it, I “paid” for it and I want it back. Aaarrgggghhhhh!!!

Spoke to my Audi Salesman this morning and he informed me that Audi are no longer subscribing to Google Maps and will therefore no longer have the satellite view. I liked that option and my car has now reverted to the traditional map view. I think it extremely cheeky of Audi to remove a feature without consent. My car had it, I “paid” for it and I want it back. Aaarrgggghhhhh!!!

Yeah they took it off my 8V but I’ve had an 8Y and it’s got sat view, penny pinching again

iPhone 12 Pro

The mapping in the 8y is provided by another company not Google so shouldn’t be a problem.

Reactions: AdamInKent
@Jabba46 - do you have and 8Y where this stopped working?

In the 8V forum it’s well known, burst I have heard of this on the 8Y.
Hi,

I have a 8Y S3 that I’m having connection issues with and when I called the salesman yesterday he informed me that it will no longer be supported. Right now I don’t have the Google maps on my car, but that may be due to the connection issue.

This will be interesting, as Audi configurator still says:

Audi Connect Infotainment Services is the link between your Audi and the internet, giving you access to entertainment, information and search functions operated via the MMI control panel, the multi-functional steering wheel or the voice control system. With high-speed internet access in your car via an embedded SIM within your vehicle, you can call up information such as flight times, fuel prices, weather and other online services provided by third parties, as well as Points of Interest and high-resolution aerial and satellite pictures from Google Earth.™ Features also include:-
- Online search of navigation destinations
- Lane specific navigation
- Enhanced dictation of text messages and emails
- Highly detailed 3D city display
- Online and Hybrid radio
- Online traffic information plus
- Music track recognition

Just found this:

https://www.audi.com/en/experience-audi/models-and-technology/digital-services/audi-connect.html

“Discontinuation of the Audi connect "Google Earth" service and affected Audi models

The Audi connect service "Google Earth" previously enhanced the map view of the Audi navigation systems with a photo-realistic look. Due to a technical change made by the third-party provider Google, the Audi connect service "Google Earth" will no longer be available from 1 January 2021 for the Audi model series A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, Q2, Q5, Q7, TT and R8 built before the model year 2017. If the model series mentioned were built from model year 2017 onwards, it may be possible to activate the Audi connect successor service "Satellite Map" via a free software update within the warranty and/or guarantee period (licence periods and extensions of the "Google Earth" or "Satellite Map" service remain unaffected). Regardless of the model year, the Audi models A1 and Q3 of the respective first vehicle generation cannot be updated and will no longer support the Audi connect service "Google Earth" from 1 January 2021 onwards.

Audi models not affected
No action is required for all Audi models from model year 2019 onwards, because these models have been technically designed for the "Satellite Map" successor service and support it without an additional software update. The latest model generations of the Audi A1, Audi A3, Audi Q3, Audi A6, Audi A7, Audi A8 and Audi e-tron are also not affected, because these models have been supplied exclusively with the Audi connect "Satellite Map" service since the start of production.”

so going by that, is not affected, but doesn’t use Google Earth, and instead uses a different satellite overlay.

Reactions: AdamInKent