Saying goodbye to the S3

Adam14

Reaction score
So after having owned by S3 for about 15 months now, I've managed to secure a deal to sell my S3 and got a cracking deal on a virtually brand new S5 coupe (18 plate with 3000 miles), the monthly payments and huge saving on my insurance actually makes me financially better off each month (go figure).

Have to say having had the pleasure to own an S3, it is such a great car, so it is no surprise there have been plenty of forum posts in regards to trying to find a replacement, for me the S5 comes with default what I would have to spec on an S3 and with the new one being so expensive and quieter (I'm young so it being loud was always a plus for me) it wasn't really an option.

This forum has been a blessing when it comes to finding answers to questions, and a friendly bunch, So looking forward to picking up the new car on Monday :racer:

Reactions: HertS3, Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and 13 others
Good luck with the new car. Have to say the s5 are a lovely looking car

Don’t forget to come back and show us some photos.

Reactions: NevMan, loftylad and Adam14
Congratulations on your new car.

As said, post some pics up on here when you get it.

Reactions: Adam14
The S5 is cheaper than the S3 to insure...wow that's crazy.

Thanks all, will be sure to share pics as per the rules :thumbs up:

S5 is cheaper than the S3 to insure
Yes significantly so, I'm not too sure why but I'm not going to question it. About 35% cheaper.

So after having owned by S3 for about 15 months now, I've managed to secure a deal to sell my S3 and got a cracking deal on a virtually brand new S5 coupe (18 plate with 3000 miles), the monthly payments and huge saving on my insurance actually makes me financially better off each month (go figure).

Have to say having had the pleasure to own an S3, it is such a great car, so it is no surprise there have been plenty of forum posts in regards to trying to find a replacement, for me the S5 comes with default what I would have to spec on an S3 and with the new one being so expensive and quieter (I'm young so it being loud was always a plus for me) it wasn't really an option.

This forum has been a blessing when it comes to finding answers to questions, and a friendly bunch, So looking forward to picking up the new car on Monday :racer:
@Adam14 - Congrats buddy :thumbs up:
Looking foreword to the pic's

Reactions: NevMan, Snake Pliskin and Adam14

Yes significantly so, I'm not too sure why but I'm not going to question it. About 35% cheaper.
When I changed from my S3 to the A5 it went up!!! The reason they quoted was "It's not all about the power, it can be down to repair costs", I priced up a headlight out of interest and the A5's was over double that of the S3's!

What colour are you getting inside and out???

What colour are you getting inside and out???
My insurance would have gone up a lot if I just straight swapped, far cheaper to cancel and take out a new policy (with the same company). Long story made short, one I've gone for is metallic white and black interior. Had found a high spec S5 up north which was a great deal albeit high mileage of 33k miles, my local dealer ran a service history check on it and found the car hadn't had a service at 19k miles and when I asked the dealer for it he kept skirting the question so raised huge alarm bells.

Reactions: S32B
congrats @Adam14 :thumbs up:

I had a previous gen S5 and it was a superb car ... and the new one looks even better :icon thumright:

Looking forward to pics.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and Adam14

I had a previous gen S5 and it was a superb car ... and the new one looks even better :icon thumright:

Looking forward to pics.
Thanks! Was very impressed by the drive and interior. Plus with it financially making sense seemed a no brainer!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

Most insurance is based upon how many get stolen or crashed. Then repair cost etc.

With so many S3 & RS3's being one of the Tea Leaves most desired cars, that's probably why an S5 is cheaper. Less likely to get stolen or crashed.

Plus younger less experienced drivers are more likely to opt for an S3 over an S5. Overall crash rates must be lower.

Reactions: S32B and Adam14
@Adam14 congrats on the new car. Look forward to the pics. :)

Reactions: NevMan and Adam14
Nice one @Adam14 hope you enjoy the car and hopefully you won’t miss your S3 to much haha.

Spec Matrix lighting on your S3 and watch what happens to your premium.

Similar position, my S3 is going on the 20th of March following 3 years of ownership. I had tried my local Audi dealer for an S5 but he couldn't sort a deal on one, I did drive a 40TFSI black edition that was really nice but it was just too dull of a drive after the S3.

Would have be interested in a well spec'd S5, all the best with yours really nice cars.

Similar position, my S3 is going on the 20th of March following 3 years of ownership. I had tried my local Audi dealer for an S5 but he couldn't sort a deal on one, I did drive a 40TFSI black edition that was really nice but it was just too dull of a drive after the S3.

Would have be interested in a well spec'd S5, all the best with yours really nice cars.
Yeah look forward to seeing the pics of your A35 mate! Briefly considered one but not a huge fan of sportback shapes.

Yeah cracking car the S5, got a great deal and put me in a better financial position so everything stacked up, bit like yourself

Reactions: Chris4410
As promised here's a few pictures, will try and get more tomorrow. Absolutely loving the car.
c4355ec33678e1b64a69e3687fbd9232.jpg
1a3a1b8ed2cddfccda7b17be3bd4bb67.jpg

Reactions: S3tuart, Bristle Hound, Snake Pliskin and 7 others
@Adam14 car looks amazing. Now you need to change your banners under your name. Enjoy the car. :)

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Audi Bairn and springer
@Adam14 car looks amazing. Now you need to change your banners under your name. Enjoy the car. :)
Very true! Thanks Sandra, won't be very difficult to enjoy!

Reactions: AlS3BE, NevMan and Sandra

Looking forward to pics.
+1
I could see me returning to an S5 at some point again

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Sandra, Adam14 and 1 other person
As promised here's a few pictures, will try and get more tomorrow. Absolutely loving the car.

S5 is a lovely car. I almost got one just like yours instead of the s3 but couldn’t justify the extra cost. Was expecting to do about 3-4k a year when I looked for one so it would have been an expensive lawn ornament.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
S5 is a lovely car. I almost got one just like yours instead of the s3 but couldn’t justify the extra cost. Was expecting to do about 3-4k a year when I looked for one so it would have been an expensive lawn ornament.
Aye understandable that mate, I got a cracking deal on it so it's actually cheaper per month than my S3 so is a win win! Just getting used to the bigger car. Also the fact it doesn't appear to have folding mirrors.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and AlS3BE

Awesome Adam, local dealer to me has a black S5 for sale so might ask for a cheeky quote lol. Surprised the car is cheaper to buy but you never know if you don't ask.
Look forward to a mini review compared to the S3. :thumbs up:

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and Adam14
Aye understandable that mate, I got a cracking deal on it so it's actually cheaper per month than my S3 so is a win win! Just getting used to the bigger car. Also the fact it doesn't appear to have folding mirrors.

Cars at this price range should have folding mirrors as standard!!
My old 1.2 fiesta from 2007 had folding mirrors out the factory and that was bought at £7k new.
One of my biggest gripe with Audi’s. When speccing a new car you look for the cool options like the virtual cockpit but never think about having to spec mirrors so it’s always missed.

Reactions: NevMan and Ron240
It’s standard on the facelift S3 and TT, strange it’s not on an S5. Completely agree it ridiculous that it’s not considering the cost of one, but that’s Audi for you.

It’s standard on the facelift S3 and TT, strange it’s not on an S5. Completely agree it ridiculous that it’s not considering the cost of one, but that’s Audi for you.

The S5 (I believe) isn’t the latest FL, but agree they should have folding mirrors. 1st thing I spec on my cars, if only for the ability to see pavement/line when reversing into space/bay

Reactions: Chris4410, Snake Pliskin and Lehn
Actually it isn't, my friend has a 2018 S3 saloon Black Edition without folding mirrors!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I don't think it does! But have yet to play around with the MMI settings. The mirror controller shows the heating option, but not the mirror fold option like in the S3.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I went from an S3 to S5, very different types of car, I did enjoy it, but looking back now I personally wish I had held onto the S3 a little longer, and then gone straight to the RS3. The 5 was a bit too grown up for me haha, that said it is still an outrageously good car and yours looks gorgeous!

Mine was a black edition too, albeit the previous generation, and it didn't have folding mirrors, I must of locked that thing 4-5 times every time I left it alone haha!

Unless they put the folding mirrors on the wltp cars my 2018 didn’t come with them. Suppose to sweeten the deal on losing 10bhp.

Love it ... looks ace mate :icon thumright:

Totally agree with @Audi Bairn in that it is one of the current crop of Audi cars which I would happily step back into aswell.

I've actually disabled the folding mirrors on mine, I fold them manually whenever I need to. Don't want the motor burning out on me at some point from over use!

Unless they put the folding mirrors on the wltp cars my 2018 didn’t come with them. Suppose to sweeten the deal on losing 10bhp.
It's £275 on the configurator mate for folding mirrors

Nope. No folding mirrors on 2019 WLTP S3's....I specc'd 'em on mine.:icon thumright:

I've actually disabled the folding mirrors on mine, I fold them manually whenever I need to. Don't want the motor burning out on me at some point from over use!

Well I've had my car 3 years now and the mirrors are set to fold / open on every single lock / open of the car so must have folded 1,000's of times and all good ... I don't think the motor burning out is an issue lol :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and loftylad
It's £275 on the configurator mate for folding mirrors

It is a total rip off ... £275 for folding mirrors and can't possibly cost anything close to that (and should be standard).

I always spec them though, always good to have them tucked in at car parks & roadside and its a good visual check to know you have locked the car too.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound and loftylad
Yeah my car is 4 years old and has been folding about a million times hence I want to limit it! I'm planning to keep the car for at least 5 years and don't fancy shelling out for a new motor. Plus I hardly ever actually need to fold the mirrors so I'll just do it manually

It is a total rip off ... £275 for folding mirrors and can't possibly cost anything close to that (and should be standard).

I always spec them though, always good to have them tucked in at car parks & roadside and its a good visual check to know you have locked the car too.
They Dim now as well, l don't have the dimming function as that was another £75 back when l chose my car mate

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin

@Adam14 - S5 looks stunning mate ! Congrats !
Looking foreword to more pics, inside & out & more of your thoughts on it :thumbs up:

@Snake Pliskin - Absolutely agree
My wife's new Renault Captur comes with leccy foldy mirrors as standard as well as blindspot warning as standard too
Audi really need to sort their spec'ing out TBH before it ends up like MINI, where everything is an option
Like you I do like the visual reminder when locking the car. Must be an age thing lol
PS Cupra has as standard folding mirrors too

Reactions: Jcbmally, Audi Bairn, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
In that case you might as well not have folding mirrors at all. :D
Your attitude to this seems quite extreme.
The main point is to have the mirrors folded when the car is locked. :)
I really miss not having folding mirrors on this car. :(

Reactions: Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin and Adam14