Saying goodbye to the S3

quattrorally

Reaction score
I've had the s3 now for just under 2 years and got the itch for a change. It was a beautiful car, and i have fond memories of all the trips i got to do with it. It was a pocket rocket, with every option i needed. I put it up for sale, and it was collected 2 days ago. If i had to criticise the car, my only criticism would be that it was a bit of a rough ride, though i guess that's to be expected for a hot hatch with no mag ride.

I've just signed the order on its replacement, a 2017 Audi Approved Mythos Black S5 Coupe with 24

It too, has pretty much every option i desire. Virtual Cockpit, Bang and Olufsen, Sunroof, Matrix LED's(dynamic), rear camera, front driver assist camera, Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack, folding mirrors, sport differential, flat bottom wheel, carbon inlays, privacy glass, red brake callipers.

I've added some pictures of my outgoing S3 and would like to say thank you to people on this part of the forum who have helped me out :)

Anyone else here made a similar switch?

Attachments

• 57506233_173923200287268_1058329465122498439_n.jpg
    57506233_173923200287268_1058329465122498439_n.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 286
  • 65186527_2324971264485852_1392232109704987989_n.jpg
    65186527_2324971264485852_1392232109704987989_n.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 210
  • 59693423_446893179420209_7903999599558928392_n.jpg
    59693423_446893179420209_7903999599558928392_n.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, Bells, s3mad_dude and 5 others
Yup went from a 2017 S3 Saloon to a 2018 S5. 0 regrets thus far

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and NevMan
l have been contemplating the new S5 Edition 1 with just 3 options,carbon inlays,Comfort and Sound,Pano.....stunning car but as new car purchase on a pcp deal hugely overpriced but with a big discount....but still wont hold it's value like a S3 does....

Reactions: Jcbmally, John Pilkington, pburv and 2 others
I've had the s3 now for just under 2 years and got the itch for a change. It was a beautiful car, and i have fond memories of all the trips i got to do with it. It was a pocket rocket, with every option i needed. I put it up for sale, and it was collected 2 days ago. If i had to criticise the car, my only criticism would be that it was a bit of a rough ride, though i guess that's to be expected for a hot hatch with no mag ride.

I've just signed the order on its replacement, a 2017 Audi Approved Mythos Black S5 Coupe with 24

It too, has pretty much every option i desire. Virtual Cockpit, Bang and Olufsen, Sunroof, Matrix LED's(dynamic), rear camera, front driver assist camera, Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack, folding mirrors, sport differential, flat bottom wheel, carbon inlays, privacy glass, red brake callipers.

I've added some pictures of my outgoing S3 and would like to say thank you to people on this part of the forum who have helped me out :)

Anyone else here made a similar switch?

I recall some of your pics, especially the 1st one. A cracking S3 that, and your new to you S5 sounds very tastily specced. Look forward to pics

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
l have been contemplating the new S5 Edition 1 with just 3 options,carbon inlays,Comfort and Sound,Pano.....stunning car but as new car purchase on a pcp deal hugely overpriced but with a big discount....but still wont hold it's value like a S3 does....

Have you had a chance to test drive the S5?

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
how did it feel speed/performance wise?
Not a lot different really, still an extremely quick car. It's obviously bigger so doesn't feel as "nimble" but it's hardly a slouch.

It suits me for the amount of miles I do each year.

I have also contemplated the S5, but the sportback, not the coupe. Two reasons: 4 doors over 2 doors. The coupe door is huge and not easy to enter or depart, especially in modern parking spaces. Also the seat belt is a pita to reach for. As a bonus the sportback looks better imo.

I have also contemplated the S5, but the sportback, not the coupe. Two reasons: 4 doors over 2 doors. The coupe door is huge and not easy to enter or depart, especially in modern parking spaces. Also the seat belt is a pita to reach for. As a bonus the sportback looks better imo.

I did think about the sportback too, but couldn't find the right one at the right price. it was over 34k for a similarly spec'd sportback.

Have you had a chance to test drive the S5?
Not yet .....but l will early next year love the interior with the carbon inlays and the matrix laser lights...

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Will be looking to do the same move at some point.

Have had my 17 S3 Saloon for just over a year, has VC and B&O which were my priorities but compromised on nice to haves such as pano and ss seats due to being offered a cracking deal.

It’s a good size, love the looks and can’t really fault it for what it is. Perhaps as you said, the ride is a little harsh even in comfort mag ride on UK shocking roads but was expected and accepted.

I’ve always liked the S5 (Coupe not sportback) but was too much of a compromise on size as an only car at the time. That problem is now solved with another car.

Dad then went and got a well specced 17 S5 Coupe with SS massage seats/matrix/pano on top of the B&O and VC. The interior does feel nicer than the S3 and it sound nicer too. Will definitely be looking at one next.

I really like the subtle changes they made in the B9.5, the lights are sexy af, so despite it sounding s*** I will probably hold out to get a couple year old one of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally
Lots of S3 owners seem to be going to S5’s, I did the same before the 2nd lockdown. Picked up a really low mileage 17 plate for a bargain price with every option spec’d by the previous owner who obviously had money to burn.

It’s good you’ve got one with the sports diff it really makes the car feel a lot more engaging to drive well I think so anyway compared to my previous S5 I had without it.

Only slightly disappointing thing is the exhaust sound, it sounds better than the S3 but is rather muted compared to the sound I had on my res delete S3. Nothing an aftermarket exhaust won’t fix but I’ve got mine booked into PCW Mods who reworks your existing exhaust and it’s much cheaper although he has a long waiting list I’m not getting mine done till Feb!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, Adam14 and 1 other person
Lots of S3 owners seem to be going to S5’s, I did the same before the 2nd lockdown. Picked up a really low mileage 17 plate for a bargain price with every option spec’d by the previous owner who obviously had money to burn.

It’s good you’ve got one with the sports diff it really makes the car feel a lot more engaging to drive well I think so anyway compared to my previous S5 I had without it.

Only slightly disappointing thing is the exhaust sound, it sounds better than the S3 but is rather muted compared to the sound I had on my res delete S3. Nothing an aftermarket exhaust won’t fix but I’ve got mine booked into PCW Mods who reworks your existing exhaust and it’s much cheaper although he has a long waiting list I’m not getting mine done till Feb!

Does yours have dynamic steering too? I don't....I wonder if I'm missing out? I've heard mixed things.

in any case I had my first drive today and really enjoyed it, just effortless power delivered so smoothly. I even noticed some subtle pops and bangs when decelerating after a downshift.

definitely doesn't compare to a Res delete s3 in terms of sheer loudness but the V6 does have a better note in my opinion. the turbo on mine whistles a lot too, which is a plus!

What are you having done to the exhaust then? I wouldn't mind getting those pops a little louder.

I've not actually found it too bad. The coupe also has a seatbelt waiter which negates that last point ;)

Reactions: Jcbmally, quattrorally, NevMan and 1 other person
Does yours have dynamic steering too? I don't....I wonder if I'm missing out? I've heard mixed things.

in any case I had my first drive today and really enjoyed it, just effortless power delivered so smoothly. I even noticed some subtle pops and bangs when decelerating after a downshift.

definitely doesn't compare to a Res delete s3 in terms of sheer loudness but the V6 does have a better note in my opinion. the turbo on mine whistles a lot too, which is a plus!

What are you having done to the exhaust then? I wouldn't mind getting those pops a little louder.

Pops and bangs likely to be sound pumped into cabin. PCWMods takes exhaust off, and modifies the backbox, and can do more depending on sound you want. Check him out on FB or insta, loss of sound bites. Also he cuts box from top and re-welds so you cannot see anything from underneath

Reactions: Jcbmally, Adam14 and pburv

Yeah I’ve got dynamic steering on mine, can’t say I’ve noticed it that much to be honest it’s more the sports diff that everyone says is the thing to have but maybe there is a little less steering input required.

The V6 definitely has a nicer tone. I do think it is actually louder outside than it appears in the cabin as it does still turn heads, maybe just be well sound insulated.

As others have said PCW Mods cuts and rewelds your existing exhaust to create more noise think he’s suggested to modify the two resonators and the back box for more noise on mine, although I’ve told him I want to avoid any drone on the motorway etc but he doesn’t reckon that will be an issue. I’ll update in Feb once I’ve been, but I’ve heard a few sound clips and I’m sure I won’t be disappointed he definitely knows what he’s doing, he had a Ferrari FF in over the weekend so does all sorts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, Adam14 and NevMan
Yeah I’ve got dynamic steering on mine, can’t say I’ve noticed it that much to be honest it’s more the sports diff that everyone says is the thing to have but maybe there is a little less steering input required.

The V6 definitely has a nicer tone. I do think it is actually louder outside than it appears in the cabin as it does still turn heads, maybe just be well sound insulated.

As others have said PCW Mods cuts and rewelds your existing exhaust to create more noise think he’s suggested to modify the two resonators and the back box for more noise on mine, although I’ve told him I want to avoid any drone on the motorway etc but he doesn’t reckon that will be an issue. I’ll update in Feb once I’ve been, but I’ve heard a few sound clips and I’m sure I won’t be disappointed he definitely knows what he’s doing, he had a Ferrari FF in over the weekend so does all sorts.

You will LOVE it @Bells

Reactions: Jcbmally and Bells
0 issues with my S5 exhaust, Paul (PCW) done it last September for me. Modified resonators and backbox, have had my car serviced and had 0 issues, even my indy said the work was top quality.
Gives a much nicer tone and doesn't drone on the motorway (yes it's louder obviously) but not to the point where you'd get annoyed with it. I've done 5+ hour journeys and 0 drone issue.

Reactions: NevMan, Bells and Jcbmally