Scratched gloss black door pillar trim :(

zooankski

Reaction score
Spent a few hours today cleaning my 3 week old car and noticed there is a hoofing great scratch on the gloss black trim panel aft of the drivers door. No idea how it got there but i assume replacement is my only real option as plastic polishing never really works too well?
Anyone got a part number for these or suggestions? how do i remove it?

Gutted :(

For plastic try toothpaste applied with a makeup remover pad. You'd be surprised how well that works (seriously)

Mine was delivered with scratched black gloss pillars. It takes patience, but using a medium cut pad/polish is will remove the scratches. End off with fine cut pad/polish

When I collected mine it had loads of swirl marks on the gloss plastic, I taped the windows up and used a machine polisher with some meguairs ultimate compound. They are now like brand new. If you can rub your fingernail over the scratch and your nail doesn't catch then it can be buffed out

Screenshot 2015 04 09 07 57 43

Did mine last month.
White hex logic pad with car pro reflect.
2 quick passes and it's 99% there. Couple of deeper scratches I'll sort next time

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyH38 and Rob2k68
how do i remove it

From what I can tell looking at a picture of one on the H/B the rear edge hooks around the back of the door and the front edge has 3 fixings inside the glass run channel so you will need to remove the seals to gain access to these. On a S/B I'd imagine the rear door part to be similar.

u8HxYaV9

Once the fixings are out slide down about 30mm as there is a moulded in hook feature at the top. Not sure on the build process but would imagine this to be easier without the door glass in place.

Last edited:
Used scratch x on a badly scratched interior black panel on my last A3. Staggered that it removed it to the point you couldn't tell.

Brasso, or is that too abrasive as it works well on scratched acrylic baths...

Excellent, thanks for all the info. I will give it a go tomorrow :)

I have still not had a chance to try as i got sent to Munich with work. Next day off is Tuesday so have it pencilled in for a go then :)

I've used Autoglym Super Resin Polish on a similar surface, it was the glossy black grill on my old 8P which had light surface scratches/marks. After a bit of work it removed the scratches.

I've used Autoglym Super Resin Polish on a similar surface, it was the glossy black grill on my old 8P which had light surface scratches/marks. After a bit of work it removed the scratches.

With a DA or by hand? I have some SRP :)

Hi I used mega 105 & 205 polish on a white Hex logic pad.

OK thanks for that ;)

Yeah, I also have some poorboys black hole polish...may try that on one side and the srp on the other :)