Scratches on side window (factory tint)

El-Cap

Reaction score
Noticed small scratches in the rear passenger window- really shows up in the sun. Looks like the tint has been scratched. Is that possible? Is factory tint allows externally?

Tried polishing the glass with CarPro CeriGlass which hasn’t made much difference. Any ideas? Car is a 2019 Vorsprung A7.

'Privacy glass' is specially made, a dark pigment is added to the blend during the manufacturing process to achieve a given level of VLT. It's an electronic process called 'deep dipping' and as such cannot be removed. It sounds like the glass itself has been scratched.

Reactions: El-Cap
'Privacy glass' is specially made, a dark pigment is added to the blend during the manufacturing process to achieve a given level of VLT. It's an electronic process called 'deep dipping' and as such cannot be removed. It sounds like the glass itself has been scratched.

Thanks for that. The glass is definitely scratched - but I thought it was in a tint but obviously not. Not sure if it will need replaced or whether if such things can be repaired?

Ceriglass (cerium oxide) needs a rayon pad and a rotary polisher and a medium speed. Doing it by hand or with a DA will take ages. Automotive Glass is seriously hard stuff.

Get more aggressive with it. Some windshield places will also offer this as a service if you re timid of doing it yourself.

Reactions: El-Cap and Jassyo06
Ceriglass (cerium oxide) needs a rayon pad and a rotary polisher and a medium speed. Doing it by hand or with a DA will take ages. Automotive Glass is seriously hard stuff.

Get more aggressive with it. Some windshield places will also offer this as a service if you re timid of doing it yourself.

Thanks! I am working at it with a small hand pad - probably not the right tool for the job!

Reactions: 123Quattro
I though polishing scratches out of glass is near on impossible to do because how hard the glass is to correct.

Polishing scratches is possible if they aren't too deep, but it takes a rotary polished and a very aggressive rayon pad and cerium oxide to cut into it.

I don't think it makes sense to do anything. Anyway, the scratches will still appear. It is impossible to avoid scratches on a car, especially on the windows, so I recommend not paying much attention to this. I also have many scratches that are much more visible in the sun. I tried to make a shade of black to cover these scratches, but without success, they were just as visible, and instead, I felt much more insecure behind the wheel because I couldn't see clearly through the windows. So I installed some sunshades that I bought from https://snapshades.com.au/, which makes the scratches less noticeable.