SD Card Sat Nav update

Stew76

Reaction score
My A5 35tfsi was registered March 2019. Satnav is via SD card and has never been updated although I'm sure I was told I could get 3 years of updates. I've just booked in for service/MOT and I enquired about getting a map update. Dealer told me I could do it myself by logging in to myAudi and downloading the latest update. Tried this but there is no option to download updates within myAudi. Emailed customer service and they replied "Your vehicle doesn't have the necessary prerequisites in order to update them from the my.audi.com website, which unfortunately isn't customizable" and told me to contact a dealership. Does this mean I'm not entitled to any free updates?

Yes, Iif yours is the SD Sat Nav (like mine) then the upgrade is to buy a new Audi Map on an SD card for ££££

The over the wire updates are for those with the hard drive Sat Nav that was part of the technology (plus) upgrade.

OK cheers, its what I suspected, disappointing as it is. I'll get them to double check when I'm in getting it serviced but I won't hold out much hope!

You should be able to get the downloads from my.Audi.com on a PC (not the iOS / Android App) and then insert into car and perform a map update using the software update option in the MMI. I did it for each 6 month update on a MY16 S3 until sold it. This should be same procedure as non touch screen A5 which you have. Should be on the Features tab. Touch screen is over the air updates but does show map update as well for my MY21 A5.

The actual update is done via a Java app you download via the link which prompts for credential and then download location. You then transfer directory created onto SD card and pop it into the car to do actual update.

Attachments

• EB102A84-508F-41DA-A1B0-971BF34D8067.png
    EB102A84-508F-41DA-A1B0-971BF34D8067.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 99
Thanks, tried that but there is no link to map updates on the features tab for me. Dealer confirmed I would need to buy SD Card and get them to activate.

I did have Audi Connect ticked on options so maybe that’s a prerequisite to free maps? Also was car out of warranty when you tried to update? Saying that I’m near certain you should get 3 years free updates.

Last edited: