SD card slot (for POI's and map updates)

essooil

Reaction score
Thanks for reading this. This question is about the new 2020 S3 (8Y) and how you update the maps and map POIs.

I own a 2017 S3 with all the extras including Technology Pack, Comfort, Driver Assistance etc.

I regularly use the SD card slot in my glove box to update the maps. I also upload map POIs using the same SD card slot. I looked at a new S3 today but it didn't have an SD card slot.

Can any 2020/21 S3 owners tell me if there is an SD card slot and if not how do you update the maps and POIs?

Also, when I first got my S3 in 2017 you could upload POIs from the My.Audi website which then uploaded these to the vehicle. This was easy to do but in 2019 Audi stopped this facility in the UK. Crazy! It was a brilliant feature. This is why I had to use the SD card slot.

Does anyone know if Audi have updated the features on their website so UK S3 owners can upload point of interests direct to the vehicle?

Really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks for reading this. This question is about the new 2020 S3 (8Y) and how you update the maps and map POIs.

I own a 2017 S3 with all the extras including Technology Pack, Comfort, Driver Assistance etc.

I regularly use the SD card slot in my glove box to update the maps. I also upload map POIs using the same SD card slot. I looked at a new S3 today but it didn't have an SD card slot.

Can any 2020/21 S3 owners tell me if there is an SD card slot and if not how do you update the maps and POIs?

Also, when I first got my S3 in 2017 you could upload POIs from the My.Audi website which then uploaded these to the vehicle. This was easy to do but in 2019 Audi stopped this facility in the UK. Crazy! It was a brilliant feature. This is why I had to use the SD card slot.

Does anyone know if Audi have updated the features on their website so UK S3 owners can upload point of interests direct to the vehicle?

You can upload a destination from the app/website, not sure on POI’s though not looked at it really in any detail.

Maps as far as I’m aware update over the air, I’ve had a few updates since i got my S3

Yep - maps just update over the air and if you used the SD for music etc you can just use a low-profile USB in the centre USB.

Thanks for the replies. Are you saying the new S3 doesn't have SD card slot and you use the USB port in the charging area underneath the climate controls to update POIs?

Does anyone know for sure if you can upload map points of interest to the new S3?

No SD card slot that I’ve found

Will post a pic and links of Usb flash drive and adapter I’m using. I’m mainly using the wireless apple CarPlay if I’m honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No SD card slot that I’ve found

Will post a pic and links of Usb flash drive and adapter I’m using. I’m mainly using the wireless apple CarPlay if I’m honest.

725c85625a3aff9b5cc11d24ab139de0.jpg

Adapter
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XW7S1BC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Usb drive
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077VY...abc_ZEP3ZJ1VY4XM7ZWAZBDM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The touchscreen version of the mmi which replaced the previous version with the separate control wheel and is shared across a number I’d models eg A3, A4, A5, Q3 does not support the importing of POI via an SD card. This is now done online by sending them to car via the My Audi App. The advantage of using the SD card was that you could do a bulk update for example if you wanted to upload speed camera locations for example.

Personally I find the new touchscreen a lot less intuitive / user friendly and a lot more distracting than using the control wheel and have therefore switched to using the Waze app via Apple Car Play. This has the added benefits of real time updates for things such as mobile speed cameras and also seems to be more accurate in predicting journey times