SD Card What Is The Biggest I Can Use

mystic.bertie

Reaction score
Hi guys i already mistakenly bought a micro SDHC card 128gb and i soon discovered it does not work. After reading the manual and forums is looks like im limited to an SD card that's 2gb, i read very old posts where someone got a 4gb sd card to work. If thats the case what card should i buy? cheers.

I made a similar mistake and although I didn't try any larger than 2gb non HC they're the ones that worked. They're not particularly easy to come by best look on ebay

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Reactions: mystic.bertie
I made a similar mistake and although I didn't try any larger than 2gb non HC they're the ones that worked. They're not particularly easy to come by best look on ebay

Thanks for your reply. I will have a look on ebay and see if i can find one thats suitable.

Assuming you are looking at any of the B8 MMI systems.

Officially only SDHC cards are supported. 32GB is the largest SDHC card that is possible.

32GB is also the largest supportable size by FAT32 (in windows formatter)

You can get larger cards to work if you format them as FAT32 not exFAT, but you need 3rd party software to do this. It’s also a bit hot and miss.

OliNix
B8.5 S4 Avant - Glacier White

Reactions: spartacus68
Assuming you are looking at any of the B8 MMI systems.

Officially only SDHC cards are supported. 32GB is the largest SDHC card that is possible.

32GB is also the largest supportable size by FAT32 (in windows formatter)

You can get larger cards to work if you format them as FAT32 not exFAT, but you need 3rd party software to do this. It’s also a bit hot and miss.
OliNix

Thanks for your reply i should have mentioned i have the concert stereo which has a limit of 2gb and it seems it has to be SD card and non HC.

I must admit, I was basing my advice on a 2012 A3 that I had and upgraded to a an RNSE unit with sat nav, I tried a 4gb sdhc and it didn't work but a 2gb non hc did, both formatted to fat32. I've not got around to seeing what cards I can go up to on my b8.5 yet but it's the 'high' spec so maybe 32gb or more

Thanks for your reply i should have mentioned i have the concert stereo which has a limit of 2gb and it seems it has to be SD card and non HC.

Ah, the concert uses a similar system to the B7.

The max regular SD format card is 4GB. I used to have them in my old B7 with RNS-E. They are quite hard to get hold of now though. I believe Transcend were the only people to ever make a 4GB SD (and not SDHC) card.

OliNix

I must admit, I was basing my advice on a 2012 A3 that I had and upgraded to a an RNSE unit with sat nav, I tried a 4gb sdhc and it didn't work but a 2gb non hc did, both formatted to fat32. I've not got around to seeing what cards I can go up to on my b8.5 yet but it's the 'high' spec so maybe 32gb or more

thanks for your reply, i think the early A4 B8 models had a different spec as to what card size you could use etc.

Ah, the concert uses a similar system to the B7.

The max regular SD format card is 4GB. I used to have them in my old B7 with RNS-E. They are quite hard to get hold of now though. I believe Transcend were the only people to ever make a 4GB SD (and not SDHC) card.
OliNix

Hi mate thanks for your reply i also read old post it was Transcend 4gb cards people were using, thanks for conforming this. I will have a look on ebay for a Transcend non HC 4gb SD car. ;)

This usually doesn’t work as they are SDHC. if you can find a SD microSD, then yes it will work in an adapter
OliNix

Thanks for your reply. I cant find the Transcend SD card 4gb on ebay or amazon. As you say the micro sd cards are all HC . I ordered a used Transcend 2gb micro sd card for now, i will see if this works with an adapter. If i cant find the 4gb Transcend card ill end up using a few 2gb cards. I can also copy some mp3 folders to a cd as it looks like it will play mp3 cds.

My 2010 B8 with basic Concert works fine with a SAMSUNG EVO 32GB microSD HC Card in an adapter.
I believe it was only the very first B8's 2008/2009 that were limited to 4GB SD Cards.

Be aware that most of the "cheap" cards on ebay and amazon are fakes. There is a test you can run to check them (after you have purchased) - Best to buy from a reputable seller at the correct price if you don't want grief! The fakes have a tiny memory capacity which shows up as correct (big) capacity. Once that is filled you end up with a corrupt card and no access to the data.

Last edited:
Curve ball.... why not use something like a Tune2Air and just stream via Bluetooth?

My car is non mmi does it have anywhere to plug that into?

My 2010 B8 with basic Concert works fine with a SAMSUNG EVO 32GB microSD HC Card in an adapter.
I believe it was only the very first B8's 2008/2009 that were limited to 4GB SD Cards.

Be aware that most of the "cheap" cards on ebay and amazon are fakes. There is a test you can run to check them (after you have purchased) - Best to buy from a reputable seller at the correct price if you don't want grief! The fakes have a tiny memory capacity which shows up as correct (big) capacity. Once that is filled you end up with a corrupt card and no access to the data.

Yeah your right my early car is limited to the 2gb sd card and the transcend are not made any more and hard to find. I dont trust ebay memory cards either but i bought a second hand 2gb card for a couple of quid so as long as it works i want to test it to make sure its working properly.

My car is non mmi does it have anywhere to plug that into?

Not sure, check the Tune2air website.

I think most of them plug into the glovebox using the AMI.

If there isn’t one available you can always use a dension unit. This takes any SD size. Depending on your factory fit items you could also replace the BT module with it. Check their website to see which you would need

OliNix

Not sure, check the Tune2air website.

I think most of them plug into the glovebox using the AMI.

If there isn’t one available you can always use a dension unit. This takes any SD size. Depending on your factory fit items you could also replace the BT module with it. Check their website to see which you would need

OliNix

Thanks for all the good info mate. Ill have a look in my glovebox and see if there is any connectors there.

I've even bought fake second hand cards from CeX (WeBuy as they're called now)!! They seem to pass their (must be fairly basic) tests

I've even bought fake second hand cards from CeX (WeBuy as they're called now)!! They seem to pass their (must be fairly basic) tests

cheers mate as long as the fakes work thats all that matters for a few bucks.