Sd sat nav card

WelshWoody83

Reaction score
a friend of mine works in vehicle recovery. After the car has been written off the person can go and get their things or chose not too.
He had an Audi Q3 in last week and the owner didn't want to remove anything before it gets taken to wherever it goes, to be crushed or scrap recovery?
Anyway he knows the dilemma I'm in with wanting to get the sat nav activated but not wanting to pay £680 for it!
In the Q3 was a 2015 Europa map SD card, he got it for me and I took it to my local Audi dealership.
I asked them if I would be able to use it in my car if they could activate it for me. The tech guy told me in some models an SD card is actually paired to the vehicle so it can't ever be used in another car, basically when it's been activated the only thing it's good for is the bin if you no longer need it?
Anyway they said that some models have the SD cards paired to the car and some don't but couldn't tell me or test it.
Is this true? It just seemed a bit of a half ***** comment to get me out of there as I already pointed out the price difference between there and Crewe Audi.

I bought a SD card for my A3 as it was missing, I first tried a friends card and it worked perfect so I knew it was activated and which one to go for. The code on his card started with 8V0 and it was 2013 maps.

I found someone local on eBay who had a SD card.
The guy who I bought it off had a few different versions 2013, 2014 and 2015.
The 8V0 2014 version SD card worked a treat and cost me £40.

Some of the cards he tried didn't work so best to test first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shortyian
I maybe missing something here but..... Try it in your car

Reactions: Scottyg
Can the VCDS software activate Sat Nav or is it dealer only?

I have, it says sat nav needs to be activated. But that doesn't tell me if the SD card is locked to another car and therefore useless.
Only a dealer or authorised 3rd party can get the status of the SD card via the Audi online network.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I was told they could tell me until they tried it.
The "usage" history for the SD Card ID is stored within the Audi Online Networks' Database. Unless a dealer or an authorised 3rd party connects your car to ODIS or VASPC and "phones hone" while the Nav Card is inserted there is no way to know.

If you want to know if your car is activated for SD Nav you need to access the Red Engineering Menu and look to see what codes are active:
  1. Press Menu > Press and Hold the Back Button + Top Left MMI Selection Button > Hold unit Red Engineering Menu opens.
  2. Look for Detected Bundles = HMINavi
  • Res = Restricted / Not Activated
  • Act = Active / Activated
*Press and Hold the Back Button + Top Left MMI Selection Button again to exit the menu.

Attachments

• IMG_4897.JPG
    IMG_4897.JPG
    974.8 KB · Views: 1,385
Reactions: Rob2k68, traindweller, pburv and 1 other person
The "usage" history for the SD Card ID is stored within the Audi Online Networks' Database. Unless a dealer or an authorised 3rd party connects your car to ODIS or VASPC and "phones hone" while the Nav Card is inserted there is no way to know.

If you want to know if your car is activated for SD Nav you need to access the Red Engineering Menu and look to see what codes are active:
  1. Press Menu > Press and Hold the Back Button + Top Left MMI Selection Button > Hold unit Red Engineering Menu opens.
  2. Look for Detected Bundles = HMINavi
  • Res = Restricted / Not Activated
  • Act = Active / Activated
*Press and Hold the Back Button + Top Left MMI Selection Button again to exit the menu.
Hello, when I go into engineer mode , the HMINavi has Act next to it so I guess that's active then?
When I go to Nav mode, whether the SD card is in it or not it says Navigation not enabled?
Does that mean I just need to get a map SD card then as its already active?

Activated for SDNav and SDNav active are two different things. You need a cards' secure ID linked in order to fully complete activation.

Activated cards from other cars don't work, well not the ones I have tested anyway, even if your MMI is activated. I have tested this at length and never had success unless I edited the firmware and then flashed.

You will need to source a "Virgin" SD card and have Audi (or authorised 3rd party) activate the licence, then "link" the secure ID number to the cars CAN Gateway.

If you manage to source an SD Card which works straight away without going to Audi it will 100% be deactivated by Audi when / if your car goes in for any works (database mismatch) and will not be re-activated unless you can prove the card has not been stolen and that you have a valid licence, made up of of x6 multi digit code numbers.

In a bid to put this subject to bed, as there have already been a good number of threads on this, I Suggest googling SWaP (software as a product) as Nav is a prime example, together with ADS, ACC, Lane Assist and even normal CC for our cars.

There is no other "legal" way to have SD Card based, or HDD for that matter, Nav work without the Audi network activating all parts of it.

ok thanks, all I want to know now though is as its shows in engineering mode that it is activated, can I just ask to buy the SD card and have it linked up? Surely that won't cost me £680 now?

ok thanks, all I want to know now though is as its shows in engineering mode that it is activated, can I just ask to buy the SD card and have it linked up? Surely that won't cost me £680 now?
Actually it probably is a little confusing but it's saying that your MMI is ready and allowed to have SDNav, some units say "res".

It should approx cost £350 for the SD + licences and then £150 approx for the install. If you are being quoted more than this, unless Audi UK has revised its prices, it means that the dealer is pricing you out as they basically don't want the job, but don't want to tell you so. They don't make much profit from what I understand and would rather change wipers and wing mirror glass.

I bought a SD card for my A3 as it was missing, I first tried a friends card and it worked perfect so I knew it was activated and which one to go for. The code on his card started with 8V0 and it was 2013 maps.

I found someone local on eBay who had a SD card.
The guy who I bought it off had a few different versions 2013, 2014 and 2015.
The 8V0 2014 version SD card worked a treat and cost me £40.

Some of the cards he tried didn't work so best to test first.

I can confirm this also - already had nav fitted / activated but SD card was missing on purchase:

8V0 2015 sd nav card - didnt work

8V0 2013 card (same year as my car) works fine 100%

Reactions: Usman786
54e47758f78e0d389519dcbfb9ce533e.jpg
111bc2f84a662eb2419c0b8cb5936c92.jpg

My friend had 2013 which worked fine in mine, I eventually went for the 2014 maps which work as well.

I bought the above 2013 map SD card to try in my car and that doesnt work either... Oh well Audi it is then.

I bought the above 2013 map SD card to try in my car and that doesnt work either... Oh well Audi it is then.

What was the error?
Find someone local who has a few to try before buy.

Reactions: andrew kay
It just says Navigation not enabled as in the picture I posted above.
When I go into media selection it knows its a navigation SD card but when I select the nav option I get the "Navigation not enabled" screen yet in engineer mode it shows it is.
I don`t know anybody locally who could help either.

ive just tried a seat ibiza car in my 2015 and it worked too..

Attachments

• 20180725_111044.jpg
    20180725_111044.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 896