Second hand diagnostic cable

kester holmes

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum having just bought a 2006 a3 tdi for my daughter, coming from a long line of Vw and seats.
Seems I need a hex Can cable to read fault codes - is there any way of buying second hand? The car was only a few hundred, so right now I can’t justify full cost of Ross tech, until I’m sure of keeping the car, if I get it thro the imminent MOT.
Any suggestions welcome for cheaper option for fault codes. thanks

Well 1st what issues are you experiencing?

ABS and pad sensor warning lights on (even tho i've connected the pad sensor wires). EML light on, prev owner told me its EGR which i've now cleaned.
Be nice if there were ways of disabling autolocking of all doors, or at least ensuring they all auto-unlock.
ta

if i cant get a cheap cable or fault reader then i'll gamble and replace the front left ABS sensor and pad wear connector.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-OBD2-Diagnostic-Code-reader-ABS-SRS-Oil-EPB-Reset-Engine-Scanner-For-VW-Audi/392243595825?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item5b538a4a31:g:WBwAAOSwvAJfdAEQ&enc=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&checksum=3922435958256ad11ca3adfd4b7a88c503c46ae7f9fe

something like that ancel vd500 will scan and clear codes no issue.

if you want something to code the car (which youll need if you cant turn off the auto locking on the dash dis), youre looking at vcds, vcpsystems, obdeleven, icarly etc.
but for a basic scan and error code clear, dont need to spend much.

with abs and eml faults, i wouldnt be randomly replacing parts tbh. a scan will narrow the issue down for you. abs could be the pump for all you know

I'm going to be selling my Hex-can lead shortly as ill be upgrading. Looking for £200 for it. Its the unlimited VIN model.

You might find tho that Carista will do everything you need and its a lot cheaper

I'm going to be selling my Hex-can lead shortly as ill be upgrading. Looking for £200 for it. Its the unlimited VIN model.

You might find tho that Carista will do everything you need and its a lot cheaper
Just dropped you a PM mate

Thanks for the replies and offers.
I went ahead and bought an OBDC Eleven. Waiting for it to arrive - £60 odd.
I looked on eBay, but not Gumtree, which I should have. The £20 Ross tech cables on there - are they likely problematic, or just old good value options?
Cheers

Thanks for the replies and offers.
I went ahead and bought an OBDC Eleven. Waiting for it to arrive - £60 odd.
I looked on eBay, but not Gumtree, which I should have. The £20 Ross tech cables on there - are they likely problematic, or just old good value options?
Cheers

The 20 quid cables are fakes. They'll work, but can't be updated. Some say they can corrupt modules/the ecu, dunno about all that though.

Obdeleven was a good choice, enjoy it