Security

Vertigo1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not been on here for a while for various reasons but I'm now on the brink of ordering a new S3.

The one last thing which is preying on my mind is security. I'm a natural worrier and I'm concerned that it's going to get nicked the moment it arrives. Can someone please put my mind at rest? :(

All you can do is have the house alarmed, CCTV and good strong locks to make it harder for the thief to get your keys.

I have an Autowatch Ghost installed so even if they get the keys they can't start the car and also got GAP insurance.

Reactions: Terminator x
All you can do is have the house alarmed, CCTV and good strong locks to make it harder for the thief to get your keys.

I have an Autowatch Ghost installed so even if they get the keys they can't start the car and also got GAP insurance.

How much did this cost mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost is about £400, CCTV I install but you can get a decent kit for £500.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rolly12
I looked at additional measures like the Ghost but I'm not so sure. I subscribe to the theory that your keys should be in plain sight, not hidden, as if someone is prepared to break in for them when I'm at home, I'd rather they just took them and left rather than threatening or attacking me for them. Same applies with something like the Ghost, they could just get ****** and come back inside demanding you release it.

Have a police monitored alarm but no CCTV - not really sure that'd help as, with the proliferation of domestic cameras and the like, any thief with two brain cells is going to cover their face.

Reactions: richinsoton
Out of interest, does anyone here use a tracker type device? I've read conflicting info on these too, as some claim that, even if they recover your car, it'll have stolen/recovered on its history forever which will make insurance a nightmare and harm residuals. Basically if it's taken, you don't want it back.

Ghost looks a good system to me. What do you do when your car goes in for service? Is there a code to disable it for the day, or similar?
One concern I would have with it is the question of reliability. I conjure up an image of it not responding and leaving me stranded with Audi unable to find it or fix it.

Reactions: RSS-S3
Ghost looks a good system to me. What do you do when your car goes in for service? Is there a code to disable it for the day, or similar?
One concern I would have with it is the question of reliability. I conjure up an image of it not responding and leaving me stranded with Audi unable to find it or fix it.

Warranty also concerns me with things like this connected to the electrics. Of course they'll say it won't harm your warranty but will Audi be as understanding if you have any electrical problems?

I looked at additional measures like the Ghost but I'm not so sure. I subscribe to the theory that your keys should be in plain sight, not hidden, as if someone is prepared to break in for them when I'm at home, I'd rather they just took them and left rather than threatening or attacking me for them. Same applies with something like the Ghost, they could just get ****** and come back inside demanding you release it.

Have a police monitored alarm but no CCTV - not really sure that'd help as, with the proliferation of domestic cameras and the like, any thief with two brain cells is going to cover their face.
That's true re Ghost but if you aren't at home (holiday working away etc)) they cant threaten you for the code.

That's true re Ghost but if you aren't at home (holiday working away etc)) they cant threaten you for the code.

To be honest, 99% of the time I'm not at home, the car is with me. It's rare I go away without taking the car and, if I did, I wouldn't leave it on the drive anyway.

People may like the keys in plain sight but the one thing that shouldn't be in plain sight is the car. Any high performance car should be garaged, or parked at the side or rear of a property behind solid gates high enough to hide the car. This alone will massively reduce the risk of theft. All you have to worry about then are the carjackers.

People may like the keys in plain sight but the one thing that shouldn't be in plain sight is the car. Any high performance car should be garaged, or parked at the side or rear of a property behind solid gates high enough to hide the car. This alone will massively reduce the risk of theft. All you have to worry about then are the carjackers.

Not practical for me I'm afraid, will be on the drive in front of the house. At least I'm at the end of a cul-de-sac so don't get any through-traffic so it'd only be noticed if someone was deliberate prowling around looking.

To be honest, 99% of the time I'm not at home, the car is with me. It's rare I go away without taking the car and, if I did, I wouldn't leave it on the drive anyway.
Well not a lot more to suggest, pot luck

Well not a lot more to suggest, pot luck

LOL yeah. I think I was kind of hoping people would say "don't worry, you'll probably be fine" rather than advising me to turn the house into a fortress :)

Reactions: richard skilbeck
LOL yeah. I think I was kind of hoping people would say "don't worry, you'll probably be fine" rather than advising me to turn the house into a fortress :)
I used to worry just the same lol.
I have a Clifford alarm/immobiliser on my van, it beeps when anybody goes close to it and has a pin code entry before the van starts, they are £600 fitted, maybe a good idea

Not practical for me I'm afraid, will be on the drive in front of the house. At least I'm at the end of a cul-de-sac so don't get any through-traffic so it'd only be noticed if someone was deliberate prowling around looking.
Prowling is exactly what pro thieves do. They cruise the streets, especially in nice upmarket neighbourhoods looking for parked vehicles. They also appreciate that people who live in these areas are not always as careful with their property as they could be. They will check back more than once to note if the car resides there before paying you a visit.

I wish it would be as easy as saying that but the truth is they are b******* and we can't do much if they do decide to target the car and it's the worst feeling ever.

I wish it would be as easy as saying that but the truth is they are b******* and we can't do much if they do decide to target the car and it's the worst feeling ever.

TBH I'm kind of thinking that way - that if they decide they want your car, they're going to get it no matter what. No amount of additional security or keeping it in a garage is going to help in reality so why bother.

TBH I'm kind of thinking that way - that if they decide they want your car, they're going to get it no matter what. No amount of additional security or keeping it in a garage is going to help in reality so why bother.

I've done most of what I could possibly do; tracker, garage, lockable posts, piercing house alarm, steering lock, CCTV and I'm about to get an inspection to upgrade all the locks.

What tracker have you got?

Vodafone CobraTrak 5... cost a pretty £1045 from Audi and I can say, I wouldn't buy it again.

Had a few issues with mine, major of which was when my car got recovered 40 miles to Audi. The tracker didn't trigger, so I called them up and asked if the car was OK and they said yes it is showing as status clear. I asked them where it was and he was taken back when he saw it was on the M4. They never could tell me why it didn't work, brilliant faith in the system.. NOT! Probably just software glitches but still. Looking at an AutoWatch Ghost but I'm worried about the effects it could have on the electrics.

Vodafone CobraTrak 5... cost a pretty £1045 from Audi and I can say, I wouldn't buy it again.

Had a few issues with mine, major of which was when my car got recovered 40 miles to Audi. The tracker didn't trigger, so I called them up and asked if the car was OK and they said yes it is showing as status clear. I asked them where it was and he was taken back when he saw it was on the M4. They never could tell me why it didn't work, brilliant faith in the system.. NOT! Probably just software glitches but still. Looking at an AutoWatch Ghost but I'm worried about the effects it could have on the electrics.

Clifford BlackJax is another one, a chap I know still has his RS4 because he had that!

Reactions: AudiNutta
Have a look at Tracker locate. It has the system the police have access to, so if taken, Tracker will activate the system. Then if the car is within a certain distance to a traffic car, or a mobile mast, it will ping up a code on the receiving device. The police then use this to locate the car. The Tracker locate version has GPS and as long as it's not jammed, it will give the Police the exact location of the car.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Autowatch Ghost works just fine, no issue with electrics

Clifford BlackJax is another one, a chap I know still has his RS4 because he had that!
Clifford BlackJax is part of the Clifford 650MK11 system, I have this on my van. It works in 2 ways, pin to be entered before the vehicle can be started and if somebody decides to open the drivers door while the engine is running it will allow the vehicle to drive a short distance and then brake and cut out the engine and sound the alarm.
Very good system

Reactions: Tom.H
Hi all,

Not been on here for a while for various reasons but I'm now on the brink of ordering a new S3.

The one last thing which is preying on my mind is security. I'm a natural worrier and I'm concerned that it's going to get nicked the moment it arrives. Can someone please put my mind at rest? :(

Security.... It's more like yer in need of a joint mate .....!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: BarryG79 and Djs3saloon
Warranty also concerns me with things like this connected to the electrics. Of course they'll say it won't harm your warranty but will Audi be as understanding if you have any electrical problems?

Do not underestimate this ^^

Im having MMI issues on the S7, and have recently been told that I MUST remove OBD Port Protection, dash cameras and sub-woofer installation before they will look at it under warranty. This is a demand from Audi HQ, not my local dealer who has bent over backwards to try and resolve an ongoing DAB reception issue.

They had also demanded removal of any tracking devices, but I forced them to back down on that one. :racer:

Reactions: Rolly12
No amount of additional security or keeping it in a garage is going to help in reality so why bother.

The painful reality is that new cars in general, and S3s in particular, are targets of "Theft from the driveway" Fact.

It sounds like you've already given in to the thieves and are not interested in taking any additional steps to protect your pride and joy, so Id respectfully recommend that you don't an S3, buy 5 year old Skoda. :racer:

Reactions: Jassyo06, mister.c. and richard skilbeck
Do not underestimate this ^^

Im having MMI issues on the S7, and have recently been told that I MUST remove OBD Port Protection, dash cameras and sub-woofer installation before they will look at it under warranty. This is a demand from Audi HQ, not my local dealer who has bent over backwards to try and resolve an ongoing DAB reception issue.

They had also demanded removal of any tracking devices, but I forced them to back down on that one. :racer:
If your using a BlackVue dash cam set up, then that's the answer to your dab problems

Reactions: richard skilbeck
I've got the autowatch ghost system, which I'm very confident in.
Also got
CCTV
A big dog and psycho wife

Reactions: S32B and AudiNutta
@Vertigo1 welcome back!!!!

I expect anyone who has a high performance, high value car has a certain level of concern on it being stolen

For S3's specifically Its very well documented on here the concerns about thefts, I am sure you have searched the forum and seen the large number of threads and posts on the subject which have steadily increased in the last 18 months as well as the repeated media coverage. Consequently I expect S3's are in general probably more well protected by their owners than other premium high performance cars. So by the same logic would be thief's have also noticed they are harder to steal so are probably also looking at less well protected targets. Therefore my logic also says despite the increased publicity I dont think S3's are more likely a target than they were 2 years ago or so

So my view is that don't let that put you off as long as you take reasonable precaution. Most important protect you and your family with alarm, cctv, dashcam and good house locks and if a thief gets past these , as you suggest, leave the keys in plain site and protect the car with GAP.

For "run of the mill" production cars like the S3s for trackers I am in the waste of time camp. I don't want a trashed car back and why should I pay for doing the insurance companies job without the equivalent amount of reduction in my insurance premium (was recently quoted a £100 reduction for fitting a tracker!!!)

Reactions: richinsoton and RedRS3Reilly
If your using a BlackVue dash cam set up, then that's the answer to your dab problems

Already discounted for two reasons.

1. It's the latest cam that has the new suppressed front to rear connecting cable.
2. The problem is still there with the camera system turned off.

Also discounted any USB charger.

My dealer has been very good, but now Audi HQ have stepped in. So far garage has changed the following:
  • 5F headunit
  • Antenna cable front to rear
  • DAB antenna booster
  • Upgraded MMI software to latest release
Still totally random and intermittent DAB signal.

Garage then mapped a route where DAB failed and ran another S7 on the same route. DAB reception solid over the whole route. Ran my car again, random failures the whole route.

If DAB is set to swap to FM if DAB signal is lost, it changes over, but l loose volume control.

They now think it's a faulty rear antenna - which is built into the glass. At which point HQ tech support stepped in and demanded car returned to stock before any further work undertaken. Goes back in next week:scared2::racer:

In and out the house with the keys. They will not hang around if the car won't start. It could just be broken after all.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Valet mode. Speed limited to 30mph afaik.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Regarding people not wanting their cars back after they've been thrashed and trashed.
That is just what the pro thief doesn't do. The car is unlikely to be stolen from your home by boy racers who just want a bit of fun and would do that very thing. The risk/reward ratio involved in breaking into a house to steal keys just to roar around the neighbourhood for a few minutes wouldn't appeal to even the dimmest chav. Rather, the car will be stolen with a view to crating it up and exporting it to Eastern Europe or the African Continent. Whilst it's being driven in the night it is driven carrefully hoping not to draw attention. The last thing they want is damage to the car. They are often parked up in a multi storey car park or side street for a few days to check for Tracker detection.
Regarding warranty problems.
The Cobra system fitted by Audi is subject to the Audi warranty so shouldn't create worries regarding failure. However I think this one is even better as it is the one that police cars and helio can track directly.
https://www.trackerfit.co.uk/tracker-cat-5-plus.html
Protecting your car is expensive but paying for it depends on the price you put on peace of mind.

Reactions: RAF_S7 and AudiNutta
Already discounted for two reasons.

1. It's the latest cam that has the new suppressed front to rear connecting cable.
2. The problem is still there with the camera system turned off.

Also discounted any USB charger.

My dealer has been very good, but now Audi HQ have stepped in. So far garage has changed the following:
  • 5F headunit
  • Antenna cable front to rear
  • DAB antenna booster
  • Upgraded MMI software to latest release
Still totally random and intermittent DAB signal.

Garage then mapped a route where DAB failed and ran another S7 on the same route. DAB reception solid over the whole route. Ran my car again, random failures the whole route.

If DAB is set to swap to FM if DAB signal is lost, it changes over, but l loose volume control.

They now think it's a faulty rear antenna - which is built into the glass. At which point HQ tech support stepped in and demanded car returned to stock before any further work undertaken. Goes back in next week:scared2::racer:
When I bought my 2 channel BlackVue. In the small print from BlackVue themselves it says that their camera system can interfere with the DAB in car, mine was ok before I fitted it and after I had
Vw w few probs with the DAB, hope this helps, cheers Mark

I may well go with a tracker solution but need to investigate options. I don't doubt that after-market solutions like the TRACKER Cat 5 are superior to the one Audi use but I need to clarify the warranty situation as I'm not risking that. There's also the issue of what happens on a PCP deal if and when you return/trade-in the car. Will they complain if the tracker can't be removed?