Seeking Advice: What would you do if you were me?

VWNCC

Reaction score
Hi fellow 8V owners...

I have a 2015 A3 2.0TFSI quattro S-line saloon. However, I opted for the standard suspension and is now regretting it as it is kinda soft and the ride height is kinda awkward. I have narrowed down to 2 choices...what would you do if you were me?

1) Lower the car with the Eibach prokit spring + Bilstein B8 shocks (basically the B12 kit).

2) Trade into a 2017 S3 saloon.

The cost difference is roughly 10 folds. I don't really care for the extra power of the S3 as the A3 2.0TFSI with 220hp is more than sufficient for my use. However, I would have the peace of mind of a OEM sport suspension and would probably enjoy the nicer exhaust of the S3. Other than that, I don't get much else out of the S3, as my currrent car already has the S-line exterior and interior with FBSW.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Usman786
Keep your existing car and get springs, cat back exhaust and resonator delete, at max, additional $2k instead of a higher car payment and insurance for the S3.

I went with bilstein b16 ride control coil overs and the car now is a beast. Corners can be had with such confidence even on the stock tires. Also upgraded to USP down pipe, awe touring exhaust and jb1, and the car is faster than a stock s3. From 0-60 stock at about 5.9 to now 4.4 seconds. Quite significant change overall!

Reactions: pburv and Usman786
3 factors to consider which only you can answer
- how long do you intend to keep your current A3 - if you are looking to trade it anyway in the next 12-18 months then in my opinion, you would do better to trade it now for an S3
- by fitting the lowering kit you reduce your market when eventually you do want to trade it in. Unlikely dealers would be interested and you may have a reduced private market. Trade in price may be affected. But if you are keeping your car for at least another 24 months then difference would be negligible IMO.
- any warranty claims associated with the change would not be honoured by Audi for the remainder of the warranty period

So really it depends how long before you are looking to change your existing A3 IMO

Reactions: pburv and Usman786
Warranty will be honored, as I've had a bunch of service related issues. Depending on the dealer they will try and blame you/aftermarket parts if anything should arise but will have a hard time trying to prove those parts caused issue. Especially if u have the OEM resonator delete.

But as Hawkeye stated, it you plan on keeping the car, mod away, of not get rid of it asap as resale will be far better.

Thanks for all the response so far, please see my response to your question regarding how long I intend to keep the car:

If the lowering kit feels good, I'd probably keep the car for at least another 2 years (at least till the warranty runs out), if not till it retires. The risk is that, I am totally new to modding and as one can't really test drive the mod before doing the mod, it seems like gambling to me. If it works nicely, it is a much more economical and practical choice. However, if I don't like the mod, I'd be totally tempted to trade it in.

I have been debating this for a couple of months already and can't make up my mind...

One other option you have is to have the standard suspension legs replaced by the sport ones by your Audi dealer. That way you know what Sport suspension is like (you can test drive an A3 with it fitted) and maintain your warranty and trade-in value - seems a reasonable compromise?

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and chrisb72
Also see if any local people that have the springs will ley you ride in their vehicle to see what your getting yourself into. Most like their spring setup and helps the car feel more planted.

Being such new dampers , albeit standard I'd keep them, cut down the bumpstops and just go Pro kit .

Warranty will be honored, as I've had a bunch of service related issues. Depending on the dealer they will try and blame you/aftermarket parts if anything should arise but will have a hard time trying to prove those parts caused issue. Especially if u have the OEM resonator delete.

From my experience they don't need to prove anything to you, if they spot it they will just say caused by aftermarket part not fitted correctly and case closed. They won't even tell you which part most likely.

I'd test drive an S3 in anger on your typical roads to see if it gets eliminated from your enquiries. I love the S3 but, if your priority is a well sorted suspension, I doubt it is what you seek.

Hi fellow 8V owners...

I have a 2015 A3 2.0TFSI quattro S-line saloon. However, I opted for the standard suspension and is now regretting it as it is kinda soft and the ride height is kinda awkward. I have narrowed down to 2 choices...what would you do if you were me?

1) Lower the car with the Eibach prokit spring + Bilstein B8 shocks (basically the B12 kit).

2) Trade into a 2017 S3 saloon.

The cost difference is roughly 10 folds. I don't really care for the extra power of the S3 as the A3 2.0TFSI with 220hp is more than sufficient for my use. However, I would have the peace of mind of a OEM sport suspension and would probably enjoy the nicer exhaust of the S3. Other than that, I don't get much else out of the S3, as my currrent car already has the S-line exterior and interior with FBSW.

What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Mate check out the MSS Kits fully adjustable ride height. Remus or Milltek exhaust with a remap or Tunning box.

Reactions: rcnacura and pburv
One other option you have is to have the standard suspension legs replaced by the sport ones by your Audi dealer. That way you know what Sport suspension is like (you can test drive an A3 with it fitted) and maintain your warranty and trade-in value - seems a reasonable compromise?

I thought about this, but I can't justify paying so much for this. This will come out close to 4000 CAD whereas the Bilstein B12 is 2000 CAD. Trading into 2017 S3 is around 22000 CAD (my current car has 30000 km and is 2 years old).

Also, my local dealerships have stated that they do NOT do modifications like this, even if the parts are OEM parts. They simply won't do the work nor will there be warranty.

Last edited:
I'd test drive an S3 in anger on your typical roads to see if it gets eliminated from your enquiries. I love the S3 but, if your priority is a well sorted suspension, I doubt it is what you seek.

I did. I have tested both the standard S3 and the mag ride S3 in dynamic. Both are totally acceptable in terms of comfort. You can tell they are firmer, but definitely not harsh.

I feel so silly for not test driving before ordering my car. I just trusted the professional reviews recommending to de-select the sport suspension, I feel so stupid for believing such nonsense.

personally i wouldn't get an a3/s3 saloon, its just a mini a4, and the A4 to me just shouts out company car .... apologies to all those A4 drivers out there (granted new shape does look not too shabby)

Reactions: pburv
personally i wouldn't get an a3/s3 saloon, its just a mini a4, and the A4 to me just shouts out company car .... apologies to all those A4 drivers out there (granted new shape does look not too shabby)

There is no A3/S3 sportback in North America except for e-tron and I am not a hatch guy. I prefer sport saloon much more than a hot hatch. Regarding the A4, it is way way way way way too big for my taste.

Lol..Forget apologising to A4 owners....What about us A3 saloon owners.....:box:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and CHEZ
Trade it for an S3

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Lol..Forget apologising to A4 owners....What about us A3 saloon owners.....:box:
Haha you guys brought it on yourselves :playful: but seriously, Stirling audi have an s3 saloon in the showroom, very nice, red, with black and red leather seats ... Still wouldn't though like the hatch S3 too much :racer:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Haha you guys brought it on yourselves :playful: but seriously, Stirling audi have an s3 saloon in the showroom, very nice, red, with black and red leather seats ... Still wouldn't though like the hatch S3 too much :racer:
Each to their own...lol..........But the saloon looks so much better:rockwoot:

Reactions: Rob2k68
I did. I have tested both the standard S3 and the mag ride S3 in dynamic. Both are totally acceptable in terms of comfort. You can tell they are firmer, but definitely not harsh.

I feel so silly for not test driving before ordering my car. I just trusted the professional reviews recommending to de-select the sport suspension, I feel so stupid for believing such nonsense.

S3 it is then. The only thing I don't like about mine is the way the springs / shocks don't work with the chassis so well sometimes; they seem to move in opposite directions on rough surfaces if that makes any sense. On good roads though the balance is nice and in all other respects the car is a joy. And the extra power; you will use it more than you think. I've never enjoyed overtaking quite so much.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68