Self inflicted clutch problem,,, help please

S3 Hilife

It's an addiction
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all, whilst doing some work in the engine bay today I decided to fit an ECS clutch bleeder valve which had been in my garage for a while. This should have taken just a few minutes to fit but when bleeding afterwards it must have sucked in a massive amount of air, pedal went flat to floor with no resistance or return (as you would expect)

After trying to bleed for hours with no progress I switched back to original part and spent hours more bleeding with the two man meathod so the bleed screw is only open when positive pressure is applied. I've been taking 100ml out at a time and then replacing it with fresh back to the reservoir.

Have I been doing something stupid here although its no different to how I've done it before but there just seems to be an endless amount of air in the system .,,, Stumped

Any advice would be great, Thanks in advance

Steve

Have you tried with the ezee bleed kit?

Hi yes I use an EZ bleed but I must have put about 1.5L of fluid through from the master to the slave and still get lots of air. It just doesnt seem normal but where could the air be comming in? Could someone tell me where to locate the bleed screw on the master cylinder? Thanks

Steve

Give the clutch pedal a good pumping to shift the air around then bleed again

Thanks Lee I've tried that but it hasn't improved at all. I'm going to have a trip to Halfords soon to get a pressure bleeder and some more fluid, hope that sorts it.
Its amaizing how a simple 10 minute job can turn into such a headache, lol

Steve

Especially when there's no reason to mess but we just can't help our selves lol .... Never understood the need for ecs bleeder either

Yup, you're spot on there Lee. I think we just like to find things to do just to keep improving anything possible. It seemed like a good idea at the time, lol but it sat in the garage for months. Really wish I'd not bothered now.

The bleed nipples are on the MC under the fluid reservoir, their is two of them.

Access isn't that bad if you have an effective contraption, I used a 7mm spanner, bent the ring head so it was at a 90 degree angle to the the spanner shaft, then clamped mould grips to the open end of the spanner.

Made life a lot easier.

It has had a new clutch and slave fitted maybe 6-10 months ago. It was only when I went to bleed it after reconnecting the bleed valve the pedal sprung to the floor but yes this is my concern but surely what i've done shouldn't have damaged the slave cylinder should it?

Steve

It has had a new clutch and slave fitted maybe 6-10 months ago. It was only when I went to bleed it after reconnecting the bleed valve the pedal sprung to the floor but yes this is my concern but surely what i've done shouldn't have damaged the slave cylinder should it?

Steve
I fitted a brand new Sachs slave and it happened whilst bleeding. It is a possibility.
I'd have thought with all you bleeding efforts you would at least have SOME pedal

I know, I think your right mate. I'm going to give it one last go after I finally get a lift to Halfords to get a pressure bleeder.
Thanks

Sometimes my stupidity amazes me, hehe. Turns out the 'O' ring on the right of the bleed valve had somehow disappeared but it was only obvious when it was pressurised and also with the pedal pressed. Fitted new 'O' ring and now all is good.
ccb0b7d9852d3ebc278fc999fb450cb2.jpg

I will now happily accept any verbal abuse for being a Tw@t, lol

Steve

Reactions: superkarl
Your a tw@t lol only joking mate that defo explains it tho all that and still got the part you had at the begining? Days like that annoy the life out of me so I feel for you

Reactions: S3 Hilife