Self inflicted problems on my A3 1.6 Tdi S Line

lakers1234

Reaction score
Hi there

My 2013 8P Shape 1.6 tdi CAY Engine - has 67k miles

A week ago I noticed upon starting it for the first time on any day, for the first 5 minutes, the car would shake on idle, after 5 minutes, it would go away and the car would be faultless from then on. The next morning, I did an injector test via the VCDS and realised injector 4 was a bit all over the place, going upto +2.99, for the first 5 minutes and then going below -/+ 1.8, anyway, muggins here thought that it would be a good idea to swap injector 3 and 4, and then code them up via vcds to see whether it was the injector at fault or something deeper.

Changed them over and then the car was running rough all the time, and I noticed a tapping noise now, when the car was under load, even when warmed up.

Changed Injector 3 and 4 back over, and now it was running rough all the time, so thinking I maybe should have left it in the first place, where it wasn't even noticeable after 5 minutes.... too late for that though

I then took injector 3 and 4 out again, cleaned them and put them back in, when tightening up the injector clamp bolt, I snapped it into the cylinder head, so had to take out all 4 injectors, removed the rail, and took the rocker cover off. Drilled into the middle of the snapped bolt, cleaned up all the metal shavings, making sure none went into the middle of the engine, and luckily got the broken bolt out.

Put everything back together, got a new bolt from the dealers and put it back in. Took the car for a drive, glow plug light flashing and car looses all power, I pull up and notice diesel all over the engine, all over the rocker cover and around the injectors etc.

What's gone wrong? Injector seals? Not tightened the bolt up enough? a further problem?

Thanks guys

P.S I still didn't get to the bottom of the car shaking on idle, and now theres a tapping noise, and the car sounds rough as heck, compared to how it did before I messed around with it

Find a good garage who know there way around diesels and let them try and sort out the problem , cause going by your post your having a torrid time

Find a good garage who know there way around diesels and let them try and sort out the problem , cause going by your post your having a torrid time

Yeah, it's going in on Wednesday. I feel that I've just ruined a completely perfect car which only had a minor idling issue for 5 minutes of the day :(

Yeah, it's going in on Wednesday. I feel that I've just ruined a completely perfect car which only had a minor idling issue for 5 minutes of the day :(
No point off beaten yourself up best to use it as a good learning curve and foot the bill and move on. Hope it works out a cheap fix and she makes a full recovery

No point off beaten yourself up best to use it as a good learning curve and foot the bill and move on. Hope it works out a cheap fix and she makes a full recovery

Thanks buddy

So the reason why it leaked diesel is because one of the fuel line pipes wasn't tightened completely I believe, because after taking them off, cleaning up all the diesel, and putting them all back on, it no longer leaked.

So I took it to the Garage. They advised me to take the injectors out again, clean them up and replace the seals. Which I did.

We measured the injectors on VCDS and they seem to be running fine.

The car still sounds a lot louder than it did before I messed around with the injectors and shakes a fair amount on idle, also a tapping noise from the engine, when its standstill and also under load at low speeds, Drives find when on a good run and whilst it's going.

No fault codes on VCDS at all, injector values seem good, just don't lmow what I have to get to do to get this car back to normal

It sounds like a 1995 diesel now, and the engine shakes quite a bit. I changed the oil on it a few days ago .

Sounds like it's misfiring too

Have you checked all the bushes cause these ware and when your turning over car the engine i would assume would move , the reason i mention this is because when i fitted a BCS exhaust i had to change out engine mount which i zm guessing is something to do with getting more push from exhaust which would make engine rattle abit.
Glad at least you have the leak sorted plus injectors , so made ask yhe guys who have started big builds as they might know better if worn bushings would do the rattling bit .

Have you checked all the bushes cause these ware and when your turning over car the engine i would assume would move , the reason i mention this is because when i fitted a BCS exhaust i had to change out engine mount which i zm guessing is something to do with getting more push from exhaust which would make engine rattle abit.
Glad at least you have the leak sorted plus injectors , so made ask yhe guys who have started big builds as they might know better if worn bushings would do the rattling bit .

I haven't checked the bushes no. The injectors aren't sorted I don't think, I think they're worse than before

Here's a link to a video I made of the VCDS measuring the Injectors (This video was from before I touched them, and it shows you how the engine was from cold, but during the 5 minutes, how it significantly quietened down, and the values also dropped (Particularly Injector 4) As you can see, once it was warm, it wasn't too bad. Just me being too impatient I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmW...ature=youtu.be

And here's a video from today, from cold start, obviously after I've messed around removing and putting back in the original injectors :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VboV...ature=youtu.be

I haven't checked the bushes no. The injectors aren't sorted I don't think, I think they're worse than before

Here's a link to a video I made of the VCDS measuring the Injectors (This video was from before I touched them, and it shows you how the engine was from cold, but during the 5 minutes, how it significantly quietened down, and the values also dropped (Particularly Injector 4) As you can see, once it was warm, it wasn't too bad. Just me being too impatient I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmW...ature=youtu.be

And here's a video from today, from cold start, obviously after I've messed around removing and putting back in the original injectors :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VboV...ature=youtu.be
Being honest with you mate i ain't got the experience to really advise about what your problem could be , just trying to help elimate your rattling engine , again this could maybe timing chain loose or tensior thingy .
Best have a good look through posts and see if others have had ghe same problem ( audi-sport.net/tdi engine problems ) in google

Have done a little search on here and it might be worth seeing if this guy is still around @vag-tech and send him a PM explaining all step by step and what you have done to try sort it etc .