Selling advice

Without wishing to appear to be rude but there are other examples selling for less in Auto Trader so you car is competing with them, hence perhaps the lower offers...

Reactions: RSON19
IMHO your car with the spec is good value,
however there are quite a few 2.0 tdi for 18k i know the spec is nowhere near yours though.
excellent pictures even better than Audi dealers!
if you need another car have you looked at trading it in? obviously you will take a hit, worth asking you never know? especially if your buying new
maybe some people have £20k budget so when they are searching your car wont even come up

also when i was looking to buy my car, i never selected private seller to hand over 20k
fresh MOT?
just my thoughts

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally and RSON19
Amazing how trends can affect a perfectly nice car........the TDI badge may be the cause.Yes i know its ridiculous.

Reactions: RSON19
IMHO your car with the spec is good value, however there are quite a few 2.0 tdi for 18k i know the spec is nowhere near yours though.
some folk just want a diesel for economy and nothing else.
excellent pictures even better than Audi dealers!
if you need another car have you looked at trading it in? obviously you will take a hit, worth asking you never know? especially if your buying new

Thanks rasA4, I’m glad you think it represents good value. I guess as Cuke2u has said above, the car is competing against others on autotrader.

Mine is such a high spec and I’m hoping someone is willing to pay that big extra for a much loved and looked after example.

Took many attempts at getting decent images, the last thing I wanted was any photoshopping! ;)

Thanks rasA4, I’m glad you think it represents good value. I guess as Cuke2u has said above, the car is competing against others on autotrader.

Mine is such a high spec and I’m hoping someone is willing to pay that big extra for a much loved and looked after example.

Took many attempts at getting decent images, the last thing I wanted was any photoshopping! ;)
just edited my post have another look :)

Have to agree with cuke2u, it looks overpriced compared to a few others including quattros on there, also some cheaper for sale as Audi Approved. Under 20 might get a bit more interest and the right buyer may come along but could take some time. I tried selling mine at 1 year old and 4k miles on the clock with 4 years warranty and 3 services included, priced it as one of the lowest prices for the model and age and still couldn't sell it. If it had been an SUV, it would have gone straight away.

Reactions: cuke2u
I feel like I'm going to have the same problem as you with mine next year. Trade in price for mine is currently 18.5k. Looking at other examples that are similar to mine they're going for around 22-23k 2.0tdi Quattro.
It has 5k+ of extras which they won't take into account whilst trading in. When I put it on autotrader next year hopefully it will go quickly.

Good luck with your sale! Hopefully someone comes through quickly. Looks like it has been well look aftered.

Btw did you get a service book with yours? I never got one have been told it's all electronic now. I've put the papers they've given from its service somewhere, which I'll keep...

Sorry to hear that Richie - you have 2 levers at your disposal : marketing and price.

You have marketed it well (maybe you want to be more specific about when the warranty finishes and when the next service is, assuming this will be in your favour). Sadly options don't hold much value on the used market.

So you're left with price - it's only worth what a private punter will pay for it - so you need to use that lever, depending how much in a hurry you are - I would start by pricing it at £19,995 and lower the price every week (or more frequently if you're in a rush) by £500 until you get calls.

I assume the dealer would want to pay £15k, spend £500 on extended warranty, spend £800 on VAT on the gross profit of £4k if they sell at £19k, having stuck a plastic sign on the windscreen with £19,995 on it. Thats yields them £2,700 or so. Seems reasonable.

Otherwise try another dealer or WBAC (or the likes) and Evans Halshaw (they occasionally pay a bit more than WBAC) to do more price discovery.

Good luck !

Reactions: NevMan and h1r4
Cheers Nickfrog,

It’s a bit of a sticky wicket isn’t it and super frustrating. I think you’re right when you mentioned about being more specific. I’ll have a rethink in the morning and get some specifics down. It can only help!

H1r4, no mate....I don’t have a service book either. I’ve gone down the same trail of thought as you and documented all receipts from any servicing, even as far as receipts for recall work, tyres etc. I do prefer a physical service book over this new electronic version.

Just seen this and as per above I think your car is around £2k too expensive. It’s not priced to sell, its priced to try and recoup as much for the options as possible but the secondhand market for a 2.0 TDI is driven by price and mileage - options are a bonus.

It will take you much longer to sell at the current price as the market for the kind of buyer you seek is very small. The two major weaknesses in the car, in my eyes, is that it’s diesel (unfashionable at present) and it doesn’t have full leather which is something that those happy paying a premium would generally look for in my experience. I reckon around £19k is what you’ll see it go for in the end.

Reactions: NevMan
I know this is slightly off tangent but when I was attempting to sell my m135 on autotrader I had no bites at what I thought was a fair price. I ended up doing a px deal at basically the price I wanted at an audi dealer. I assumed I could have had a bit knocked off the audi I wanted if I paid in cash but to be fair to the audi dealer he originally offered me a £1500 less than what I wanted for my bmw but we reached a deal where I got my sale price and I paid what he wanted the s4 I bought . It's hard work selling a £20000 car privately . I would never buy a £20000 car from a private seller

It would appear that although options are dead money when PX'ing, too many options can also have an adverse affect with private sales too.
When looking at a high spec car on autorader I can probably do without half the options on a given car, making me look for a more competitively priced one. It's certainly a dilemma when building a new car.

Cheers Nickfrog,

It’s a bit of a sticky wicket isn’t it and super frustrating. I think you’re right when you mentioned about being more specific. I’ll have a rethink in the morning and get some specifics down. It can only help!

H1r4, no mate....I don’t have a service book either. I’ve gone down the same trail of thought as you and documented all receipts from any servicing, even as far as receipts for recall work, tyres etc. I do prefer a physical service book over this new electronic version.
If MyAudi worked in the manner it should do then screenprints could be taken from the relevent pages. Have you tried asking your dealership to print off what they've got?

I believe you are entitled to ask for a print out of all the work done.

When I got my car in 2014 I asked for a paper service book too. The dealer stamps this for me as well as recording the electronic service record. I also have all the invoices.

Reactions: cuke2u and NevMan
I know this is slightly off tangent but when I was attempting to sell my m135 on autotrader I had no bites at what I thought was a fair price. I ended up doing a px deal at basically the price I wanted at an audi dealer. I assumed I could have had a bit knocked off the audi I wanted if I paid in cash but to be fair to the audi dealer he originally offered me a £1500 less than what I wanted for my bmw but we reached a deal where I got my sale price and I paid what he wanted the s4 I bought . It's hard work selling a £20000 car privately . I would never buy a £20000 car from a private seller

I've bought cars at that value from a private seller before but like you, I've had poor experiences selling. It's just not worth the hassle in my eyes. WBAC or trade-in is generally what I go for these days.

I am the opposite - I always sell privately £15k-£25k - the market has cleaned up massively over the past few years. The vast majority of buyers buy fron the trade and the majority of sellers sell to the trade / WBAC - which leaves a small hardcore group of weirdos like me who insist on buying privately, but there aren't many time wasters anymore and we all seem to be in the same spirit. Obviously you need to market well and price well but there is still a comfortable price difference for what is about 1 day of work. £1k to £1.5k for 1 days work is OK for me, I don't make that in a day, sadly.

Cheers Nickfrog,

No worries Richie - be patient, it will sell.

That's not going to help you much but sometimes leasing can be cheaper than buying and it removes all that selling hassle (but probably adds other limitations too) - I am paying £3k/year total for the 1.4 S-Line Estate for instance, although I have zero options and no power LOL. But the point is I am confident that's a little less than retail depreciation and it's also worth around £40/month of saved opportunity cost on the capital at 2% (typical mortgage rate), so in effect it's around £210/month all told.

Personally, I'd treat the WBAC price (have you done this?) as the value of the car (painful though that may be) and if you can get a bit more, great. If someone is going out to spend £20k on an Audi, they (and nor would you) aren't going to be looking at cars that're up for £20k. You'd be looking at £23/24k cars and haggling.

I found that using WBAC and negotiating the deal I wanted with the dealer on the next car as a cash buyer, worked a treat because it's a clean deal. P/x is always "woolly" because they mess around with wrapping the new car discount into making you feel good about their generous p/x offer.

Also, WBAC, when they actually see the car, will more often than not pay more than the website suggests.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Evening all

I’m at the dreaded stage of selling my B9.

I’ve had some ridiculous offers (£6k under advertised price) but now it’s gone a tad quiet. In my opinion it’s priced to sell.

Any ideas/tips how to sell quickly?

FYI it’s currently on Autotrader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808249831399
On a different note @Richie88 , what's your replacement going to be ? will you be a little less indulgent on the options ? Good luck with the sell mate.

Couple of points:

I think it may be slightly over-priced, I got my June 2016 16plate Sport (same engine as yours) with 16k miles on from a car supermarket this year, Ok only a Sport, but similar level of options as yours:

Full Leather

Heated Seats, Fully electric, including memory for drivers side

Audi phonebox

Virtual cockpit

Hard-drive MMI

And many more…for £18.5k. So newer, 10k less miles than yours, from a larger organisation.

As a buyer, as said, I just wouldn’t spend 20k on a private seller car. Also, most buyers need/use some kind of finance these days, especially for something so expensive, you can’t offer this like a dealer can, you also can’t take their part ex for them.
You also won't offer any kind of warranty like a dealer will, Ok it's still under manufacturers warranty, but if I get it home and find out it's been crash damaged etc, then I'm on own. and lost 20k

I’m surprised anything over £1k cash sells privately anymore for these reasons.

As a buyer, as said, I just wouldn’t spend 20k on a private seller car. Also, most buyers need/use some kind of finance these days, especially for something so expensive, you can’t offer this like a dealer can, you also can’t take their part ex for them.
You also won't offer any kind of warranty like a dealer will, Ok it's still under manufacturers warranty, but if I get it home and find out it's been crash damaged etc, then I'm on own. and lost 20k
I’m surprised anything over £1k cash sells privately anymore for these reasons.

I don't understand this bit - plenty of people still prefer or don't mind buying privately and for a number of reasons - at the end of the day you don't need hundreds of buyers, just one or two will do. Plenty of people have cash or prefer to borrow from a bank rather than at the high captive rates of the dealer. As you say with a car under 3 years, warranty not an issue but even beyond that you rely on goodwill as the "warranty" is usually worthless and enforcing SOGA is tricky at best. The saving can be significant too and crucially provenance and due diligence often far easier.