Service interval display

ElSpoooel

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope this is the right place for me to post this.

I recently serviced my A4 myself and I’m having trouble resetting the interval time.

I bought a VAG reset tool from eBay and wondered if anybody had any experience with this particular unit as there’s no instructions (typical)!

To me it looks like there might be a plug or something missing off one end of the cable as I can’t see where the three wires can connect.

Ive also tried plugging the box directly into the ODB socket, turning the ignition on and leaving it but the light just sits blinking slowly at me for ages. Maybe I’m not leaving it in long enough!!

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be wicked.

Big thanks in advance
FCBE7FCA F552 4823 870C B264F26472B5

Get the carista app and dongle then you can reset service interval.

Reactions: kronny and ElSpoooel
Check on VCDS thread to see if there's a VCDS owner near you, someone on there will reset it for you.

Or, buy carista as Ian suggests.

JG

Reactions: ElSpoooel
Check on VCDS thread to see if there's a VCDS owner near you, someone on there will reset it for you.

Or, buy carista as Ian suggests.

JG

Cheers for that, I’ll have a look through tomorrow and see what I can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS5 JON
Surely you should be able to use that tool, what is written on the plug in part, ie dongle that is shown in the carry case? Is that extra socket with flying leads not just a cheap extension?

Surely you should be able to use that tool, what is written on the plug in part, ie dongle that is shown in the carry case? Is that extra socket with flying leads not just a cheap extension?

I have tried following the instructions on the dongle and plugging it straight into the ODB socket and it just blinks away slowly. I’m not sure how long it’s supposed to take in all fairness.
I emailed the seller and he says he doesn’t have a clue how it works either. He said google it! Like I hadn’t already tried that!!
I’m not sure what the cables for, one end does fit in the dongle but I can’t see where the three wires would go.

Out of interest, I looked up that company but could not find an instruction book on that service reset kit, though I did not know its model number.
So that means that what you have is crap, return to seller, if you really need a service reset tool and nothing more, I bumped into one for about £13 while looking for the instructions for your KAL EQUIP one. Or maybe you are thinking "once bitten twice shy"?

Out of interest, I looked up that company but could not find an instruction book on that service reset kit, though I did not know its model number.
So that means that what you have is ****, return to seller, if you really need a service reset tool and nothing more, I bumped into one for about £13 while looking for the instructions for your KAL EQUIP one. Or maybe you are thinking "once bitten twice shy"?

I must admit I did have a feeling it was probably a dud. It’s strange the seller doesn’t even know how to use it either which strikes me as a bit fishy.
I think I will send it back to him and get my money back then like you say order a brand new one so I know it works.
Thanks for your help

As I said before, save your money and get Carista, works a treat.

The strange thing is, that company seems to exist and has some pdfs on their site, but no mention of this type of device, very annoying and strange. If going for the Carista option you might find genuine Carista dongles being sold off on Amazon, I grabbed one so that I could leave one in each car, the sell-off price was peanuts, though you still need to buy a month's full access, I think to get the app, after that month is up it will still work for certain functions, maybe check what works after the initial month without paying any more. I am one of the fortunate people that "got in" early so have better privileges! If you want nothing but service reset, maybe the cheaper tool for that and nothing more is for you, though the extended VW Group fault code revealing of Carista could save you money in the future as with all VW Group products, it is a case of when not if the next fault code appears - though my 2000 B5 Passat never ever logged any faults over its 13 years with me, excepting normal AC flap motors, same with my 2011 S4 - so far not even AC flap motor faults. My wife's 2002 VW Polo did justify having a scan tool over the 13 years she owned it and her current 2015 VW Polo likes to push out the rogue fault code like compressor control, or maybe real fault code for media player On/Off switch malfunction. Your motoring Mission Statement should be "have VW Group car - must have scan tool".

The strange thing is, that company seems to exist and has some pdfs on their site, but no mention of this type of device, very annoying and strange. If going for the Carista option you might find genuine Carista dongles being sold off on Amazon, I grabbed one so that I could leave one in each car, the sell-off price was peanuts, though you still need to buy a month's full access, I think to get the app, after that month is up it will still work for certain functions, maybe check what works after the initial month without paying any more. I am one of the fortunate people that "got in" early so have better privileges! If you want nothing but service reset, maybe the cheaper tool for that and nothing more is for you, though the extended VW Group fault code revealing of Carista could save you money in the future as with all VW Group products, it is a case of when not if the next fault code appears - though my 2000 B5 Passat never ever logged any faults over its 13 years with me, excepting normal AC flap motors, same with my 2011 S4 - so far not even AC flap motor faults. My wife's 2002 VW Polo did justify having a scan tool over the 13 years she owned it and her current 2015 VW Polo likes to push out the rogue fault code like compressor control, or maybe real fault code for media player On/Off switch malfunction. Your motoring Mission Statement should be "have VW Group car - must have scan tool".

I bough a Carista in the end, it only cost £13 and it worked a treat. It came with a free one month trial so I could clear the service indicator and check for any other faults. The only one it flagged was the Aux cable for the stereo funnily enough.
I don’t mind paying the yearly subscription if I can find faults and clear service lights myself rather than paying audi for the privilege.
Thanks for all your help with this.
Oh and I got my money back from the guy off eBay for the one we couldn’t find any info about.
Well happy

Reactions: RS5 JON