Service Intervals - Fixed/Variable.

Ron240

Breaking the stereotype
Reaction score
My car is currently 6 weeks old and done exactly 666 miles. :smilingimp:
I was looking at my mmi and it looks like I am on the variable schedule. I only do around 6000 miles a year so I reckon I should be on fixed. Plus I have a free first service so would rather it was a full one and not just an oil change.
Would there be any negative consequences of having my oil change done by a highly trusted independent using approved oil and filter, then resetting in the mmi and having my inspection service done by Audi as my free service?
20180714 180059

20180714 180931

If you were on variable the time to oil change would be much higher after only 666 miles, it's already set to fixed schedule. I would talk to your dealer to clarify what free service they will do.

If you were on variable the time to oil change would be much higher after only 666 miles, it's already set to fixed schedule.
Now that you mention it....could be.
I believe fixed is 9000 miles or 1 year, but will still be way off in days according to above display.
Free service is first one only.....so whenever I take my car in for its first service. :)

I thought they were delivered with variable schedule and the dealer set them to fixed dependant on expected mileage. When did your car have it's PDI?

Now that you mention it....could be.
I believe fixed is 9000 miles or 1 year, but will still be way off in days according to above display.
Free service is first one only.....so whenever I take my car in for its first service. :)
No - fixed is 12 months. Recommended for less than 10K miles/annum.

Yes, they are set to variable by default. You have to request fixed.

Dot you have the PDI dated paperwork? I would guess it had done around Feb/March so that would be when the service clock started?
Would the dealer reset the dates to when you received the car.

No - fixed is 12 months. Recommended for less than 10K miles/annum.

Yes, they are set to variable by default. You have to request fixed.

Not true for all dealers. I specifically asked for the car to be on variable servicing on more than 1 occasion prior to delivery and it was set to fixed servicing.

Not true for all dealers. I specifically asked for the car to be on variable servicing on more than 1 occasion prior to delivery and it was set to fixed servicing.
Actually mine was the other way round - I asked for fixed but they omitted to change it from variable.
They just switched it at the first annual service.

Which is what I said, is it not?
Strictly speaking you said 12 months or 9K miles, but there is no mileage element.

Strictly speaking you said 12 months or 9K miles, but there is no mileage element.
There has to be a mileage element, there always is with all manufacturers service schedules, otherwise the car could cover a ridiculously high mileage in the time limit.
It's whichever comes first.

Reactions: Phutters