ShaneBe's S3 Build

Looks good Shane..............you can come and do mine now :)

Reactions: ShaneBe
Clean engine bay. I see you still have an orange oil dip stick.
I suggest you examine it thoroughly as the plastic components that get oily have a habit of cracking and then dropping into the sump.
The latest version is yellow but nobody has reported one of these breaking up.

Looks good Shane..............you can come and do mine now :)

Cheers mate :icon thumright::icon thumright:

Clean engine bay. I see you still have an orange oil dip stick.
I suggest you examine it thoroughly as the plastic components that get oily have a habit of cracking and then dropping into the sump.
The latest version is yellow but nobody has reported one of these breaking up.

Oh really? Thats really good to know i'll read into and change it!
thanks for the heads up!!

I'm currently looking into getting a black grille (I've never really been a fan of the chrome).

Do people just rub them down and respray them?
Or can these be bought?

(this is what I'm talking about)
Screenshot 20180529 111155 Samsung Internet

The S3 black edition had a black grill std. I would think most S3's were black edition anyway.

Oh sorry i didn't realise you were pre facelift.

Whilst I don’t want to be a kill joybut I don’t think there is an aftermarket grill for a prefacelift.
I would nor recommend spraying either!
My son tried it on a set of fog light grills on his TTS and it did not atickbin spite of using a plastic primer. The chrome bits were the main problem even with rubbing down.

there are dozens of ways of stripping chrome from plastic, you grill is probably black under the chrome :)

I think most chromed plastic is actually an aluminium coating , in the model making world they use oven cleaner to remove it but i didnt just tell you to put oven cleaner on your grill :)

It shouldn't be a problem removing the chrome etc.

Are the black edition grilles matte or gloss?

Mine is quite shiny :) most hard plastics will polish with T cut

I wonder what an S3 would look like with a black grill and the Audi rings on the bonnet like a TT ?

Update:

So finally managed to get a revo intake which I fitted today.

I have to sat the fit on it is pretty horrendous, fiddly to fit and nothing seems to fit ha!

The cone touches the plastic from headlight and just seems like a terrible fit.

Any way managed to get it fitted and I have to say it does sound awesome and is needed for the remap.

20180531 170640
20180531 170654

Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the standard s3 engine cover? or is this the reason why everyone is running the tts one?

Reactions: samuelh_888
Yep the fit is horrendous. Many run the Revo without the heat shield and I think I'll take mine off; it's the bolt on the left hand side which is the nuisance. Others have cut 1 inch off the end of the intake tube to bring the cone back from the head light.

TTS is the best way to cover up the engine.

Yep the fit is horrendous. Many run the Revo without the heat shield and I think I'll take mine off; it's the bolt on the left hand side which is the nuisance. Others have cut 1 inch off the end of the intake tube to bring the cone back from the head light.

TTS is the best way to cover up the engine.

Yeah I was really suprised with how bad it was.

That's a good idea!

Yeah TTS cover is a must now as i have to say these are probably the ugliest looking engines ever haha!

This is why i paid extra for the VWR intake
You can cut the std cover to fit, quite a bit of work but cheaper than a TTS cover.

sorry crap pictures but photoed from a magazine...

Attachments

• IMG_20180411_094254.jpg
    IMG_20180411_094254.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20180411_105847.jpg
    IMG_20180411_105847.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 99
See my photo earlier on in this thread to show how I avoided the Revo filter rubbing on the headlight!

I'm currently looking into getting a black grille (I've never really been a fan of the chrome).

Do people just rub them down and respray them?
Or can these be bought?

(this is what I'm talking about)
View attachment 156525

Ive just purchased a genuine black grill for my s3 (prefacelift) you can get them but they're not cheap!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1525844274663.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525844274663.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: paddy
Small little update:

Gave the car a nice detail this weekend, the only problem now is you can see it is full of stone chips :frown new:

and also picked up from some wind deflectors, I think the reason I bought these was i will always have love for japenese cars :glee:. Saying all that I really think it completes the car!

20180613 193434
20180613 193441

Looking at some coilovers next as I found out these weekend i have a broken spring. Just can't seem to find any for sale (if anyone sees any bilstein or anything comparable) please drop me a message as i am on the hunt for a set!

Small little update:

Gave the car a nice detail this weekend, the only problem now is you can see it is full of stone chips :frown new:

and also picked up from some wind deflectors, I think the reason I bought these was i will always have love for japenese cars :glee:. Saying all that I really think it completes the car!

View attachment 157934 View attachment 157935

Looking at some coilovers next as I found out these weekend i have a broken spring. Just can't seem to find any for sale (if anyone sees any bilstein or anything comparable) please drop me a message as i am on the hunt for a set!

Jeez, didn’t think you could still get wind deflectors anymore ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk