Sheared Bolts on Engine Mount (IN NEED OF ADVISE PLEASE!!!)

speegy360

Reaction score
Hi, ive got a 2006 S3 8P and saturday just gone i went over a mountain of a speed bump and car devloped a pretty nasty rattle and above 20mph there was a very heavy vibration which i thought was initially from the gearbox/transfer box.

Got the car into a garage and they just told me that the the engine mount (cambelt side) has two of the bolts going into the block missing! and the last one finally had enough and sheard leaving part of the bolt in the block.

They've said they dont want to touch it as the job is too involved and he think the engine requires removing to get to the stud to extract it. He has 'mate' with another garage who will take and do it for around £500-£800!!! which i personally think is rediculous!

Does anyone have any advise? has any ever gone throught this? or enyone know how hard it is to change this mount in situe?

Any advise will be very helpful!

thanks!

WTF?
Id replace the two missing bolts and leave broken one in the block.

If you remove the mount bracket it might be possible to remove the bolt, it shouldn't be tight to extract since it's not under tension and the threads are generally quite clean (and perhaps how the other two have vibrated out?).

As above, unless we're missing something, putting two bolts back in should suffice for now, although 3 bolts is much more than 50% stronger than 2...

Cheers for the replies, just been speaking with the garage mechanic that had a look and he said its the mount bracket (the one that tucks behind the cam belt). Good shout about fitting the two missing ones and forget the sheard one though!

If you do want to remove the sheared bolt I had all 3 go on my gearbox mount and used the following method to get it out; I soaked the bolts in release oil the day before. I then blow torched them a little (low heat), release oil again, then I put a washer over the remains of each bolt then welded that to the bolt. Then I welded a nut to the washer, unscrewed no problem on first attempt for all 3 bolts. It's MUCH easier than chancing an extractor, and like I said I had a 100% sucess rate, took about 15 mins.

Reactions: Outofreach and Niloc
cheers for the advise! the sheared bolt actually twisted it out with my fingers! :blink:

I couldn't believe it!

Nice one! Should be a nice simple fix. Like I said in my other post, the thread should be easy/free as they are generally nice and clean and since the head's sheared off it's not under tension so should just unscrew as long as you have enough thread sticking out to get at!

Does anybody know the size or name of the gear box mount bolt is for Audi A3 2001 1.8t . Thanks in advance :)