Shell v power vs bp optimax

Smirky

Reaction score
are both fine to run in a modded s3 ? The shell garage near me seems to constantly run out of v power and there are loads of bp garages near me

bp ultimate doesn't burn as well as shell vpower or tesco 99, only use the latter two.

Reactions: S3 AEX and Sayam
Here we go lol ... *Goes to get popcorn*

Reactions: TorqueTerrorist, Compkiler and LEE69
It doesn't it burns like sainsbury unleaded no room to advance the timing, from a tuner not just earsay

It doesn't it burns like sainsbury unleaded no room to advance the timing, from a tuner not just earsay

The various petrols burn at pretty much the same rate,but it's the RON number that counts,as that determines the onset of det.

That in turn dictates by how much you can advance timing,depending on IAT,boost,and fuelling.

Octane number or RON does not determine the flame front speed of petrol.

Last edited:
Reactions: S3 AEX
Ok it's a lower RON, BP ultimate as always been known as a fuel not to use, especially if you want the best possible from a map.

Don't no why but I could never put Tesco fuel in my car

I filled up with BP Ultimate once. My car didnt like it! A few months later I thought to myself that I would give it another chance, just incase I was imagining it. Same thing! Just didnt feel as strong through the gears and the car just didnt feel as good. Dont know why but I wont be using it again.

Reactions: LEE69 and Smirky
Without the benefit of WMI I would always stick to Momentum or VPower.

If I do get stuck I can use BP without problems.

Don't no why but I could never put Tesco fuel in my car

You don't know what you're missing.
At least Tesco sell Momentum in my town, Shell and BP both legged it many years ago.
But offered the choice, I would go for 99 RON Momentum and my clubcard points any day of the week.
There is nothing wrong with it. Go read the reviews.

:yes:

Reactions: Cmw9 and TorqueTerrorist
You don't know what you're missing.
At least Tesco sell Momentum in my town, Shell and BP both legged it many years ago.
But offered the choice, I would go for 99 RON Momentum and my clubcard points any day of the week.
There is nothing wrong with it. Go read the reviews.

:yes:
Will do, there's a huge telco on my way to work so much if I get desperate could be plan b

Reactions: Jake 61
Momentum is fine and I would only use that or v power!
V power is my first point of call tho!

Reactions: Jake 61 and Smirky
Just think if this were a discussion on a Volvo website, we'd be talking about the price of fuel...

"Guess how much I paid per litre of fuel?"

Haha

Sounds like some people treat their cars like spoilt children. If it's mapped for higher quality fuel and you use it you'll see/feel such negligible deference between most of the higher octane rated fuel.

It's when you rock up running on fumes and they are all out, and you have to bang a tenners worth of poverty spec fuel in to get you to the next garage...then you can feel the difference

Reactions: LEE69 and Jake 61
Just think if this were a discussion on a Volvo website, we'd be talking about the price of fuel...

"Guess how much I paid per litre of fuel?"

Haha

Sounds like some people treat their cars like spoilt children. If it's mapped for higher quality fuel and you use it you'll see/feel such negligible deference between most of the higher octane rated fuel.

It's when you rock up running on fumes and they are all out, and you have to bang a tenners worth of poverty spec fuel in to get you to the next garage...then you can feel the difference
And it's embarrassing...

Reactions: Jake 61 and Smirky
I only ever use tesco 99, its cheaper than v power and just as good imo. Bp ultimate has a lower octane rating than the other 2.

Reactions: LEE69 and Jake 61