Shell V-Power vs Tesco Momentum

If you're looking for an mpg or performance improvement I found none on a standard car.

My S4 thread

Reactions: Duggy72, Stu2w, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
i haven't even bothered trying in the S4 as its mapped to give the stated performance / mpg (ahem) using standard 95 RON fuel. However my previous 2.0T's in a mk5 GTI and an 8P S3 delivered the stated performance etc using 98, so thats what they got. Occasionally I ran 95 and I didn't notice any difference in MPG, but they didn't feel quite as sharp as they did on 98.

I noticed no difference whatsoever between Tesco and Shell fuels.

The difference was very minor. Check the fuel flap and just put in what it says there - unless you've had it mapped and they've recommended the grade of fuel to use.

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant
Was looking to see what was overall better for the maintenance of the engine as I'm sure performance is ok. Getting remap at MRC so would like to find out which is the better. Have read many conflicting things but v power seems to always come out on top even though everyone was saying tesco use ethanol and v power don't but apparently v power do now?

MRC recommend momentum and say they get better results on it. But whatever is easiest and most readily available is what usually swings people 1 way or the other

Reactions: John@ECM-TECH and Kevin S4 Avant
MRC recommend momentum and say they get better results on it. But whatever is easiest and most readily available is what usually swings people 1 way or the other
Well looking at the way the price of petrol is rising lately I've gotta say it's the shell drivers club points or the tesco club card points!!!

Virtually always use Momentum,on the odd occasion I have used Vpower my MPG has been worse for some reason

Always used T99 mostly with a slurp of Shell now and then. I'd be interested to hear if it gets any performance gains as it costs substantially more than the 95 Ron stuff!

TX.

tesco is the best I can get an extra few degrees advance with it. e95 tho prob why.

Always used T99 mostly with a slurp of Shell now and then. I'd be interested to hear if it gets any performance gains as it costs substantially more than the 95 Ron stuff!

TX.
I mapped a car that I was told had 98 shell, nope, 95, result -13 degrees ignition pull. The owner never believed it until he filled ran it and it knocked out 365 bhp, now he's a believer!

Reactions: skiptowncat
SHELL V Power in my S3 & in my last 3 GTI's. As stated on filler cap & as SHELL is my local station.

I mapped a car that I was told had 98 shell, nope, 95, result -13 degrees ignition pull. The owner never believed it until he filled ran it and it knocked out 365 bhp, now he's a believer!
I had similar with someone unsing BP ultimate. Was getting 5+ ****** which disappeared once momentum was used.
If the car isn't tuned for it though, it makes little difference

Do that on a tuned car and probably see 30-40bhp increases between the different fuels. The test was flawed and didnt take into account a lot of other things.

I knew a guy a couple of years back who worked in the Shell fuel labs (something to do with verifying F1 fuel since it had to be from a regular pump... never knew that!) and he told me some interesting facts about "supermarket fuel"

Without going into the vastly complicated cracking process no all fuel is created equal. Obviously the fuel companies keep the top quality stuff for themselves, the supermarkets take the slightly lower stuff and apparently Morrisons always take the junk that no one else wants haha

The likes of BP Ultimate and VPower are mixed as part of the process, then loaded onto a tanker

Supermarket fuel - in particular Tesco 99 - is added after and by the tanker, so there's a chance of inconstancy there and it relies on the tanker sloshing about on the road to mix it.

When they tested samples of fuel some of Tesco 99 made well under that figure... so if you're running a high performance car it's really not worth the risk.

Also as an added bonus Shell VPower diesel has a freezing point about 8 degrees lower than regular Diesel, so during that -11 super freeze Scotland had a few years back my cars were both starting fine when the neighbors were spending upwards of 20 mins trying to get their Tesco powered cars started. The fuel wasn't frozen, but when diesel gets cold it gets thicker. Strange but handy to know!

Another thing that test didn;t take into account - the car will "learn" what fuel it is using, so should get better the more tanks you put through it

Reactions: Meemo and Bristle Hound
I had replied thinking it was the comparison with Tesco 99 - who sponsor Jason Potato in the BTCC, so it was a little bias

but it wasn't that video, so I edited to a slightly more educational answer :blink:

Ahhh, haha. Thought my head must have been playing tricks on me.

Ive used momentum for all my tuned 1.8T's and never been anything wrong with it....comparable to vpower and less cost.

I knew a guy a couple of years back who worked in the Shell fuel labs (something to do with verifying F1 fuel since it had to be from a regular pump... never knew that!) and he told me some interesting facts about "supermarket fuel"

Without going into the vastly complicated cracking process no all fuel is created equal. Obviously the fuel companies keep the top quality stuff for themselves, the supermarkets take the slightly lower stuff and apparently Morrisons always take the junk that no one else wants haha

The likes of BP Ultimate and VPower are mixed as part of the process, then loaded onto a tanker

Supermarket fuel - in particular Tesco 99 - is added after and by the tanker, so there's a chance of inconstancy there and it relies on the tanker sloshing about on the road to mix it.

When they tested samples of fuel some of Tesco 99 made well under that figure... so if you're running a high performance car it's really not worth the risk.

Also as an added bonus Shell VPower diesel has a freezing point about 8 degrees lower than regular Diesel, so during that -11 super freeze Scotland had a few years back my cars were both starting fine when the neighbors were spending upwards of 20 mins trying to get their Tesco powered cars started. The fuel wasn't frozen, but when diesel gets cold it gets thicker. Strange but handy to know!

Another thing that test didn;t take into account - the car will "learn" what fuel it is using, so should get better the more tanks you put through it

The car will adjust fuel trims due to ethanol content as it burns richer at 9:1 afr rather than 14.7.
But the car runs a set timing table based on load v rpm. After a certain amount of consistent timing ****** SOME ecu's will switch to an abnormal timing table which will drastically reduce power. In that time the engine is detonating and causing damage.

Go and log a car tuned to the edge on tesco 99 or vpower and put ultimate or esso super and see what happens.

I agree tesco relies on a higher ethanol content to make the required ron figure, but go and look at the yanks who run E85 (85% ethanol) and can make an extra 30-40 bhp.

I have logged and tuned quite a few vehicles and the results are consistent, more timing and more power with either momentum or vpower.Unless you are tuned for it though, it makes no difference.

The rest of your "my mate said" post is pure conjecture.

Reactions: xpoweruk
I try and run my S6 on Vpower constantly now wheres the B7 S4 I used to alternate between regular and Vpower depending on price

I try and run my S6 on Vpower constantly now wheres the B7 S4 I used to alternate between regular and Vpower depending on price
It says on my S4 2010 filler cap premium 95 Ron? But our premium is 99 isn't it? I have been running it on v power since I got it but if I start putting standard shell unleaded in it will it make a difference or theoretically would it run worse than v-power or could it actually run better on the normal stuff? I thought an S4 engine would be equips for the higher octane?

My S6 has both 95 and 98 on the filler cap. Which it will happily run both with a 10-12bhp difference in performance between the two according to my handbook. which in gross terms is barely noticeable if at all. and V power is 99. The engine is still young really in mileage terms which is why Im on ly using v power atm.
Your S4 will take both quite happily too with perhaps the same difference in power if any. Personally id run an S/RS on V power most of the time and use 95 if you have to. I don't think youd notice much difference but obv V power has all the engine cleaning stuff in alongside abit better performance, or so they claim lol

My S6 has both 95 and 98 on the filler cap. Which it will happily run both with a 10-12bhp difference in performance between the two according to my handbook. which in gross terms is barely noticeable if at all. and V power is 99. The engine is still young really in mileage terms which is why Im on ly using v power atm.
Your S4 will take both quite happily too with perhaps the same difference in power if any. Personally id run an S/RS on V power most of the time and use 95 if you have to. I don't think youd notice much difference but obv V power has all the engine cleaning stuff in alongside abit better performance, or so they claim lol
Right it says in my manual/filler cap that engine should run on premium (95 Ron) is recommended but if not available then regular petrol at 91 Ron can be used but is not advised and can cause slight loss of power. So our premium is above 95 Ron in England and standard is 95 Ron so will it benefit me at all using V power? Is it telling me that premium should be used or that any petrol that is 95 Ron is the recommended? And would there be any advantages to using V-power? What I'm trying to say is that will my engine run any better on V power or am I wasting my money or does it actually run better on the normal stuff or exactly the same? V power wouldn't make my engine run worse? Thanks :help:

Right it says in my manual/filler cap that engine should run on premium (95 Ron) is recommended but if not available then regular petrol at 91 Ron can be used but is not advised and can cause slight loss of power. So our premium is above 95 Ron in England and standard is 95 Ron so will it benefit me at all using V power? Is it telling me that premium should be used or that any petrol that is 95 Ron is the recommended? And would there be any advantages to using V-power? What I'm trying to say is that will my engine run any better on V power or am I wasting my money or does it actually run better on the normal stuff or exactly the same? V power wouldn't make my engine run worse? Thanks :help:

Im specifically talking about Shell fuels here. 95 Ron is standard unleaded with Shell, V power is 99. I have no idea what Tesco is as id never use that in an S4 or S6 or anything S/RS what so ever. As far is I can see there would be no disadvantage of using V Power at all, advantage wise is what it claims of being an engine cleaner and giving slightly more power overall. Basically don't put cheap Tesco **** in your S4!

Im specifically talking about Shell fuels here. 95 Ron is standard unleaded with Shell, V power is 99. I have no idea what Tesco is as id never use that in an S4 or S6 or anything S/RS what so ever. As far is I can see there would be no disadvantage of using V Power at all, advantage wise is what it claims of being an engine cleaner and giving slightly more power overall. Basically don't put cheap Tesco **** in your S4!
Thanks mate, wouldn't put tesco in it anyway but it's meant to be 99 Ron and a lot of people rave about it. I don't think anyone understands the point I'm trying to make other than you. I would class a 2.0 litre 200bhp a normal engine and was thinking that maybe being an S 3.0 litre supercharged tfsi 330bhp engine that it would benefit from V-Power. It's obviously just a normal standard engine by all accounts. Maybe next week when it goes in for its stage 1 remap at MRC to 440bhp I will be in the same league as the others and then can talk to them? Thanks for all your help.

3.0L TFSI S4 I would not class a normal engine! Normal is indeed like 1.6 - 2.0L bog standard non modified etc. I used to run my old A4 TFSI on normal grade unleaded. As soon as I went to the S4 I started using V power. Whilst im not actually an expert on fuels I just think these sorts of engines benefit from fuel that is known to be higher quality for clean/power reasons no matter how small a difference it makes, its a lot of difference in the long run for the engine.. You pay for what you get an all that.... theres a reason Morrison's is so cheap haha! The utter filth of low grade fuel that place.

3.0L TFSI S4 I would not class a normal engine! Normal is indeed like 1.6 - 2.0L bog standard non modified etc. I used to run my old A4 TFSI on normal grade unleaded. As soon as I went to the S4 I started using V power. Whilst im not actually an expert on fuels I just think these sorts of engines benefit from fuel that is known to be higher quality for clean/power reasons no matter how small a difference it makes, its a lot of difference in the long run for the engine.. You pay for what you get an all that.... theres a reason Morrison's is so cheap haha! The utter filth of low grade fuel that place.
I have run all my cars on V-power even my last A4 2.7tdi and got it to 84k miles with no problems. Just hoping the same for S4!!!

Reactions: Av4nt

If you can find any txt anywhere that specifies vpower as 99 Ron your a better man than me! She'll don't give a ron rating for it, they just sell it as their "premium". Tesco momentum is the only fuel readily available that is guaranteed 99ron. It's completely different to your normal cheap supermarket rubbish so don't write it off just because it says tesco on it! MRC, possibly the best Audi tuner in the uk recommend it over vpower and if you go on their fb page you'll find examples of cars on their rolling road that were not achieving the desired results on vpower, they drained and filled with momentum and managed a fair power increase. My car is standard engine wise but I hope to be in MRC soon and I know which fuel it will be running come remap time!

If you can find any txt anywhere that specifies vpower as 99 Ron your a better man than me! She'll don't give a ron rating for it, they just sell it as their "premium". Tesco momentum is the only fuel readily available that is guaranteed 99ron. It's completely different to your normal cheap supermarket rubbish so don't write it off just because it says tesco on it! MRC, possibly the best Audi tuner in the uk recommend it over vpower and if you go on their fb page you'll find examples of cars on their rolling road that were not achieving the desired results on vpower, they drained and filled with momentum and managed a fair power increase. My car is standard engine wise but I hope to be in MRC soon and I know which fuel it will be running come remap time!
Must be a better man than you because when you google it a shell page comes up with this??? Or maybe I'm wrong and mistaken and sincerely apologise. Also tesco is mixed with ether or something similar to make it up to 99 Ron whereas shell v-power isn't or certainly didn't use to be.

Reactions: Av4nt
Must be a better man than you because when you google it a shell page comes up with this??? Or maybe I'm wrong and mistaken and sincerely apologise. Also tesco is mixed with ether or something similar to make it up to 99 Ron whereas shell v-power isn't or certainly didn't use to be. View attachment 93048

Sorry, meant to say on shells website. You'll find plenty of other websites saying its 99 but shell themselves never say it and there's also never a ron rating on the pumps either. Surely if their product was 99 they'd advertise it as that. Momentum has ethanol added to make it upto 99

Despite us having the idea that all UK refined fuels are "refined higher up the stack" to achieve the 98/99/etc RON ratings, I'm guessing that now that a 3rd party own and operate all the refinaries, and not the oil companies, that the bunging in of a heap of cheaper Ethanol is what everyone is doing these days - just a guess though, as everyone knows, Tesco at least buy their fuel "ready to use" from Rotterdam from the open market, so that means who ever is bids lowest for their business that day/hour!

Maybe youve only just discovered shell fuels RyanJonS4 lol...stop using tesco and you might learn a few things

Reactions: James_TDi and Kevin S4 Avant