Shell V-Power vs Tesco Momentum

Maybe youve only just discovered shell fuels RyanJonS4 lol...stop using tesco and you might learn a few things

If only ....I've run my b6 s4 off optimax then vpower for the last 9 years and should probably have shares in shell the amount it's drunk in that time! I've now owned my b8.5 along side my b6 for 9 months. My b6 seems to like the tesco "crap" better than shell and runs smoother. The top Audi tuner in the uk recommends momentum over vpower for the 3.0 supercharged engine so I've made an informed decision to run my b8.5 on it through recommendation, rather than uninformed internet hearsay.

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant
If only ....I've run my b6 s4 off optimax then vpower for the last 9 years and should probably have shares in shell the amount it's drunk in that time! I've now owned my b8.5 along side my b6 for 9 months. My b6 seems to like the tesco "****" better than shell and runs smoother. The top Audi tuner in the uk recommends momentum over vpower for the 3.0 supercharged engine so I've made an informed decision to run my b8.5 on it through recommendation, rather than uninformed internet hearsay.

If they recommend that for the 3.0 then fair enough. I wouldn't have thought the Shell website itself is uninformed internet hearsay however either

If they recommend that for the 3.0 then fair enough. I wouldn't have thought the Shell website itself is uninformed internet hearsay however either
I can't see how tesco fuel can be recommended for an S4??? I have tried both now and it's probably all I'm my head but my car seems to run like a dream on v power and there is something not quite the same with tesco, probably just all in my head like I said lol. Anyway let's just get down to this quick, just want to make a few pointers. Firstly what fuel do Audi use when they design the engines and test the cars??? I'm betting it's not tesco momentum!!! Haha :p I'll give you a quick hint, they've got a big shell on their logo!!!! Hahahahaha :p :p :p

Last edited:
If only ....I've run my b6 s4 off optimax then vpower for the last 9 years and should probably have shares in shell the amount it's drunk in that time! I've now owned my b8.5 along side my b6 for 9 months. My b6 seems to like the tesco "****" better than shell and runs smoother. The top Audi tuner in the uk recommends momentum over vpower for the 3.0 supercharged engine so I've made an informed decision to run my b8.5 on it through recommendation, rather than uninformed internet hearsay.
I know MRC are good, but they are only looking at performance figures and not the overall general welfare of your engine. I would like to see the difference in the figures between shell and tesco on one of their S4 remaps. Do you think it's going to be that much difference? And who's engine is going to be running still over 100k with less problems and less carbon build up??? Anyway mate, each to their own but I'm more inclined to stick with the big time scientists that shell and Audi use when designing these engines with shell V-power fuel ;) thanks for all your input mate :)

In pretty sure everytime I fly out of the country that a big percentage of the planes are being fuelled up by shell tankers, I'm yet to see them filling them up with tesco!!! I think that probably says it all!!! Everyone wants to save money so why don't they use tesco momentum! Haha (that was a joke by the way ;) )

I run my RS Clio on momo (Tesco Momentum 99) it was mapped on that, it makes the best power, car runs the best and is the most economical on it

Tried it in the S4 and it seemed to just drink it, but it did make 361bhp standard on fairly accurate rollers, but i will be getting it mapped on 99 to see what happens, higher octane the better in my opinion

Read: any comments of personal experience or evidence greatly dismissed
Yeah but when did i start that post??? You don't think I've been doing my research now and started coming to some conclusions??? Or should i stay dumb?

Reactions: mister.c.
handbagsatdawn.gif

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant and RyanJonS4
i love this age old debate :D
I run vpower diesel just because i love my car and want it to run forever so pick the better stuff.. no reasoning on BHP, MPG or anything else, I just want to make her last, and the below reason:

I had a mapped 1.8t mk4 golf which I always ran v power.. then one day I filled up at asda, and with no other choice I had to use the standard stuff. Got home and the engine light came on, took it to the garage as the code baffled me, ran fine and no limp mode, but said low o2 or something strange.
Garage cleared it, asked where i filled up, and they said never fill up at asda again, that was your issue, that stuff is such bad quality your car is basically sucking on goop not running on it efficiently (or something to that effect, this was 4 years ago now). They said they see it as a common occurence when customers used ASDA fuel.

So went home let it run out, refilled back on vpower and light never came back on. Warning duely noted from that garage.

I run vpower diesel just because i love my car and want it to run forever so pick the better stuff.
Exactly why I generally only put V-Power Diesel or BP Ultimate Diesel in the Golf. Occasionally it's had normal Shell in it when I've stopped at a Shell garage which doesn't do V-Power Diesel, but it's never had fuel from anywhere else in the 2.5 years I've had it.

Anyway I feel I must inform people of my decisions and conclusions. I am not after extra power I am just after a smooth running car. To me my car was not cheap so I want to look after it. I started this post because I was forced to use tesco momentum just the once and can gladly say I will never be putting that cheap s*#t in my half decent car. I have done a lot of research not just on here but on the road and various other sources. These cars aren't cheap so why put cheap fuel in? Whoever uses tesco, good luck to you and all the best and thank you very much for your input it has been very helpful. I find the only argument you can come up with for it is that you get probably about 5 more bhp and that's amazing!!! But that's not what I'm after, I'm after the whole package and it seems that shell is the one that can offer this out of the 2 and yes I know it's expensive but so is my car and so are mechanics and so is Carbon Cleaning!!! I'm still waiting for all the tesco crew to give me another reason than I've had no problems, get more power and have shell got proof. All I keep thinking is why do Audi work with shell and test their cars and design their engines with v-power in mind and not tesco momentum? Why do formula one cars use shell V power and not tesco momentum? Why do the aeroplane companies use shell and not tesco momentum? Please could someone answer me this? Maybe a tesco fan! Many thanks once again. Also tesco fans I don't understand why your getting all het up and upset? Is it the guilt you are feeling from not looking after your engine properly? Let's hope you can have a laugh about this and not try and dismiss my findings again because I don't agree with you :blahblah1:

Reactions: elpeterol
I'm after the whole package and it seems that shell is the one that can offer this out of the 2 and yes I know it's expensive but so is my car and so are mechanics and so is Carbon Cleaning!!!
fuel and added detergents are not hitting the back of the intake valves. By injecting the fuel directly into the cylinder instead of at the back of the valve, the gasoline and detergents can’t clean the valve and port

I'm still waiting for all the tesco crew to give me another reason than I've had no problems, get more power and have shell got proof.
Ive had no issues with my Tesco crap 99 fuel either

All I keep thinking is why do Audi work with shell and test their cars and design their engines with v-power in mind and not tesco momentum?
The S4 is designed to use 95RON so Vpower isnt the intended fuel

Why do formula one cars use shell V power and not tesco momentum?
I'm pretty sure Tesco don't go into such markets,although they did sponsor a touring car team iirc

Why do the aeroplane companies use shell and not tesco momentum? Please could someone answer me this? Maybe a tesco fan!
See answer above

Many thanks once again. Also tesco fans I don't understand why your getting all het up and upset?
LOL

Is it the guilt you are feeling from not looking after your engine properly?
My Tesco powered engine is in fine fettle :)

:blackrs4::greyrs4::nogarors4::redrs4::yellowrs4::rock::rockwoot:

At last someone who is not taking this all to heart and good luck to you. You should be working for tesco or maybe shell, you seem more qualified than all of the scientists!!! At least tesco have never tried to claim that their petrol is actually any good for your car! ;) But I think I'll still take my chance with Shell :p :respekt:

Reactions: xpoweruk
I love me some ethanol fuel ;) burns nice n clean don't ya know :hi::racer:

Doesn't it both come from the same stock from the same refineries but with different additives? and i believe one of the main additives in momentum is ethanol which burns clean. I generally use whatever is closest to me, either momentum or V-power (out of habit after driving a mapped turbo car for the past 5 years. S4 in stock form only needs 95 ron)

Doesn't it both come from the same stock from the same refineries but with different additives? and i believe one of the main additives in momentum is ethanol which burns clean. I generally use whatever is closest to me, either momentum or V-power (out of habit after driving a mapped turbo car for the past 5 years. S4 in stock form only needs 95 ron)
Thanks mate and yes I do know what it needs as in 95 Ron and it's getting stage 1 at MRC soon too. So what your saying is that shell is crap and tesco is better? Lol. Tescos gets mixed in tanker, shell is mixed at refinery I think but dont quote me on that ;)

Not saying shell is crap at all, i use both, just saying i don't think there's a massive difference between the 2. Definitely not enough difference to go stressing about it. Especially seeing as these are direct injection cars so you're not going to get the cleaning effects that V-power is renowned for anyways.

Seem's a bit of a biased article to me! but like i said, it's not something I'm ever going to stress about, shell petrol stations are very hard to come by where i live (20-30 min drive depending on traffic) but still see plenty of cars running high mileage so other fuels can't be all that bad.

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant and xpoweruk
Seem's a bit of a biased article to me! but like i said, it's not something I'm ever going to stress about, shell petrol stations are very hard to come by where i live (20-30 min drive depending on traffic) but still see plenty of cars running high mileage so other fuels can't be all that bad.
Well said :) but I'm just trying to put my point across now like everyone else, everyone sounds a little bit biased lol ;)

Not saying shell is **** at all, i use both, just saying i don't think there's a massive difference between the 2. Definitely not enough difference to go stressing about it. Especially seeing as these are direct injection cars so you're not going to get the cleaning effects that V-power is renowned for anyways.
You know what the really funny thing is? We are all in here debating this and all of these really important issues and in real life and the real world it probably doesn't even make that much difference, so I think we should all do what we think is best for ourselves and be friends and hold hands and skip to the park together :p

Reactions: Terminator x, James_TDi and xpoweruk
Thanks mate and yes I do know what it needs as in 95 Ron and it's getting stage 1 at MRC soon too. So what your saying is that shell is **** and tesco is better? Lol. Tescos gets mixed in tanker, shell is mixed at refinery I think but dont quote me on that ;)

you asked for peoples opinions and experiences and you shoot them down,

when 2 weeks ago you where non the wiser yourself,

you have been arrogant, ignorant and ridiculously pedantic to people who have give there thoughts on the matter (which you specifically asked for), no one really has said one or the other is s**t you have just come to the conclusion of that as you have turned into a shell fan boy,

people want different results out of there fuel so they opt for a different brand/product,

at the end of the day we could all be conned, who's to say whats the best, shell are going to say there v power is the best, cleans and protects and makes your car go like Vettles Ferrari SF16 car

and tesco are going to say you get more bang for your buck, its all down to preference, opinion and marketing

you like using V-Power

I like using Momentum

it doesn't bother me that you prefer shell, its your choice, but don't criticise other peoples choices

Reactions: Meemo, skiptowncat, feva and 1 other person

you have been arrogant, ignorant and ridiculously pedantic to people who have give there thoughts on the matter (which you specifically asked for), no one really has said one or the other is s**t you have just come to the conclusion of that as you have turned into a shell fan boy,

people want different results out of there fuel so they opt for a different brand/product,

at the end of the day we could all be conned, who's to say whats the best, shell are going to say there v power is the best, cleans and protects and makes your car go like Vettles Ferrari SF16 car

and tesco are going to say you get more bang for your buck, its all down to preference, opinion and marketing

you like using V-Power

I like using Momentum

it doesn't bother me that you prefer shell, its your choice, but don't criticise other peoples choices
I haven't shot anyone down and only replied to people the same way they have responded to me but could have guessed you were a tesco girl! CYA!!!

There you are with the arrogance again, petty remarks when someone has a disagreement with you

There you are with the arrogance again, petty remarks when someone has a disagreement with you
You slated me, I'm guessing you read every comment and saw how I replied back? I'm glad you like using tesco and I'm sure it works for you I have been trying to get this back to something light hearted if you had been reading the messages from tonight and things get lost in translation. I am having a laugh and people are taking it the wrong way, I am honestly reall grateful for everyone's input and if you knew me you would see this. I'm not here to make enemies just to have a laugh and try and learn. Maybe I do have a twisted sense of humour and maybe you should read my other posts and you will see. Anyway when I have replied in anger it's only because it seems that people are not trying to advise but push something on me and are trying to disprove the likes of shell v power, like you said I asked for advice and not biased opinions. And yes after these last few weeks I have come to the conclusion that I want to stick with shell, make of that what you will and maybe yes I am a shell fan boy but at least I can admit that. I hope you are well and I haven't caused you any disrespect, that is not my intention.

Reactions: RyanJonS4 and xpoweruk
Keep-Calm-and-Breathe.jpg

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant, Lavis89 and RyanJonS4
So basically,we all love our S4's & use the fuel we perceive to be the best for our requirements

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant and RyanJonS4

you like using V-Power

I like using Momentum

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...et-12th-of-june-northampton-sixfields.272331/
We have a meet at sixfields anyone is welcome to come, even you S400 CYA maybe we could have a chat there :) look forward to seeing you there ;)

Been using t99 in all my cars for years now without a single issue. I once used Vpower for a few months just to see what the difference was and hand on heart my modded Evo 8 ran better on the momentum. It just felt more eager and it also got rid of a flat spot it developed when using the shell stuff. Could have just been a coincidence but I can only go on how the car was running.

My previous car was a high power tfsi Leon Cupra and the previous owner used shell from the day it left the show room in Aberdeen as the garage was literally 200 years from his house. I bought it on 30k miles and continued to use shell on the advice of the owner (he worked in the oil business) and after another 10k miles it developed a serious misfire. In the end the inlet manifold was removed and we found that 2 injectors were knackered and bad carbon buildup. As soon as I paid a load of £££ to have it fixed I changed to 99 and never had another issue. I sold the car with 70k miles and again not a single issue. Is this coincidence?? Probably but again you can only go on what the cars telling you.

The only thing I will say is both these cars had issues with the fuel system, yes it might have been something other than the type of fuel used, however nothing else was changed apart from swapping to 99 from Vpower so make of that what you will.

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant and xpoweruk
The ethanol content helps IMO. Better knock resistance & cleaner burning

I logged my S4 with 3 litres of ethanol in a full tank off 99 & the knock was 0 so 0 timing pull across the whole rev band.
That was whilst running the 100RON map

This thread not dead yet?

Reactions: Kevin S4 Avant, RyanJonS4, xpoweruk and 1 other person
Hi guys, Not been on in ages, Sorry to Revive and old thread but I come across this thread via Google and wanted to respond to a few things Maxxed_Ross has said,

1st off, the additives are added at the same time as the fuel, ALL brands load this way
Its all calculated at the point of loading and injected together with the fuel. There is no chance of inconstancy as stated by ROSS. The driver doesnt stand on top of the Tanker with a bucket of additive and add what he feels is correct.
The precise amount is calculated by the Loading Computer known as an AccuLoad which it then injects that set amount. The driver has no dealings on that amount.
The Accuload is so precise that if for any reason Loading should cut out/stop with less than 500litres remaining you wont be able to load the remaining 499 or whatever due to it being off spec, Again controlled by computer.

There is only one refinery I know of where additive is loaded BEFORE the fuel goes on and its only one brand that loads that way, Its not Tesco or any other Supermarket. Its a BIG BIG name. There is no reason to load that way other than the additive not being available to load at the same time on the bay, Other brands use that terminal without loading that way. But again the process is computer controlled, No guess work or inconsistencies

I believe the current ratio of Additive to fuel is 1litre Add to 1000litre Fuel.

Onto the next point, MORRISONS take the crap no one wants, LOL
This is complete and utter tosh. All fuel sold in the UK must conform to BS EN 228 for Unleaded and BS EN 590 for diesel. There is no junk that other companies don't want.

All companies use the same base fuel and then add the relevant Additive Package for the retailer AT THE POINT OF LOADING.

If BP have a bad batch of Fuel out of PURFLEET/STANLOW or other terminal, then all retailers who load out of there will also have the bad batch weather it be shell, Tesco, Morrison or anyone else.

Fuel quality depends on which refinery its come from and where the fuel was sourced, and since we ALL use the same refineries it depends which part of the country you are in, but as stated above, All Fuel must meet the relevant BS standards.

I pull off say LOADING bay H and BP pull on and LOAD, BP pull off and Shell pull on to LOAD.
We all use the same bays and same loading arms.

I hope this helps clear a few things up, I don't want people being misled by misguided info.

Maxxed_Ross I'm not picking on you dude, but you have been wrongly informed.

I knew a guy a couple of years back who worked in the Shell fuel labs (something to do with verifying F1 fuel since it had to be from a regular pump... never knew that!) and he told me some interesting facts about "supermarket fuel"

Without going into the vastly complicated cracking process no all fuel is created equal. Obviously the fuel companies keep the top quality stuff for themselves, the supermarkets take the slightly lower stuff and apparently Morrisons always take the junk that no one else wants haha

The likes of BP Ultimate and VPower are mixed as part of the process, then loaded onto a tanker

Supermarket fuel - in particular Tesco 99 - is added after and by the tanker, so there's a chance of inconstancy there and it relies on the tanker sloshing about on the road to mix it.

When they tested samples of fuel some of Tesco 99 made well under that figure... so if you're running a high performance car it's really not worth the risk.

Also as an added bonus Shell VPower diesel has a freezing point about 8 degrees lower than regular Diesel, so during that -11 super freeze Scotland had a few years back my cars were both starting fine when the neighbors were spending upwards of 20 mins trying to get their Tesco powered cars started. The fuel wasn't frozen, but when diesel gets cold it gets thicker. Strange but handy to know!

Another thing that test didn;t take into account - the car will "learn" what fuel it is using, so should get better the more tanks you put through it

Last edited:
Reactions: jdp1962, RyanJonS4, scotty76 and 1 other person
Its sponsorship and advertisement, people are more inclined to buy it BECAUSE RACE cars use it it must be the best.
Ford recommend BP, doesnt mean its the only fuel you should use.

Tesco sell many many litres a week, around 1 million litres, With that many cars using it, if its as bad as people think why are there not 1000's of break downs

Anyway I feel I must inform people of my decisions and conclusions. I am not after extra power I am just after a smooth running car. To me my car was not cheap so I want to look after it. I started this post because I was forced to use tesco momentum just the once and can gladly say I will never be putting that cheap s*#t in my half decent car. I have done a lot of research not just on here but on the road and various other sources. These cars aren't cheap so why put cheap fuel in? Whoever uses tesco, good luck to you and all the best and thank you very much for your input it has been very helpful. I find the only argument you can come up with for it is that you get probably about 5 more bhp and that's amazing!!! But that's not what I'm after, I'm after the whole package and it seems that shell is the one that can offer this out of the 2 and yes I know it's expensive but so is my car and so are mechanics and so is Carbon Cleaning!!! I'm still waiting for all the tesco crew to give me another reason than I've had no problems, get more power and have shell got proof. All I keep thinking is why do Audi work with shell and test their cars and design their engines with v-power in mind and not tesco momentum? Why do formula one cars use shell V power and not tesco momentum? Why do the aeroplane companies use shell and not tesco momentum? Please could someone answer me this? Maybe a tesco fan! Many thanks once again. Also tesco fans I don't understand why your getting all het up and upset? Is it the guilt you are feeling from not looking after your engine properly? Let's hope you can have a laugh about this and not try and dismiss my findings again because I don't agree with you :blahblah1:

Reactions: jdp1962
Never had any complaints with either vpower or momentum. I will say that the latest version of vpower seems to be giving me around 30 extra miles to a full tank and I definitely haven't changed my driving style and it's the same roads to and from work. The car also made 354bhp on standard map with just an air filter and an X pipe running on vpower. Momentum is around 15 pence a litre cheaper here though.