Shocks & springs or just shocks?

B5NUT

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Been able to get some Boge shocks at a good price, but I'm now wondering if I should do the springs or just leave the OEM ones on? Not sure of the manufactor of the new springs, but I know you get what you paid for. Current springs have done 140K but they look in good condition (until they snap)

Change if you can afford it, but then again it would vd nice to do the arms aswell as they are all 12 or so years old

Got a HD arm kit on order, also thinking about doing the rear bushes. I'm getting the springs from gsf so will take a look at them I get there.

You should take any opportunity like this to improve the car, rather than spending the same money fitting new standard parts.

Thing is I am happy with the standard setup, I use the car to drive 70 miles a day to work and back, and around 68miles of that are all on motorways. I just want a well maintained car that is a close to OEM as I can get it (without spending daft money on Audi branded parts).

My only consern is buying rubbish (buy cheap buy twice) I've just replaced disk & pads all round with pagid, however I got the rear ABS rotors from ECP, tried to press them in and one snapped, the other I tried to heat up and then press in, that broke in two! Went to Audi and got the rotors from them and they presssed in fine. Retured the other back to ECP and they refunded (cannot fault their customer service).

Last edited:
Why not try finding a set of sport spring and shocks if you have standard ones on at the minute and not looking to go mad !

The ones I got from GSF were sports springs & shocks, as that is what was on the car at the moment. The rear passenger side shock has failed completely and the rear end of the car is bouncing all over the place, makes for an intresting ride!

I just wonder how many miles they have done, also are the springs different for the TDi engine, as there are dozens of springs listed in etka depending on engine, gearbox, quattro, saloon, avant etc.

Returned everything back to GSF, ask them dozens of times if everything I was purchasing was the "sports" version when I got them back home and reference the part numbers on the boxes they were all for standard suspension. One of the shock had even been used, and another shock had an A3 part number on it but the box was for an A4, have to say I won't be using them ever again.

Went to ECP and was able to get a good price on bilstein front shocks, it looks like EPC are droping bilstein in favor of sachs the problem is now they only had 1 rear shock left in stock and they are not getting any more.

Anyone know a good web site to buy bilstein from?

Last edited:
Are they B4 bilsteins?

Look up your car in the bilstein catalogue here:

Online Catalogue

Once you have the part number, look on motorsport world or euro performance for the matching damper.

Yes that's what I looking for. Cheers for the links, I'm also checking out eBay.de.

now thats really anoying, i had some rear b5 2wd dampers sitting for ages....... got rid of them as no one wanted them!!! DOH!