Should I extend Warranty?

Stevelolly

Reaction score
Had my Approved Used 2015 S3 for coming up to a year and been offered an extra years warranty by Audi . It's £300 for full cover with £100 excess , cars done 30k miles with no issues other than a coolant smell that is under investigation , seems a common thing but they can't find a fault . Now I've never extended a warranty and never needed one , I hate spending out on things like that but I appreciate if anything goes wrong with this car it'll most likely be way above the £400 outlay . Am I being tight and should just go for it ? Lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn
You could opt for the major components cover (even with higher excess). That brings the cost down a lot and still covers for big things like engine and gearbox and ecu.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and tigerhonaker
Major component cover only reduces it by £40 and higher excess another £20 , not a massive difference, especially if pay monthly

Had my Approved Used 2015 S3 for coming up to a year and been offered an extra years warranty by Audi . It's £300 for full cover with £100 excess , cars done 30k miles with no issues other than a coolant smell that is under investigation , seems a common thing but they can't find a fault . Now I've never extended a warranty and never needed one , I hate spending out on things like that but I appreciate if anything goes wrong with this car it'll most likely be way above the £400 outlay . Am I being tight and should just go for it ? Lol
For piece of mind it's worth it, less than £1 per day! If you didn't and something went bang you'd be kicking yourself.

Given my S3 engine has gone pop (out of warranty) and the full replacement cost including diagnostic, stripping the engine, buying a new engine, shipping a new engine, and finally installing a new engine comes to £18,380, then yes, get a warranty !!

£300 is a bargain :icon thumright:

Reactions: KenL, tigerhonaker and quattrorally
Doesn’t it say on the website?
Major certainly covers the expensive stuff - engine, gearbox, etc.
Probably doesn’t cover things like electric windows - can’t remember exactly.

Sounds worth it to me, I just renewed mine at around £380 and my car is same age (but mileage just over 50k) for all components and £100 excess. Had two issues sorted under warranty last year (including thermostat housing leak, which might be what you are experiencing). Bear in mind the housing leak is around £700 to repair from memory, someone here didn't have warranty and had to pay for it themselves!

Doesn’t it say on the website?
Major certainly covers the expensive stuff - engine, gearbox, etc.
Probably doesn’t cover things like electric windows - can’t remember exactly.

I couldnt see where it listed anything specific, would be worth knowing if All is worth it over Major?

I would say it is, covers all electrical and mechanical issues, except for wear and tear items obviously...

Given my S3 engine has gone pop (out of warranty) and the full replacement cost including diagnostic, stripping the engine, buying a new engine, shipping a new engine, and finally installing a new engine comes to £18,380, then yes, get a warranty !!

£300 is a bargain :icon thumright:
Blimey , that is write off level . What happened ?

Blimey , that is write off level . What happened ?

Audi admitted engine fault. Supplying new engine FOC, and writing off all cost to find the fault. But they're insisting I pay installation costs. Got them down £1000 from the quote, but it still need coming down in price. Don't want to rock the boat too much till the engine is here and installed.

Audi admitted engine fault. Supplying new engine FOC, and writing off all cost to find the fault. But they're insisting I pay installation costs. Got them down £1000 from the quote, but it still need coming down in price. Don't want to rock the boat too much till the engine is here and installed.

seems crazy for them to admit fault but then ask you to pay costs towards replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seems crazy for them to admit fault but then ask you to pay costs towards replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the same TBH. But they're saying as it's out of warranty, their good will gesture is good enough. And to be fair to Audi, they could have said no to the engine. I'd have then had to pay £2500 for what the dealer had done to identify the fault. I'd then be left with no car and an engine in bits.

The dealer has been pretty good to be fair. And have said due to the delay in getting a new engine (still no date) then they'll use this to ask for more money off the installation costs, as compensation.

End of the day, I'm just pleased Audi said yes to a new engine.

Still do not understand how the engine failed ,What is the failure , and what caused it ?
Think we would all be interested ( if you are allowed to say on public forum)

Reactions: tigerhonaker and quattrorally