should i give it longer

Boxxer1973

Reaction score
basicly had my S3 2 weeks now and still missing my old mk4 golf should i keep with it and mod it or move on ?

S3 is nice just bit too refined for me and missing the VW side of things so what you guys reckon any of you felt like this when you first had your S3?

got a custom code phase 1 on there it just all feels too smooth still

i suppose its all up to what you into really mate,

ive got a custom code stage one on mine, and i love it thats its smooth.

plus the S3 looks better then the mk4 ten fold. (my opinion).

ive driven many a mk4 and to be honest, when getting into the S3 it was amazing. seats, ride, build quality. my mates mk4 rattles like a b1tch.

plus everyones got one... but saying that there are some amazing mk4's out there.

catch 22 :)

What Mk4 did you have and what state of tune was it? Going back to a Mk4 is a backwards step in terms of brand, but I guess once a dubber, always a dubber huh?

Engine
· JBS04 Hybrid turbo
· Custom Code stage 3
· Carbonio cold air intake
· Forge 007 Dump valve
· Milltek sports cat and longlife cat back
· 4 bar fuel pressure regulator
· Forge FMIC
· Forge TIP
· 4bar fuel pump
· Tubular manifold
Drive train
· ECS tuning stage 1 clutch
· ECS tuning 13.1” front
· S3 rear vented rear discs
· ABD front strut brace
· B&W Rear strut brace
· Neuspeed Anti roll bars Front and rear
· Power flex Poly bushing all around
· Eip tuning Dog bone mount
· Vibratechnic Engine mounts
· KW variant 1 coilovers
· R32 Steering rack
Interior
· S3 Leather Recaro interior trim
· R32 Aluminium dash
· R32 Steering wheel
· R32 pedal covers

· Alpine head unit with 30gb ipod
Wheels & Tyres
· Kahn RS-S 18” wheels
· Yokohama Parada spec 2 tyres
Bodywork & Styling
· R32 Front Bumper
· Rear spoiler
· Hid Conversion
· Smoothed doors &boot lid

Euro .:R32 rear lights

I would start modding mate, start with the suspension, will make the car feel a bit more lively.

since i had the map clutch slips if i floor it at about 80 so that looks like its going to be my first 1k on uprated clutch setup i cant get a deffinative answer weather a std clutch would be ok to go back in or the price it will be. then shocks (are tie bars essential? ) or sell it on and get a mk2 20vt

you seem like you want to to get rid of it for the golf pretty bad. If you dont get adjustable tie arms you wont be able to align the rear wheels to your desired alignment i think. But as you seem so sure of getting rid of the s3 go with what ya thinks right.

i had the same thing with mine really - missed my old mi16 205.

But now ive used the S3 around the twisties here in devon, and on the motorway, it just does everything so well and i never want to be without 4wd again !

its called sentimentality
mk2 20v!! your going backwards
I wanted rid of mine but a close friend shouted in my face 'why you have a cracking car' so still have it.

Not being funny but you havnt even started doing anything near to what the golf was so kinda silly thought process tbh, just get on with some mods & you'll find the car will be even better than your previous, sentiments yes as Jase has said & the S3 8L is truly a wonderful car as had for 7 years & highly tunable but accompanied with some finesse aswell, something the R32 didnt have, give it time & throw some money at it & you'll never regret the move trust me as I can see you like to tinkle with the cars, so tinker away, you wont be let down.

its not that its slower i expect that. and thats what made me solf the golf too many mods making it unreliable. it just seems the running costs are massive and there are more common faults than the mk4's and they had enough. im gonna try and live with it for a few more months at least

As already stated, comparing your HEAVILY modded Golf Vs your more or less standard S3 is a bit chalk Vs cheese.

Personally I'd stick with it - I admit you're going to get I biased view here, but when the weather starts to turn you'll start to see your rears come into play some more - I wouldn't go back to FWD again

as said its not a power thing if it was id have kept the golf. i think its just the new car thing and listening for every new squeak rattle and clunk and wondering what it is. ill prob feel better as i start learning more about the S3 and understand it more the 4wd in the wet i do love already and even with std suspension i feel more confident on bends in the wet. im gonna at least see it through the winter as ive seen loads of good snow vids with quattros.

You see, time is a good healer, lmao, interms of losing your golf lol

as said its not a power thing if it was id have kept the golf. i think its just the new car thing and listening for every new squeak rattle and clunk and wondering what it is. ill prob feel better as i start learning more about the S3 and understand it more the 4wd in the wet i do love already and even with std suspension i feel more confident on bends in the wet. im gonna at least see it through the winter as ive seen loads of good snow vids with quattros.

A word from the wise:

If you are bored with the way the car is (S3) then throwing money at it won't help.
It will become very fast, with incredible brakes, superb suspension and one of the quickest things point to point in all weathers you'll come accross...but it'll still be dull as dishwater to drive.

You will get out at the end of a twisty back road and marvel at how quickly you've gone, how well balanced a modified S3 can be, how stable under braking, how it effortlessly puts huge torque down...and think you could have done the crossword whilst getting there, such was the level of proper involvement.

You can't do lairy power slides with any form of precision and control...what you can do is efficient use of traction. Not the same.

The S3 can be brilliant.
But involving?
Nope..sorry. It's the wrong car for that.

...and this will go down like a lead baloon with many, but it's sadly true.

I'm not saying it's a bad car. It's not...it's a fine car, and when sorted a brilliant car. It just doesn't thrill...

I have to agree. I love its traction, grip etc but it just doesn't entertain like previous cars. Its great for cross country commuting in all weathers and relaxed at it, thats what i bought it for!

I spoke to you at Inters Boxxer :) I think the S3 can be made alot more fun to drive if the suspention setup is done but compared to a golf like your old one not much will match unless you throw a simular amount of money at it like most cars nowerdays.