Shut down engine and check engine coolant

ConS3

Reaction score
Got this today after driving for five minutes. First time. Only 5000k on the clock.

Coolant was full. Popped off the top, out came a lot of steam. Oil temp was at 105.

Anyone had this before? BTW, it's 20 celsius over here, so I can't see it being related to the cold start thread I've read through already.

Last edited:
There is a thread here somewhere that people are getting that message, but the coolant well was below the minimal mark not full like in your case though.

Will try to find the thread for you.

Yeah I've pretty much read all the threads on here about it. Most seem to be related to cold start temps. Mine is full to the brim. Maybe too full? Hitting the sensor? I don't know. I may just drop it in to the dealer at lunch. For the third time in as many weeks!

Yeah I've pretty much read all the threads on here about it. Most seem to be related to cold start temps. Mine is full to the brim. Maybe too full? Hitting the sensor? I don't know. I may just drop it in to the dealer at lunch. For the third time in as many weeks!
Full to the brim is not good and maybe causing your problem, its a liquid and will expand when heated

Turned out to be nothing. The coolant system had lost pressurisation for some reason. That I don't know why. Took the lid off, tightened a few times, and the level moved up. All good now.

I had this yesterday. Also 5k miles. Checked the level and it was below minimum. Used a whole bottle of coolant to top it up

Where is all this frickin coolant going?!

New cars should not use coolant !!

PS you do know you're supposed to dilute G13 coolant 2:3 ;)

Where is all this frickin coolant going?!

New cars should not use coolant !!

PS you do know you're supposed to dilute G13 coolant 2:3 ;)

Haha nope. I went to audi garage for it. When he handed me the bottle I asked him if I just put it straight in. He said yes, never said nothing about mixing it.

Oops lol

From memory I think 2:3 gives you protection down to -24 deg C or something, can't remember exactly

The dilution ratios are on the peelable label.

It'll be fine for that quantity.

If you had filled the entire cooling system with G13 there would be a problem.

Reactions: RYuill
I've been having this issue straight for two days and the temp here is 35C... It's the same always red light, pop the hood, slightly open it, steam and liquid leaks and the coolant went up in the tank. Let me know if you have deal with this.

Well, it appears I've got coolant issues too. Warning light light came on and when I opened the cap slightly the level came back up to normal and is not moving now. Very strange.
Got it booked in for a service in a few weeks so going to get them to look at it and log the issue.

Surely if the coolant is being forced to the top of the expansion tank, isn't that air in the system ?.

Checked it again once the engine was cold and it's now sitting below minimum, released cap and it's still below.
It's either coolant loss or hoses expanding and not regaining their original size.