Sick S3

HawkeyeS3

Reaction score
So driving home around the M25 this evening from Woking to home some 70 miles), somehow my S3 just didn't seem "right" in the 2-3k rev range, sluggish response, and a kind of take-off sitting in to itself at 3k revs. And then we hit the traffic queue back from the Dartford crossing around the Swanley exit (J3) - I was in the outside lane.

Slowed down, brought the car gently to a stop and as I stopped suddenly up comes the message "Auto Start Stop de-activated, you must manually start the car". Now its done this 3-4 times since it was serviced a week ago, and normally it's just re-started. Did it this time. No. So traffic moves, and there is me, stuck in the outside lane with a dead car. I never realised that if you turn the ignition and it doesn't start, even if you release the key the starter motor will keep turning over for a preset time. On the 4th attempt!!!!! it restarted, but tickover very poor, sounded like it was on full choke, tickover was around 7-800 revs and it was not happy. Time it did this a few times as we moved with the queue, I suddenly had the idea to switch off stop start. That stopped it cutting out, but still had poor tickover. So remembering that in "Sport" mode it ticks over slightly higher, that's what I did. And by and large it limped down and through the Dartford Crossing - but it was all start/stop/crawl, the whole way

Get through the tunnel, and the traffic cleared - and she runs perfectly, pulls like a train, no worries. So give her a few revs to clear out any cobwebs that may be there and drive home. Had just over 1/4 tank of fuel, so thinking possible fuel issues (although there shouldn't have been), stopped at garage and filled up with BP Ultimate (which is what it usually has). Went to start her and after a few turns she cough's into lie, (but it sounded like on 2 cylinders rather than 4) and was a bit chuggy, so blipped the throttle to give her a few revs (which seemed to clear it) and dropped her back into Drive. Still a very unhappy tickover, but we drove home, again no issue so long as the engine wasn't ticking over.

Get home, park up, and stop/start kicks in (I'd forgotten to switch it off this time). Tried to start her, engine spins over, but nothing for 3 attempts then she begrudgingly coughs into life again. Moved her and parked her.

Called out Audi Assist, as not sure she will start again. They are coming tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'll find out what the issue is.

I think the start/stop module is goosed and is the issue personally. It messed around with the same message just after I had her serviced last week (250 miles ago) and the service manager then suggested that the module may be faulty (but as it appeared to have cleared itself, we agreed that I'd only take it back if the issue appeared again. Which I think it did tonight, big time, in the outside lane of the rush hour M25. Thanks S3.

Update tomorrow once Audi Assist have plugged their magic box in and had a look.

Reactions: Simon L
Yeah that doesn't sound right at all. I'm sure Audi will give you a courtesy car while yours is being fixed. You were brave to go through the tunnel not knowing whether you'd make it or not!

I wonder if our faults are related, obviously yours is clearly much more advanced though. How many miles have you done?

Just clicked over 8k miles on way down to Woking this morning. Car is just on one year old and only had its first service 250 miles ago (oil change).

Did wonder about going through the tunnel, but so long as I kept the revs up she ran ok, it was when I let her tickover I wondered whether she would cut out or not.

What with the rattly gearbox that has "appeared" (but only in auto mode) in the last 500 miles, I'm getting a bit worried. Before this she has run sweet as.

I'll report back what Audi Assist say in the morning - although having read your thread, I'm wondering if anything may show! Or even if the fault shows when we try to restart her tomorrow -(murphy's law may well apply!) We'll see!

We are in very similar situations then. I've done just over 8k miles and had a service about 500 miles ago, which was an oil change.

Fingers crossed it will show up on the fault reader. I'll be interested to know what Audi Assist say. Hope it's not too bad.

I hope you get it sorted......................

then I subsequently thought that coil pack (or spark plug) should illuminate the CEL/MIL

Coil Pack?

Noooooooo - I don't ever want to hear that phrase in the same sentence as S3. I think I put 4 in my V6 Golf and it was the old model, so a single pack for all cylinders... not cheap.

Hope the S3 gets better!

Reactions: veeeight
So............Audi Assist have been, we have taken my S3 back down the dealers and they will be looking at it this afternoon (hopefully). So what showed up was a massive overfuelling issue. Apparently it was trying to tickover at 334 revs, and when you revved it, black smoke and smell of petrol. We checked under the bonnet and it seemed like the connector to the top fuel rail was loose - however when the car started this tightened up. What he told me though was that he has been called out to a number of cars which have had issues when in traffic (notably in London), as apparently this plug was allowing misting to happen (poor seal), thus pressure was being lost and default for any problem is stop start kicks in and the engine stops. Removed plug and re-fitted and made no difference. To overcome this misting issue though, he did say that there has been a recent software update - interesting as before mine was serviced I didn't have this problem (whether they updated the engine software at my recent service I have no idea - he also mentioned that with the software update all the fault codes had changed. Either way, from what he could see, there was insufficient info to diagnose exactly why my S3 was suddenly massively overfuelling, so it was off down the dealers to get sorted (we couldn't get the info back on the codes showing for this new software). We wait to hear. Report already sent to Audi.

I also mentioned about the noisy S-Tronic - he had a listen and suggested it was the Turbo sliders. So they will be looking at that as well.

So that's all I know at present - car is now at Audi Southend awaiting an inspection so they can determine the cause. All they know at present is "massive overfuelling".

Once I hear more will update.

Just spoke with Southend Audi. They haven't had a chance to carry out a diagnosis yet and doubt it will happen before Tuesday. Now have a 3-door 1.4TFSI A3 to stroll around in over the Easter weekend, which will be an interesting comparison to a 300bhp S3!

Will update further after Tuesday then I guess................

Good luck with it! Hope it gets sorted asap with no more problems afterwards.

I've been down to Audi Southend before, all I can say is DO NOT let them valet your car!
Whoever they employ to clean the cars don't care too much about it, pretty much all their new cars sitting outside have swirl marks on them, and they are heavily damaged.

They must use some sort of rotary cleaning machine

Indeed Liquidfusion-S3, I 150% agree. Trust me I'm extremely picky with my paintwork, and spend a lot of time detailing not only my S3, but my bikes as well. No garage ever washes my car, I make an absolute point about it whenever it goes in, and when we dropped mine off the morning I emphasised same, as no harm in a reminder.

Not sure about the rotary machine, but if ever you are there on a Saturday morning, just watch the guy "dust" the cars in the showroom - same cloth from car to car......dear oh dear.

As a dealer / service agent I have no problem though, in fact find them really quite helpful.

@HawkeyeS3 I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the different steering rack in the 1.4

Obviously, the S3 has the variable ratio rack, and the 1.4 will probably have the standard rack.

I have to say that I prefer the standard steering rack, it seems much less work to get the car to hit the apex everytime, more intuitive, there also appears to be a little more road "feel" through this as well. This is all on my normal roads, so I know them pretty well.

The obvious difference is manoeuvring in small car parks etc. but I didn't really notice any additional turning required for B-roads etc.

If this was a de-selectable purchase option on the S3, I'd personally use the money elsewhere - is it £300 better - but it will be interesting to see if you prefer the standard rack, or the variable rack.

Had a nice run out in the A3 yesterday evening, bit of town work, some country lanes and some motorway, so a good run to try out - and veeight i have to say I like the steering in this A3, def more feel to it, you feel more as one with the car and what it's doing. I would agree that if this was an option for the S3 I'd go with it for sure.

The more I drive this A3 - lower cc than in my S3, I'm seriously starting to wonder why I paid out the extra for an S3, this little motor is absolutely great fun, quieter than my S3 has a good spread of power where you need it, and comfortable to boot.

Reactions: veeeight
Hi, is it the 1.4 (125 bhp) or the 1.4 COD (150 bhp) you are driving?

Having smaller wheels and thinner tyres will contribute to the increased steering feel as well though.

Hi, is it the 1.4 (125 bhp) or the 1.4 COD (150 bhp) you are driving?

I honestly have no idea as its a hire car and it doesn't go into that level of detail on the rental form! Is there a simple way to tell?

I honestly have no idea as its a hire car and it doesn't go into that level of detail on the rental form! Is there a simple way to tell?

Sorry, i do not know but i have heard that there is a symbol displayed in the DIS which is telling you when the car is running in 2-cylinder mode.
Perhaps someone on this forum can tell.
I test drove the smaller 1.4 engine and was surprised how smooth it felt. I'm seriously consider this engine over the 1.4 COD.

Having smaller wheels and thinner tyres will contribute to the increased steering feel as well though.

A little, yes, but it doesn't completely account for the more "intuitive" feel of the standard rack over the variable rack.

you feel more as one with the car and what it's doing.

^ This describes it perfectly.

The more I drive this A3 - lower cc than in my S3, I'm seriously starting to wonder why I paid out the extra for an S3

Haha, the seduction is the S3's ace card - the 300PS, coupled with Haldex, makes straight line traction completely seductive and addictive. The downside is that this is pretty much a one dimensional car, if only more thought went into the steering and suspension befitting an "S" car.

The 1.4 140PS and 150PS is a peach of a car, for anyone who doesn't want 300PS, I think the 1.4 is a very good buy. Lovely balanced car.

Well its certainly made me think veeight, I was going to order an RS3 to replace my S3 for next year, but to be honest after driving the A3, I'm not going to bother, in fact I'm not at all sure I'll even buy another S3 which was my second option (especially after all the comments on here about them going wrong, and now mine has gone wrong as well, I've kind of lost interest....I'm beginning to think they are more trouble than they are worth). Given the way this A3 performs, I might just spec one up and save myself some cash, as for useable performance in everyday driving, the S3 is no better than this A3, in fact I'd go as far as to say the A3 is a much better and rewarding package.

So just spoke to Southend Audi - mechanic there has diagnosed it as a faulty fuel pump, so replacement ordered which should be fitted tomorrow apparently. They said they'll replace that then review the noisy Turbo sliders. No idea yet as to why it failed, but I don't recall seeing that as an issue on here before, so maybe I've just been unlucky, it does happen. Fingers crossed the new fuel pump fixes it!

Reactions: Cymru09
I have no idea! Just that when the Audi Assist guy was checking mine over he said that "Those Turbo sliders are very noisy, we'll get them checked", and the dealer seems to know what they are as well (I hope!)

In Audi language I suspect it might mean "turbo replacement". Eeek!

Well its certainly made me think veeight, I was going to order an RS3 to replace my S3 for next year, but to be honest after driving the A3, I'm not going to bother, in fact I'm not at all sure I'll even buy another S3 which was my second option (especially after all the comments on here about them going wrong, and now mine has gone wrong as well, I've kind of lost interest....I'm beginning to think they are more trouble than they are worth). Given the way this A3 performs, I might just spec one up and save myself some cash, as for useable performance in everyday driving, the S3 is no better than this A3, in fact I'd go as far as to say the A3 is a much better and rewarding package.

Ah that old question on road engines...........better to work a lesser powered engine harder or under use a more powerful engine and somehow feel less involved?? On my bikes I think I 'enjoy' the less powerful/capable ones better as I feel I am working/pushing them harder than riding any modern supersports bike where I sometimes get off and think the machine was in control. Somehow the ease of big power/torque feels a little underwhelming as it is all a bit easy regardless of the number of wheels...........

Reactions: elpaulio
Update: So Fuel pump made no difference. 2 new injectors now on order.

Now my question is - why would 2 injectors fail?? I can possibly understand 1, but 2? But at only 8k miles? Still guess the main thing is to get my S3 back, then take it from there.

I hope not, but am beginning to wonder myself veeeight, although apparently the fault I'm having is similar to what is happening on a few Audi TT's (apparently). Who knows.

blimey that is so wrong at such a low mileage.
I use Southend Audi , and am considering a S3 and your story is putting me right off. That is not acceptable for a 30 grand car.
I will watch with great interest to see if it is sorted...

musicegbdf, don't let my current issues with my S3 put you off, until this happened it's been a terrific reliable car, and I've loved every moment of it. I also have every confidence in Southend Audi, to be fair to them they haven't seen this issue before so are working together with Audi to analyse and fix it and are keeping me informed along the way. It's unfortunate, but I'm sure it will get fixed ok, I agree its not acceptable for a 30K+ car, at this mileage, but then given the technology they put in cars these days, it's not surprising that at times things go awry and can be a so and so to find and fix.

tks Hawkeye.
I will watch with interest. I have to say Southend Audi have been good with after sales for me
my A3 is coming up to 5 years old this year ,but only 32k miles so not sure whether to chop it in or not. It is a 170 tdi Quattro sport so the s3 would be a nice step up... Keep us all updated.

Ok, so just spoken to the good folk down at Southend Audi. Car is all fixed and running OK again, however now that the fuelling issue is sorted, they have had a good look at the noisy turbo sliders and decided that the turbo should be replaced. Apparently that's quite an involved job, so won't be getting my S3 back for a few days yet, never mind, it's all working and the turbo I suspect is to play safe given the "rattling" I was getting so no complaints there. I'd sooner they went over it top to tail whilst the have it rather than rush it back, so 10/10 for their approach :)

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant, 15audis3, lucas-suisse and 2 others
Just picked up my S3, final "change list" for it dying was high pressure fuel pump, 2 injectors and the turbo which all needed to be replaced. Runs superbly now, and that annoying rattle from the turbo sliders has gone also.

Happy!!!!!

Reactions: nickatkinson, Cymru09, veeeight and 3 others
Just picked up my S3, final "change list" for it dying was high pressure fuel pump, 2 injectors and the turbo which all needed to be replaced. Runs superbly now, and that annoying rattle from the turbo sliders has gone also.

Happy!!!!!
Jeez, that's quite some parts for 8k mileage!! Gotta be incredibly unlucky there.

Good to hear all resolved though, enjoy :)

If it over fuelling and squiring neat fuel into the system, I'd be worried that it's all now coated the cat ......

Good thought veeight. Hopefully it wasn't over-fuelling long enough to cause that little issue, as once it was running (as opposed to just standing ticking over), it (seemed to) run fine. From when the problem manifested itself big time I guess I drove at most 35 miles, of which 4 or so was in traffic jams either trying to get it started, or keeping it revving around 2k revs.

Is there any way I can check if the cat is affected?