side lights

jungleman

Reaction score
ok so one of my side lights has gone, so now got the fun job of getting them out!
first problem is ive got to remove my evoms to get to it ahhhhhhh but that not real issue, the main one is, hoe the heck can u get to the bulb, i mean my hand isnt massive, but i can hardly fit it in to reach the holder, anyone got any tips about the best way to get to it?
btw got xenons
cheers guys :o.k:

You can remove the wheel liner to get to the headlight or bribe a lady with a tiny hand to help you, then pay for the inevitable broken nail...

If it's located in the same reflector as the high beam as they are on the halogen lighting it a right PITA I have just changed mine for LEDs, but doable without the need to take anything off.

I first took out the H7 high beam bulb as it in the way, then used a long thin flathead screwdriver to prod the side lightlight holder/base a bit, as the holder/base has been in there for a while they tend to get kinda stuck.

Next, I turned my back to the light and reach into the housing by extending my right arm behind me into passenger side lamp housing if that makes any sense! This way you can see kinda see through the gap where the H7 high beam bulb was, in good lighting. You can also see if your tugging the correct wiring if the sidelight moves.
Tug gently at the wiring until the side light pops out, then carefully remove by base. You should have popped the base of the sidelight slightly out of the socket its pushed into within headlamp with flathead screwdriver or similar before tugging wiring.

Hope the sidelights are in the same place as on a halogen light after typing that out :D lol

Last edited:
Getting them back in is a lot easier if you switch the sidelights on first. Look through the front of the lens and you can 'see' your way in with the bulb holder.

Just done both mine this afternoon in 5 minutes ( including losing one of the ****** covers down into the lower engine protective cover !) Bet it falls out before I can get it.!

When I did mine I used thin nose pliers to yank the holder out.

cheers for the tips guys, gonna wait till the weekend and strip my CAI out the car so i can give it a bash!

Very true mike having them on helps loads but I didn't want the PC brigade giving me an ear bashing for it :) lol

I am currently looking at upgrading my bulbs I want some nice bright sides not that wee yellow collour what are the led ones like. And halfords are advertising some bulbs I think ther called brilliance there two for 19 quid what you think ?

Those are the ones I have.. Look much better than standard, much better match to my xenons :)

Are they brighter ? The halfords ones are supposed to be 90percent bringhter than standard. Also what are good side ligh ones in white or a blue tint ?

anyone know where to get much brighter main / dipped bulbs

Is it best to take the wheel arch liner out to change the front indicators bulbs ?

Absolute rubbish. Which plastic case is going to melt ?

The sidelight bulb (led) does not give off any heat (worth mentioning) and the main beam bulb is no where near it to cause a problem !

No led has any heat output because it's purely light.

Jonay - I've just re-read the thread and I think you must be referring to headlight bulbs, not sidelight bulbs.

Please clarify what problem you are anticipating.

Phillips Extreme Plus or Osram Nightbreakers.

Both good and far better that the Halfords ones.

Please do a search on this forum as there are loads of threads giving the information.

And I think you need H7 not H4

thanks mike you seen like a person in the know ( any idear where i can get a better boot light )

thanks mike you seen like a person in the know ( any idear where i can get a better boot light )

Not sure if you're being serious but if you are, no I haven't, but try taking the bulb out and looking on ebay for an equivalent LED one.

Sorry, that's all !

Absolute rubbish. Which plastic case is going to melt ?

The sidelight bulb (led) does not give off any heat (worth mentioning) and the main beam bulb is no where near it to cause a problem !

No led has any heat output because it's purely light.

Jonay - I've just re-read the thread and I think you must be referring to headlight bulbs, not sidelight bulbs.

Please clarify what problem you are anticipating.

I'm referring to the sidelights that are in the link I quoted.

As the sidelights are only an Inch or so away from the main beam bulb (which will get hot when used!) that's where I see the problem.. But if it's tried and tested then need not worry!!

Not sure if you're being serious but if you are, no I haven't, but try taking the bulb out and looking on ebay for an equivalent LED one.

Sorry, that's all !

it wasnt a p take. i just hate those dull yellow bulbs

If it's a festoon bulb ( like the number plate lights ) you can replace with very bright led ones.

Not sure if the boot light is included in bulb warning system or not though ! If it is you will have to get 'no error' ones.

Check out the threads on here for led number plate lights.

I've tried a few of these LED sidelights, and the best looking and brightest have got to be these -

AUDI CANBUS 8 LED 501 SIDELIGHT BULBS 6000K RATED on eBay (end time 29-Nov-10 17:53:44 GMT)

Look pretty nice (although a lil bluer as they're 6000k) against my dipped beam H7 PIAA (4100k) mirror chrome bulbs, which are probably the brightest crisp white dipped beam bulbs.

wow those piaa are ****** expensive. i might go for the osram nightbreaker plus with those sides ? or do you think they will look naff agains those main bulbs ? and are those sides leagle ?

Yeah sorry missed the Q... the white with a osram or phillips is the way forward. The 6000k is a lil off matched for the PIAA but it looks spot on in the day time on its own :eyebrows:

I have recived my new untra leads side lights today. I dont get it what bit is the led.?

the 4 yellow circles are the LEDs I got mine yesterday.

they look mega odd, but they give out good light in the unit. though a little blue and make my headlamps look mega yellow!

I may send mine back if there yellow. I wanted white or blue thanks for letting me know. Get some pics up plz.

They don't shine yellow - they shine a blueish white.

What Jonay means is that when they are switched on the headlights look yellow in comparison !

Here's some pics.. Hopefully they come out in the order.. Sidelights 1; sidelights 2(different angle); sides & dipped; sides, dipped & main

d57bb18d-c90d-feac.jpg

d57bb18d-c920-35a4.jpg

d57bb18d-c93c-eb67.jpg

d57bb18d-c94d-1525.jpg

They don't shine yellow - they shine a blueish white.

What Jonay means is that when they are switched on the headlights look yellow in comparison !
i am with you ( good man) looks like the bulb upgrade need to be done final choice night breakers

Here's some pics.. Hopefully they come out in the order.. Sidelights 1; sidelights 2(different angle); sides & dipped; sides, dipped & main

d57bb18d-c90d-feac.jpg

d57bb18d-c920-35a4.jpg

d57bb18d-c93c-eb67.jpg

d57bb18d-c94d-1525.jpg

good job mate. i will attempt mine tomorrow ( hope it aint a ****** like my gti was ( remove front end more or less)

It's dead easy - you just need small-ish hands !!

5 mins is my record for both bulbs! Mind you first time was a ******!

Make sure you have the lights switched on when you re-fit. Much easier !

Good luck :beerchug: