Side Lights

mattyboy199

Reaction score
Had a quick look earlier into removing & replacing my sidelights although access looks pretty tight. How exactly do the holders come away from the headlight units.

Thanks

Matt

Brute force and ignorance to remove the bulb & holder from the reflector (/cluster)...

...It WILL need a bit of elbowgrease, and you're VERY LIKELY to swear, HARD. So try to do it without children around; that said though... For all your believing otherwise while you tug away, it will come out...

Push and twist to remove bulb from holder...

Regards,

Rob.

yeah seems very hard jus to get ya hand in there to actually pull the thing out.

Yeah the're not the easiest thing to get a hand to; and as I say, even if you can they put up a hell of a lot of resistance...

If it helps... and I must stress this IS NOT something I'd normally encourage; but I thought I'd check that the facelift sidelights come out the same way as pre-facelift; so I grabbed one of my xenons from the cupboard (yes folks - they're STILL in their boxes!) and had a look at that... Exactly the same method - brute force and ignorance until the grips eventually give way (with a sickening sound) and the bulbholder pops out... (and here's the bit I wouldn't normally encourage)... it seems the wires are pretty well fixed in the holder, as I was able to pull at those to get the holder out without breaking them... Try as a last resort and at your own risk on that one though...

Regards,

Rob.

Rob is spot on.

The bulb went on the passenger side by the battery, I tried to get the holder out, no luck, I removed the battery cover and tried again, it's very tight in there, still no luck!

Feeling rather ashamed of myself for not being able to change a bulb I took it to our mechanic (company car) who spent 20 mins getting it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, that made me feel better anyway. Next time I had to do it I grabbed the cables, not a good idea but easier.

Kev.

so you jus pull the bulb holder from the headlight unit ? not twist action like the indicator bulbs. Also the side light bulbs are the wedge type arent they ?

Matt

[ QUOTE ]
so it is a twist & pull then ?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's just when removing the bulb from the holder (exactly like a standard bayonet-fitting mains lamp) - but I guess that's obvious when you look at the bulb - Sorry!

To remove the holder from the cluster, there's no twist required... Just a good tug.

Regards,

Rob.

Matt,

IIRC it is a twist and pull, the twist is easy but pulling it out takes the effort, and as I say, there is so little space, especially on the passenger side.

Let someone else confirm it's twist and pull then set aside 30mins to do it, keep at it mate, it will come out, just practice.

Kev.

just pull them. they are a push fit.

same for the w5w bulbs. push fit into holder.

had a go earlier today & its tuff couldnt even get the drivers side out. Would it not be easier to jus to remove the headlight or would that be a mistake with the Xeon units.

headlights out is a bumper off job.

percivere.

Mine have been in and out a few times trying different bulbs, and i still have to tug on the wires, but it takes longer to remove the engine bay trims than swap the bulbs.

its probably the only way you can get them out in situe.

However, be aware, whilst they havent broke, and are quite tough, I have the ability to repair mine, and source spares if i break mine.

there is a risk, but its a small one.

Took your advise Paul & jus gave the wires a good yank & they both came out first time with no disturbance to the wiring. To be honest i think thats the only way to get em out, the PIAA twin LED's look pretty cool to ! much better bright white ;-)