Slight Judder whilst driving

bobby_s3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have had this slight judder for a while, which is driving me mad!

So far i have had the following work done to the car:

• Wheels balanced twice (6 months apart)
  • New driveshaft by Stratsone BMW (dealership who i bought the car off)
  • New transfer/bevel box (audi warranty)
  • New engine mount (audi warranty)
  • New gearbox mount (audi warranty)
  • New disc and pads (audi warranty/good will)
Only thing i havent done is have 4 wheel alignment done - Can this cause a judder?

When driving over 80 mph i get this slight judder on my car, which will last up until 90/100 mph. Then when I come to brake, i can feel it through my steering wheel. This judder is not always present, plus i dont think my brakes are warped, as they were replaced less than 2k miles ago. It feels like there is a warp or something loose elsewhere but I cannot for the life of me figure out what!

I can take it back to Audi but sometimes they are reluctant to do work as its extended warranty and can only claim cost back if something is actually broken? Doesnt make sense to me either!

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be great!

When driving over 80 mph i get this slight judder on my car, which will last up until 90/100 mph. Then when I come to brake, i can feel it through my steering wheel. This judder is not always present, plus i dont think my brakes are warped, as they were replaced less than 2k miles ago. I

Front wheel out-of-balance vibration is not unusual on the 8P RS3 so double/double check front wheel balance.

That that you are feeling though the steering wheel is most likely brake pad contamination on the front discs. Ok, so the outside faces look clean, etc, but have you checked the inside faces; worth a look. Friction pad build up is not unusual at 2K miles, depending on driving habits and not braking 'hard' enough.

Doubt very much you have a warped brake disc - unless you've been track pounding...

Washing wheels and not drying off discs and pads is not good practice. Neither is sitting stationary with foot-on-brakes.

The front brake arrangement of the RS3 does have problems so anything you can do to prevent issues will prove beneficial in the long run.

I use EBC Redstuff, as said soooooo many times, and zero issues on a 2011 car; just sayin'

Reactions: bobby_s3
I had this and it turned out to be a warped shaft in the transfer box, replaced under warranty and it’s spot on!

Reactions: bobby_s3

Front wheel out-of-balance vibration is not unusual on the 8P RS3 so double/double check front wheel balance.

That that you are feeling though the steering wheel is most likely brake pad contamination on the front discs. Ok, so the outside faces look clean, etc, but have you checked the inside faces; worth a look. Friction pad build up is not unusual at 2K miles, depending on driving habits and not braking 'hard' enough.

Doubt very much you have a warped brake disc - unless you've been track pounding...

Washing wheels and not drying off discs and pads is not good practice. Neither is sitting stationary with foot-on-brakes.

The front brake arrangement of the RS3 does have problems so anything you can do to prevent issues will prove beneficial in the long run.

I use EBC Redstuff, as said soooooo many times, and zero issues on a 2011 car; just sayin'

Thanks for the reply, I will check the wheel balance again and also check the pads on the discs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this and it turned out to be a warped shaft in the transfer box, replaced under warranty and it’s spot on!

Now I’m confused, as they have replaced the transfer box under warranty already...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they also performed the force wheel balance as per what John said, but having been given a look at the bad transfer box I got to see first hand how bad it actually was