Slight vibration from rear - Only between 60-70MPH

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I recently purcahse an 07 Audi A3 SE which has 2 weeks old MOT as well. Everything is good apart from one little niggle. There is a slight vibration (I do mean slight but noticeable) between 60-70 MPH. There isn't anything @ 80. One thing is though that rear tyres have only got about 3MM of tread left.

Could it be bcause of that or balancing or the bushes ? Any ideas ?

Cheers

I get something very similar on my 2007 A3 at around 60-65 mph. It's so slight it's hardly there at all. Thinking it probably requires wheels balancing. It's maybe only slightly biased towards the rear.

Wheel balance or slight buckle are my first things to look for. At tyre centre they will be able to check both.

Thanks for the quick replies chaps. Appreciate it. dan77, it's not a Quattro. BoutTime/MrLapou, I have a feeling it requires balancing.

BoutTime - Have you had the problem for a while?

Only had the car a couple of weeks. Previous owner was a friend's Dad. He only averaged about 3800 miles a year for the 6 years he had it. In fact he just had the tyres replaced for the first time as the original fits very perished. And they had plenty of tread left too. So probably is wheel balancing. Cam belt and water pump replaced too!

Thanks for that info BoutTime. I thought changing currently worn tyre with a part worn and getting it balanced might work, but it hasn't. The reason I am reluctant in changing tyres to brand new ones is because I want to change the alloys since my current ones are bad :p - If you get around solving your problem before mine, do let me know.
Cheers

Hi folks,
I've just been through exactly the same thing with my A3 Quattro.
Had it in the garage a few times and they couldn't find out what the problem was, so got it sent to Wearside Audi
they diagnosed the propshaft, thankfully it's under warranty so they ordered a new propshaft and fitted it in a couple off days.

Long story short, problem completely gone, like a new car again, also while it was in the garage the first time they fitted a new Turbo because they thought that was causing the problem originally,
so new propshaft and Turbo, and back to enjoying the motor again.

Hope that helps.

Cheers mate. Mine isn't a quattro. But mine is probably down to a wonky alloy.