Smallest size wheel on S3? Can you go lower than 17''?

JoeD

Reaction score
Just wondering really, whats the smallest size wheel people have run on an S3? is 16'' possible? or even 15'' haha!!

Yes, I stuck my 16" winter wheels on yesterday. From an Audit TT, just watch your offset. Miles of clearance around the broke calliper still.

depends on what brakes you got and what offset wheels you are planning to use

16"s will fit over standard S3 brakes though if you need to.

Tried to fit 15's myself for winter tyres, couldn't get standard steel rims or alloys to fit. Have fitted 16" VW steel rims on it for the winter, fitted no problem.

15's just fit on my 1.8T for winter so i guess S3 needs to go atleast one size bigger....

16s would be a minimum. Biggest brakes you can fit under certain 15" wheels are 300mm but its tight. So 312s will never fit!

Last edited:
I use my old Avus 17's as winter wheels...

Most people replace their S3 Avus's for 18's or other most of the time anyway so why not reuse them rather than sell on...

I have another set kicking around somewhere too for some reason... lol

<tuffty/>

Hi there,

It depends which model you have exactly :

Tyre sizes specified by the manufacturer for the Audi S3 1.8 T 210 (since 1999) and the Audi S3 1.8 T 225 (2001) are as follows :

• 225 40 R18 88 Y
  • 225 45 R17 91 Y
  • 205 55 R16 91 H (Winter dimensions)
I hope this helps ! :thumbsup:

16s would be a minimum. Biggest brakes you can fit under certain 15" wheels are 300mm but its tight. So 312s will never fit!

Not wrong there... got 304mm 2 piece with 4 pots into a 15" wheel on a Mk2 Golf BT project recently but it was tight as a tight thing!!
304x28-ap-brakes-7x15inch-prorace_1-3.jpg

<tuffty/>

Yeah wheels like OZ superleggera/ultraleggera have one of the biggest inside clearances. Usually what people used to aim for when fitting EP3 300mm brakes onto CRX`s and older Civic`s.

I wanna get 18" S4's for the summer and use my 17" Avus's for the winter! But like someone said above, tyre prices are steep! Anybody got any good winter tyre recommendations?

My mate had some 16" steel wheels for sale 5x100 a while ago, he sold the full setwith good tyres for £80.

16" steelies are rare, I wish i bought them for winter or when my wheels are being refurbed etc. Would be ideal.

A year ago I had a bora TDI (tuned) with S3 brakes on, that ran on its standard 16" ugly *** alloy wheels no problem. but they did look very close.

A year ago I had a bora TDI (tuned) with S3 brakes on, that ran on its standard 16" ugly *** alloy wheels no problem. but they did look very close.

They are fairly close, but I tell you what they are not as close to the caliper as an 8P S3 is on standard 18" wheels.

Cheers guys, I was looking to get winter wheels, obviously the smaller the diameter the cheaper they seem to be. By how much would the speedo be out after fitting 16's?

Cheers guys, I was looking to get winter wheels, obviously the smaller the diameter the cheaper they seem to be. By how much would the speedo be out after fitting 16's?

It shouldn't be out at all if you're fitting the correct size tyres to the 16" wheels. The tyres fitted to the 16" wheels should be 205/55/16 which gives you a higher profile and makes up the difference in circumference. This is the size Audi recommend for the car.

A rule of thumb for all of you (if it helps)

Take the disc size in inches and add 4, the result is usually the smallest wheel that will fit over it.

dont take it as gospel but its a rule of thumb that usually about right.

Also consider that most car manufacturers will design a caliper clearance of around 3-5mm (where i work we design to 3mm clearance) so its always going to seem 'really close' when using the minimum size rim