Smashed transponder chip in spare key

RoscoG

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I was changing cases on both of my keyfobs and managed to smash the glass transponder chip in the spare key. I bought some new blank chips off eBay, and popped one of the new chips into the spare key fob.

I can lock and unlock the doors with the spare key, but when I start the ignition, engine cuts out after 1 second and instrument cluster shows "SAFE". So guess I need to code the new chip somehow.

I still have my main key fully working.

Is there anyway for me to get the new chip working in the spare key.

I have obdeleven (pro) also.

Any help appreciated!!

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

You need to find someone to code the key to the car.

no sorry need a locksmith or someone who has the relevant software

You’ll first need to code the new id48 chip with the engine CS key and then adapt all keys to the immobiliser. For the second part you’ll need the SKU code. But without the correct equipment it’s not possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LEE69
Btw, when would this SKU code have been given to whoever bought the car first? Was it on a document somewhere? It's a 2004 A3, just wondering how the end customer would be aware of this pin?

Btw, when would this SKU code have been given to whoever bought the car first? Was it on a document somewhere? It's a 2004 A3, just wondering how the end customer would be aware of this pin?

You cant do it with just the sku, you need a precoded 48 chip as Neil advises, only then can you use the sku to match the key & car with vcds & the knowledge, tools to create the chip plus pull the code from existing cluster.

I know a guy who can sort it but need cluster & existing key to do on the bench.

Reactions: Troubs12