SMF & Clutch - DIY Or Garage Job

WorkInProgress

Reaction score
Evenin'

My clutch has started slipping so time for a G60/ABF flywheel and VR6 clutch (every cloud has a silver lining!)

Is this a DIY job or would I be better paying a local garage to do this job?

Rob

PS - I'm on the lookout for a suitable flywheel if anyone has one spare (I've posted a wanted ad in the classifieds section too)

I would say garage job. I did this job yesterday I had full access to a ramp and tools and it took 12 hours with a few others jobs done at the same time.

In contract to the above, I usually do a 5 speed clutch change in about 3-4 hours on my drive with basic tools. If you know what you're doing (through experience of doing lots) it's really not a bad job.

I think phill Miller changed jardo's clutch in well under 3 hours on the driveway a while back too, so it's definitely doable.

just depends on your level of skill / ability / tools really.

Took me and a mate 5hrs last saturday but we chatted loads about bikes and cars, had lunch and lots of tea breaks. Also changed clutvh slave, bled it and put a new starter motor in.

Could do it in 3hrs if you don't mess about.
Just need jack stands, 2 floor jacks and a decent socket set.

But i would of paid a garage if i had a spare £250 but i can use it to buy more car bits instead

well i did change manifold turbo dp cat wishbones, trackrods, drop links at the same time

Hardly the gearbox that took 12 hours there then Pete :laugh:

12 hours for a gearbox is painfully slow.

12 hour for a gearbox AND the above is pretty good going!

Reactions: kwistof
Cheers guys, I'm 50/50 about trying this myself but likely I'll just pay a local garage.
Think I may have found an ABF flywheel local to me so just need the clutch and associated bits now

Hardly the gearbox that took 12 hours there then Pete :laugh:

12 hours for a gearbox is painfully slow.

12 hour for a gearbox AND the above is pretty good going!

Thanks, as the box was out the way the rest was pretty easy. I can't believe the state of the turbo and manifold were in, if I had left the manifold any longer it would of come off in 2 pieces