Smoke from bonnet

Adam Vali

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve got an A3 diesel 58 facelift model 2L.

So my turbo got changed 2 weeks ago, after the turbo got changed there was oil leaks outside my house and occasionally smoke coming out from under the bonnet. There was no smoke before the turbo fix.

The mechanic fixed this, he said the oil feed pipe was leaking.

I was driving back from the garage and it still there was smoke coming out. I went back to the garage and he thinks that there’s an issue with the DPF.

No lights for the DPF have come on, nor has it gone into limp mode. The smoke under the bonnet does not happen every day, more like every few days.

What do you think this is?

What made the mechanic diagnose a DPF issue? I've never heard of them causing the engine bay to smoke. It does sound like a problem with engine oil coming in contact with a hot exhaust

Are you checking your oil levels? This would be the easiest way for you to see if the smoke under the bonnet coincides with the oil level dropping, indicating that it is probably an oil leak onto the exhaust.
Also, the smell should be distinctive. It won't smell like diesel fumes.

So I let the car run idle and revved it a little today and checked if theres any oil spits from the exhaust, i never saw anything.

Tbh I should check the oil level now,

Retroman, I've no idea where he got DPF from. Probs his way of saying "I messed up during the turbo replacement and now I don't know what to do".

If he didn't clean it after fixing the leak it might be leftover oil on the turbo/exhaust burning?