Snow Chains for trip to alps

Tommmygunnn

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for snow chains for the A6 Avant C7. 5 quattro? running stock 20" alloys with stock size tyres - 255/35 R20 that aren't crazy expensive. Everything I'm finding is £300+ but ideally looking for something less maybe 150 max. I don't want to spend a fortune on them for one trip where they may not even get used.

Only reason is I believe its a legal requirement with French authorities to carry them places such as the alps. If you get stuck without chains and cause traffic backlogs on the mountain roads you can be fined quite heavily. I'm sure the quattro would be fine but we will need chains regardless.

I'm looking forward to our trip in the A6, my dad and family will be travelling in his soon to arrive Volvo XC40.. Would love him to get stuck and my A6 tow him to safety

I believe its compulsory to have chains regardless of winter tyres or not though. I'd rather not get winter tyres as that also means buying tyres, having them fitted, then removed after trip etc or buying spare wheels etc its just more time consuming. Id need chains too anyhoo :/

Plus this week I've just spent about £650 on 4x Michelin ps4's inc fitting

I believe its compulsory to have chains regardless of winter tyres or not though. I'd rather not get winter tyres as that also means buying tyres, having them fitted, then removed after trip etc or buying spare wheels etc its just more time consuming. Id need chains too anyhoo :/

Plus this week I've just spent about £650 on 4x Michelin ps4's inc fitting
I think you need both winter tyres marked as m&s or 3peak mountain tyres as well as chains to drive in the alps now.
I had a set of 18s winter wheels/tyres for my 272 a6 Quattro and never got stuck even with the beast from the east where the snow was up to the headlights.

Cars driving in Alpine areas in the winter must use "special equipment" from 1 Nov 2021. Special equipment can be either winter tyres or fabric snow socks or metal chains.

Does anyone have recommendations for snow chains for the A6 Avant C7. 5 quattro? running stock 20" alloys with stock size tyres - 255/35 R20 that aren't crazy expensive. Everything I'm finding is £300+ but ideally looking for something less maybe 150 max. I don't want to spend a fortune on them for one trip where they may not even get used.

Only reason is I believe its a legal requirement with French authorities to carry them places such as the alps. If you get stuck without chains and cause traffic backlogs on the mountain roads you can be fined quite heavily. I'm sure the quattro would be fine but we will need chains regardless.

I'm looking forward to our trip in the A6, my dad and family will be travelling in his soon to arrive Volvo XC40.. Would love him to get stuck and my A6 tow him to safety
The cost problem is due to the 20" wheels.

I would ring RUD on 01227 276611 to find out what they can do for you.

Copy of the new rules here. It’s not just the Alps region that require “special equipment” any more :hi:

Thanks for the info chaps thats very helpful. On the topic of snow socks I have recently seen these advertised, and wasn't sure if they were considered sensible for proper winter mountain weather, or more suited to 'a bit of UK snow'. I'll certainly look at the reviews.

Thanks beemer for the RUD shoutout, i'll certainly see what they can do also in terms of chains as their website looks good.

eBay has 3 sets of 17" wheels fitted with winter tyres at the moment. You could sell them again on your return and you might lose a mere £50 or so.

eBay has 3 sets of 17" wheels fitted with winter tyres at the moment. You could sell them again on your return and you might lose a mere £50 or so.

Got to watch out the 17s don’t fit under some brake configurations.

Got to watch out the 17s don’t fit under some brake configurations.
One does indeed have to watch out. However the 17"s do fit over the brakes on my 2014 BiTDi. - hence my comment to the OP.

If you check out the relevant brochure, you would see that a BiTDi in SE spec would have come from the factory on 17" wheels.

I agree that the 17" wheels are seldom seen- indeed the previous owner of my car (an SE) upgraded to the optional 20" alloys. He really did not want an SE at all, but at the time it was the only way to avoid an all-black interior.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlS3BE